Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th December 2018, 20.00:15   #19-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: ers
Twitter: @

Default Re: Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be

Late 70s playing Newcastle at the racecourse . Someone threw a golf ball with a six inch nail knocked through it onto the kop.
I thought some twat has made that up north and carried all the way here . Could have blinded some poor soul .
Proper bar. Steward that twit .
Old 8th December 2018, 20.02:54   #20-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Anyone remember the home game versus Grimsby in the fog. Couldn't see the half way line
Remember that as if it was yesterday - still to this day I have never seen such a game continue because you just couldn't see beyond the half way line.
Must have been in the late 70's early 80's ?

Was a teenager at the time and so brassed off at the end that we wrote in letters of complaint to the club - actually got a nice reply.

Apparently we lost 0 - 2 but we saw nothing from the Kop and it could have been 10 - 9 for all we know.

As for other weather extremes - the home game relegation dog fight v Colchester United when we were down 1 - 2 then second half kicked towards the kop - the gods were on our side because the wind got up - it snowed, sleeted. rained and the whole lot was coming into the faces of their defenders - we ended up winning 3 - 2 with Gary Worthington in the side and playing in red & white vertical striped shirts & black shorts - Mick Mills was the Colchester manager.

Other memories - there are so many to recall but :

The magical night at Northampton when we were promoted.

Johnny Hunt dispatching the penalty at Wembley to win us the Trophy before a crowd of 36,000.

The first season in League 2 (today's Championship) playing regularly v some very big clubs - first 3 home games that season v Brighton, Leicester and Newcastle.

A packed away terrace at Sealand Road on a clear cold December night in the LDV Trophy, with us playing in all green and Roger Preece scoring a diving header for us infront of the away fans - we won 1 - 2 - then later when the national news broke and realising that whilst we were watching a football match a plane full of passengers was passing over us somewhere in the dark night sky in the general south / north direction towards Lockerbie.
Old 8th December 2018, 20.11:23   #21-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Wrexham 1 Gillingham 0 on 6th May 2000 was a memorable day. Gillingham needed a win to go up to the second tier for the first time from what I remember. Must’ve been well over 2,000 away fans. Mark McGregor scored the only goal, smashed it in. Brilliant atmosphere that day. I’m sure Chris Kamara was there for Sky Sports just by the side of the pitch. If he wasn’t then he definitely was a year later when Millwall came to town at the end of the season, needing.a point to go up. The two days were completely different. The away fans were completely different. When Millwall came to town, it was the first time I ever saw away fans trying to kick off with home fans in the Miners Welfare Club on Grosvenor Road. They were kicking off with the shoppers outside Woolworths! Even with nothing to play for, it was always a good day out in town welcoming the away fans with a lot to play for. We were a force on the pitch then. Third tier, no-one’s pushover. Best years of my life watching Wrexham as a young man. Meet at 12 in the bowling green and see where the day ends up!
Old 8th December 2018, 20.14:31   #22-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: The Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Anyone remember the home game versus Grimsby in the fog. Couldn't see the half way line
I remember their fans singing "who scored, who scored" after one of the goals. I think it finished 2-0 to Grimsby.
Old 8th December 2018, 21.29:54   #23-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRed View Post
I remember their fans singing "who scored, who scored" after one of the goals. I think it finished 2-0 to Grimsby.
Pretty sure this game was in L2 (today's equivalent of the Championship)
Played on Saturday 31 January 1981 with a 3.00 pm kick off - attendance 5,619 - and my thoughts exactly with the scoreline - apparently we lost 0 - 2 but I personally have no proof lol !
Old 8th December 2018, 21.34:23   #24-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasby Red View Post
Wrexham 1 Gillingham 0 on 6th May 2000 was a memorable day. Gillingham needed a win to go up to the second tier for the first time from what I remember. Must’ve been well over 2,000 away fans. Mark McGregor scored the only goal, smashed it in.
Think it was at least 4, maybe 5 thousand.
They had the whole of the stand behind the goal and a fair bit of the mold road and yale stands as well.
Old 9th December 2018, 10.10:13   #25-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Remember turning up at Gigg Lane on a coach in the 80’s & eager to get concessions we headed to the offices, an old fella greeted us as we approached & one of our group said “We’re the team, were do we go?”, unbelievably the chap marched over to a door, opened it & said “in you go, dressing rooms on the right, pitch is straight on & the bar is upstairs” . . . . Well, we all made straight for the pitch & walked around it for a good 5-10 minutes prodding it with your feet, like they do on Cup Final day, some lads were in the dugout barking out pretend team instructions.
All was going well until a huge police seargent appeared & whacked the top of the dugout with his truncheon before barking out some obscenity & telling us we better move it, & quick!
Can’t even remember the score! But it was a nice warm day.
Old 9th December 2018, 10.13:30   #26-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
Remember turning up at Gigg Lane on a coach in the 80’s & eager to get concessions we headed to the offices, an old fella greeted us as we approached & one of our group said “We’re the team, were do we go?”, unbelievably the chap marched over to a door, opened it & said “in you go, dressing rooms on the right, pitch is straight on & the bar is upstairs” . . . . Well, we all made straight for the pitch & walked around it for a good 5-10 minutes prodding it with your feet, like they do on Cup Final day, some lads were in the dugout barking out pretend team instructions.
All was going well until a huge police seargent appeared & whacked the top of the dugout with his truncheon before barking out some obscenity & telling us we better move it, & quick!
Can’t even remember the score! But it was a nice warm day.
Love it
Old 9th December 2018, 10.29:36   #27-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

I remember the fog at the Grimsby game... hilarious

West Ham fans invading the pitch and running towards us after Russell's goal in the last few minutes at theirs in the FA Cup....but then they all stopped about 20 yds away from our end and clapped, then went on to demonstrate against their board.

And of course Trevor Brooking avoiding talking about it on match of the day that night

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.05:57.