RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113012-nostalgia-ain%92t-what-used.html)

Sir Crispin Lane 7th December 2018 19.25:09

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be

Thought about matches from years back and memories and thoughts you had of them , and whether the passage of time has meant they are right or wrong. Would love to hear old memories of games from the past. Back when managers and players seemed a lot more loyal.
Here’s mine to kick off

Rumblelows cup v Everton 1990. Their fans made no noise apart from clapping their 5 goals.

Early 90’s - Hereford united fans always seemed to have more fans in the Marstons stand than the paddock below. The only fans from that era that did that.

Circa 1990 - a dead ball , Sean Reck swings and misses the ball completely but knocks the opposition player flying !

1987 - Preston fans in the Marstons doing some weird clapping thing which involved them slapping their seats down too ( Think they may have already have been promoted by then so it was probably one big party )

Mr Wonderful 8th December 2018 09.10:17

Re: Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be

A few thoughts . . .
1. That Arsenal game......& the subsequent Welsh Cup game against Colwyn Bay. Memorable for different reasons!
2. Battering Real Zaragossa in the CWC at home, but think we drew 2-2!
3. Northampton away to clinch promotion.
4. Bolton fans everywhere on their way to promotion.
5. Home game against Peterborogh in ‘78, but With Preston depending on our result, some of their fans turned up to support Wxm.

Sir Crispin Lane 8th December 2018 09.38:21

Ive remembered another one early 90’s v Halifax on a Tuesday night the game was stopped for a while as a floodlight caught fire. Didn’t help matters as I think wxm went from 1-0 up to lose 2-1.

renny 8th December 2018 09.51:14

At home v FC Porto, won 1-0. Jim Steel scored the goal.
First Wrexham game, my older brother took me to it.:45:

pagl 8th December 2018 10.14:35

Anyone remember the home game versus Grimsby in the fog. Couldn't see the half way line :)

flynhater 8th December 2018 10.28:26

Halifax on a Friday night on a Promotion run in the early 90’s over 3000 Wrexham fans. However the reason I remember it so Vividly is because there were 2 fellas there with babies and I do mean babies in tow and they were feeding them their bottles. When someone asked them what they were doing there with such small Babes they said the Wives had gone out and they were Buggered if they were missing the game and they werent paying for a babysitter
:D :D :D :D :D
Start em Young I say :) :) :) :)

Todd Sweeney 8th December 2018 10.42:17

My favourite ever game is still the 5-4 win v Chesterfield in 92-93. The Kop had recently been closed so we were packed in to the Uni End paddock (as it was then). Great atmosphere, great game, and it was then I started to realise we had a chance of promotion that season.

TomWFC 8th December 2018 10.51:30

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2204521]My favourite ever game is still the 5-4 win v Chesterfield in 92-93. The Kop had recently been closed so we were packed in to the Uni End paddock (as it was then). Great atmosphere, great game, and it was then I started to realise we had a chance of promotion that season.[/QUOTE]

My earliest memory at the Racecourse - what a game!

NottsRed 8th December 2018 11.10:18

Trouncing Cambridge 5 -0 last game of the season when we went up. Trundle wasn’t there but we ran them ragged from the start. One of the best Wrexham displays I’ve watched.

Also think it was Chesterfield first game of the season and it was baking hot. Think they had a water break. One of there subs came on and I yelled a right load of obscenities st him. Move forward a few years and I’m working with him.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.56:53.