RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Big Den rejects offer! (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113023-big-den-rejects-offer.html)

Phils-an-alki 10th December 2018 12.46:36

Re: Big Den rejects offer!

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2205277]That is all down to opinions.

You back Askey, and there are reasons why he might be the right guy.

But others - myself included - think last season’s achievement might not be repeatable.

Askey is an experienced NL manager, which immediately sets off alarm bells in my head. Your fear seems to be that any up and coming newbee manager will up sticks at the drop of a hat. Keates and Ricketts supports your theory, but their actions are not guaranteed to be repeated.

Ultimately, choosing a successful manager has a big element of luck.

Furthermore, I agree that GB does not yet deserve cult status but, equally, you seem to want to skim over his proven experience - at a higher level than Askey. We are also playing better football since he took the reins.

Finally, having signed an assistant manager before appointing the manager is unusual and potentially disruptive. But only if the Board appoint the wrong man.[/QUOTE]

I back Askey only if it’s between him and DL. It’s a no brainer.
One has experience in this league, years of it, the other has none.
One has recently had unexpected success, the other has none and isn’t exactly ripping it up in his current job.
When did I compare Askey to Barrow? I’ll give barrow hero status when he’s earnt it.

Applying your logic to recruitment outside of football would be laughed at but you seem to think it’s fine to apply it here. Experience gets you the job. It’s really simple.

northwalian dragon 10th December 2018 12.50:31

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2205272]Or if some have agendas for a certain person to get the job here, continue to laud him and say "he's my choice" with little basis to that argument in comparison to other candidates.;)[/QUOTE]

You're talking about yourself, right?

redone 10th December 2018 13.01:00

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2205287]I back Askey only if it’s between him and DL. It’s a no brainer.
One has experience in this league, years of it, the other has none.
One has recently had unexpected success, the other has none and isn’t exactly ripping it up in his current job.
When did I compare Askey to Barrow? I’ll give barrow hero status when he’s earnt it.

Applying your logic to recruitment outside of football would be laughed at but you seem to think it’s fine to apply it here. Experience gets you the job. It’s really simple.[/QUOTE]

your spot on the mark here PAA

bowler 10th December 2018 13.03:06

On no account should the club appoint Askey did ok after how many years at Macclesfield ? A complete flop at Shrewsbury not a patch in experience to Barrow give Askey a wide berth he's not for Wrexham. I for one will stop going if he becomes the manager. Useless prick wait till January which I think is on the cards then Dennis Lawrence will walk cos his contract is up with T.T.

Ooh aah Paskin 10th December 2018 13.04:25

My only concern with Askey is his experience in non league! He has managed at this level all his career but only had one successful season. he 'Failed' at his stab of League management so does this tell us something?
Is this his level, and is he not actually that good at this level? Or have his hands been tied by budgets etc?

I'm not ruling him out but its not that sparkling a managerial career if you want to analyse it in depth.

On the other hand Lawrence has no experience in this league but has coached or managed at a higher level (just, in the case of T & T!) and would have Barrow alongside him for that experience of this level. Keates and Ricketts have surely got to be considered 'successful' despite their lack of experience as they have both been head hunted by league clubs, so inexperience should not be used as a dismissive element.

I don't know which way the board will turn but I don't think any choice or name put forward so far is a 'no brainer'.

waxcrayon 10th December 2018 13.07:11

[QUOTE=bowler;2205293]On no account should the club appoint Askey did ok after how many years at Macclesfield ? A complete flop at Shrewsbury not a patch in experience to Barrow give Askey a wide berth he's not for Wrexham. I for one will stop going if he becomes the manager. Useless prick wait till January which I think is on the cards then Dennis Lawrence will walk cos his contract is up with T.T.[/QUOTE]
Are you on a wind up?

bowler 10th December 2018 13.11:22

Agree. It could someone outside the box as Sam the Snake was.

bowler 10th December 2018 13.16:26

It's not a wind up not good enough he will end up at Chester or some lower league club. 3 months at Shrewsbury shows his ability once he left Danny Coyne took over went six straight wins.Sam the Snake is no better will be finish the season only time will tell.

southcoastexpress 10th December 2018 13.28:52

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2205224]Were you convinced Keates and Ricketts were the right men?[/QUOTE]

No were you?I regarded Keates as somewhat petulant and one of the bad apples who made life difficult for Kevin Wilkin who deserved more support.It was also rumoured that he wasn't too popular at Rhyl.And didn't he make a huge fuss when only offered a one year contract?
I was happier with Ricketts ,not hearing any negatives,but was concerned at his lack of managing men but this was soon dispelled and I was disappointed at the manner of his departure,particularly as he knew how much Keates had hurt the club and the fans by leaving us in the lurch.
Big Den would give things a go butAskey or Challinor have done well in this league and in my opinion would be a better bet to thrive on the bigger stage at Wrexham.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.40:56.