RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   “We think the squad is good enough” - Barrow (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113066-%93we-think-squad-good-enough%94-barrow.html)

riccardo 15th December 2018 17.21:34

“We think the squad is good enough” - Barrow

Interesting post match comments by Barrow- May not be any signings in Jan?[url]https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/barrow-we-think-the-squad-is-good-enough-and-the-players-had-to-go-out-and-prove-it[/url]

Haruki 15th December 2018 17.25:10

Re: “We think the squad is good enough” - Barrow

I think you are leaping to incorrect conclusions there. Barrow's comments about squad strength is relating to giving 90 minutes to fringe players, there is no mention of the January transfer window

Canadian Dragon 15th December 2018 17.29:15

[QUOTE=riccardo;2207257]Interesting post match comments by Barrow- May not be any signings in Jan?[url]https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/barrow-we-think-the-squad-is-good-enough-and-the-players-had-to-go-out-and-prove-it[/url][/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree. I think, in my opinion, that he was referring to the squad is ok to take on Boston. Maybe I am wrong, but that was my take.

riccardo 15th December 2018 17.29:59

He says we have a strong squad, Read between the lines-of course he’s not going to spell it out to you...

Prodigal Dragon 15th December 2018 17.35:35

[QUOTE=riccardo;2207257]Interesting post match comments by Barrow- May not be any signings in Jan?[url]https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/barrow-we-think-the-squad-is-good-enough-and-the-players-had-to-go-out-and-prove-it[/url][/QUOTE]

Don’t agree with your nebulous extrapolation!:)

riccardo 15th December 2018 17.44:11

Now now I’m not Theresa May!

dixienormous 15th December 2018 17.48:18

Game over if true.

pagl 15th December 2018 17.50:19

[QUOTE=riccardo;2207261]He says we have a strong squad, Read between the lines-of course he’s not going to spell it out to you...[/QUOTE]

I read it as for this game. I am sure he knows and lets see in Jan.

Red Light 15th December 2018 17.58:33

If there's a chance to bring quality in during January that will make a significant difference then I'm sure we will.

Today the squad was missing a fair few with injuries - yet we fielded a decent strong team who were miles better than the opposition despite them playing together each week - a vast improvement in attitude compared with what Keates fielded last season when we were eliminated by Harrogate on our own pitch.

Down to the last 32 teams already - four more wins and we are at Wembley for a third Trophy final.

benwilliams 15th December 2018 18.04:06

There will be January signings.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

John Neals Dynasty 15th December 2018 18.08:00

It will upset some he called Deverdics Devs.

Who's the we? Thinks the squad's good enough, surely we need a manager to decide that or we just going to employ a yes man for Barrow?

davewilli 15th December 2018 18.11:38

[QUOTE=Red Light;2207270]If there's a chance to bring quality in during January that will make a significant difference then I'm sure we will.

Today the squad was missing a fair few with injuries - yet we fielded a decent strong team who were miles better than the opposition despite them playing together each week - a vast improvement in attitude compared with what Keates fielded last season when we were eliminated by Harrogate on our own pitch.

Down to the last 32 teams already - four more wins and we are at Wembley for a third Trophy final.[/QUOTE]

Some good points, without doubt we will be looking to strengthen. We have had more strength in depth this season and today was a measure of that but it is starting to creak a bit now.

Gaz Wxm 15th December 2018 18.19:40

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46579999[/url]

redmatt 15th December 2018 18.21:32

Any other news on the in coming new manager?

redknight 15th December 2018 18.22:09

Barrow definitely thinks.we need to strengthen

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Dt4k-3VXo[/url]

Inside Left 15th December 2018 18.33:05

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2207263]Don’t agree with your nebulous extrapolation!:)[/QUOTE]

Nothing has changed. Nothing has changed I tell you.

redone 15th December 2018 18.40:11

if we dont buy or loan a goal scoring forward in Jan ,we will not get automatic promotion, if we do then we have as good a chance as LO or Salford ,whoever gets the job will get a forward in

blackbrookred 15th December 2018 18.43:17

He clearly means strong enough to make changes for today's game. The other way of looking at it is if means including Grant and Walker in the squad on a longer basis.

Bryn Tirion 15th December 2018 18.46:26

[QUOTE=Gaz Wxm;2207277][url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46579999[/url][/QUOTE]

According to that interview he hasn’t ruled himself out the managers job. His views on the job appeared to have changed.

moynkeepthefaith 15th December 2018 19.27:15

According to what he said we will have a new manager by next Saturday

Lets Av A Riot 15th December 2018 20.02:37

he is hardly gonna say "our strikers suck and couldnt score regular in a brothel" is he?

riccardo 15th December 2018 21.28:48

They could score today! Shame it was against a terrible team in the league below...

harrypothead 15th December 2018 21.37:29

So would anyone put holroyd and Fondop on from the start in the next league game? What ever people say about Fondop, he knows where the net is. He has been unlucky because Beavan has been brilliant for us. Also Holroyd need to play some games.

chesterrobin 15th December 2018 21.59:08

[QUOTE=harrypothead;2207335]So would anyone put holroyd and Fondop on from the start in the next league game? What ever people say about Fondop, he knows where the net is. He has been unlucky because Beavan has been brilliant for us. Also Holroyd need to play some games.[/QUOTE]

No!

dixienormous 16th December 2018 08.31:46

[QUOTE=harrypothead;2207335]So would anyone put holroyd and Fondop on from the start in the next league game? What ever people say about Fondop, he knows where the net is. He has been unlucky because Beavan has been brilliant for us. Also Holroyd need to play some games.[/QUOTE]

He’s scored five league goals, this suggests he doesn’t know where the net is.

OneLoveWrexham 16th December 2018 11.17:36

Lol, Fondop has done nothing in his career or since he has been with us to suggest he ‘knows where the net it’

davewilli 16th December 2018 11.32:12

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2207408]Lol, Fondop has done nothing in his career or since he has been with us to suggest he ‘knows where the net it’[/QUOTE]

Apart from scoring some good goals early season and a few in pre-season, plus one yesterday. He may not be the best finisher but he does seem to get chances and is a handful for centre backs. Goal scorers thrive on confidence and many of the top rated strikers have gone through long lean spells, but usually they get one and it starts to become easy again. MFT doesn't look the most natural finisher of straight forward chances but has the single mindness of a goal scorer but he needs to work at his overall game so we get the best out of his attributes.

I think if we can get a striker to lead the line in January it may do MFT a favour and lower the expectation on his young shoulders and let him play with more freedom.

RemovedUser 16th December 2018 11.54:22

Anyone know his starts to goal ratio?
And how it compares to the other ‘strikers’ this season?

noisy1 16th December 2018 12.03:03

[QUOTE=Redrobinman;2207426]Anyone know his starts to goal ratio?
And how it compares to the other ‘strikers’ this season?[/QUOTE]

Shit!

pagl 16th December 2018 12.34:33

[QUOTE=davewilli;2207414]I think if we can get a striker to lead the line in January it may do MFT a favour and lower the expectation on his young shoulders and let him play with more freedom.[/QUOTE]

Thats what we should have sorted pre-season.
Just look at Akinde at Lincoln and his time at Barnet. This is what were missing.

davewilli 16th December 2018 12.46:52

[QUOTE=pagl;2207440]Thats what we should have sorted pre-season.
Just look at Akinde at Lincoln and his time at Barnet. This is what were missing.[/QUOTE]

Possibly but a strike force of Beavon, Pyke, Holroyd and JMD should have meant MFT wasn't expected to get 15 plus goals in his first full season.

Hometown Unicorn 16th December 2018 13.02:06

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2207267]Game over if true.[/QUOTE]

It's clearly not true though and you know that.

pagl 16th December 2018 13.36:47

[QUOTE=davewilli;2207443]Possibly but a strike force of Beavon, Pyke, Holroyd and JMD should have meant MFT wasn't expected to get 15 plus goals in his first full season.[/QUOTE]

Well Pyke and Beavon are not going to bag a lot of goals. Holroyd had gone off the boil after Xmas so who else was left?

davewilli 16th December 2018 14.08:37

[QUOTE=pagl;2207459]Well Pyke and Beavon are not going to bag a lot of goals. Holroyd had gone off the boil after Xmas so who else was left?[/QUOTE]

I'm not disagreeing we need another striker, but it's not always about one scorer getting bagfuls it's about getting the mix right. Pyke and Beavon should score goals both with a bit of pedigree above our level even if neither have been prolific. Holroyd has always been fairly consistent but struggled through injury late in the season then Quiggley/Boden were preferred down the middle. Easy in hindsight - Hines didn't work out and JMD who looked the real deal early season has struggled to be the match winner expected.

pagl 16th December 2018 14.18:15

[QUOTE=davewilli;2207469]I'm not disagreeing we need another striker, but it's not always about one scorer getting bagfuls it's about getting the mix right. Pyke and Beavon should score goals both with a bit of pedigree above our level even if neither have been prolific. Holroyd has always been fairly consistent but struggled through injury late in the season then Quiggley/Boden were preferred down the middle. Easy in hindsight - Hines didn't work out and JMD who looked the real deal early season has struggled to be the match winner expected.[/QUOTE]

Yeh. Thats what we are all saying. Not just a CF but more creativity as well.
It means losing some along the way but thats football.

A CF will give us more shape. Thats the point.

RemovedUser 16th December 2018 14.45:24

[QUOTE=noisy1;2207429]Shit![/QUOTE]

That may well be, but his sh*t doesn’t seem to smell as bad as that of our other strikers. :evilgrin:
Official site says 5 goals from 13 appearances, though that doesn’t make clear whether that is starts or all apps (I suspect the latter).
JMD, as a midfielder has 3 from 11.
I have no idea how up to date it is, so he could be 6 from 14 now

Hightown Brymbo Red 16th December 2018 14.55:17

We have 4 tough games in 9 games.Really can't see players like Beavon Rutherford or Summerfield and others playing in all of them So squad rotation will be essential

Jaded 16th December 2018 15.16:48

[QUOTE=Redrobinman;2207486]That may well be, but his sh*t doesn’t seem to smell as bad as that of our other strikers. :evilgrin:
Official site says 5 goals from 13 appearances, though that doesn’t make clear whether that is starts or all apps (I suspect the latter).
JMD, as a midfielder has 3 from 11.
I have no idea how up to date it is, so he could be 6 from 14 now[/QUOTE]

13 starts, 8 sub appearances. Total of 1179 mins.

pagl 17th December 2018 04.12:51

[QUOTE=Hightown Brymbo Red;2207487]We have 4 tough games in 9 games.Really can't see players like Beavon Rutherford or Summerfield and others playing in all of them So squad rotation will be essential[/QUOTE]

Barrow doesn’t seem to have the same rotation policy.
Seems Beavon and Grant preferred up top and some sort of 4 man midfield formation. Holroyd and Fondop only subs along with Walker/Wright, Dibble and AN other.

We should always put our best team out in league games.
Bllx to this ‘needs game time’ stuff, off the subs bench for this.

Pyke and Manny returning is going to be interesting but not nearly as interesting as the new manager and Jan transfer window.
2-3 new faces and 1 on loan needed IMO.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.15:18.