Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd December 2018, 21.50:51   #37-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: How do we score more goals over xmas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
Against Salford might well only have one opportunity to score or might need a moment of magic so would go with Tolitt-Grant-JMD with Beavon & Fondop second half subs. Still cannot get my head around not bringing on JMD or Fondop when wanting a goal Saturday but going for the prolific Deverdics.
In reality it doesn't work like that though - substitutions are 'not planned' accurately and with the greatest intentions pre match things can change.

An injury or injuries, a sending off, a player totally out of form or out of his depth and being given the run around, a tactical change to counter the opposition.

I can see where your coming from though - my pre match plan would also be to fully utilise 14 pairs of legs - good managers seem to do this, some players have a tendency to tire earlier than others perhaps due to their age, fitness or the position they play.

I would expect the forwards to run their hearts out and give us everything - then perhaps be replaced in staggered intervals as the match progresses second half - introducing fresh legs against a tiring defence. This is where I was perplexed yesterday when we only brought on Holroyd for 24 minutes and didn't make another sub until added time - and that was only to cover Rutherford's injury - however, as I wasn't there those that were might have a different view.

Fondop looked lively last week v Harrogate, scored a good goal and came very close to another - I would be tempted to get him on for the last 15 minutes - he does look like a player that can create opportunities for others by his physical presence or create something unusual. At least he could mix it up a bit which others don't seem to.
Old 23rd December 2018, 22.43:29   #38-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
People joked about the froth when we signed Fondop, Pyke and Beavon, there are simply no goals in those players. Our biggest hope was Maguire Drew but unfortunately he’s been pretty poor. It was pretty clear we hadn’t spent hardly anything for our strikers, and the proof is in the pudding and the title of this thread just says it all.

Make no mistake about this, we dropped two points yesterday because of the dog shit strikers we have, it’s cost us already, but somehow we’re still in the hunt. We can’t afford many games like yesterday again, so failure to sign quality in January will just kills us again.

No excuses, sign decent forwards please, the ones who’ve shown the ability to find the back of the net please, yes they cost more than most players because they win games, like yesterday for you, like Bonne did at our place.

So simple isn't it Dixie? Just sign the good strikers in January...

You do realise we ain't Man City/United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc of the National League lots of money able to sign anyone, we couldn't find any in the Summer or last January.

If only football management was as simple as a computer game.

And a lot of the reason we don't score goals is the defence and the midfield need to contribute to scoring to.

But without a good creative midfielder any forward we have will be living off scraps.
Posted via mobile theme

Last edited by John Neals Dynasty; 23rd December 2018 at 22.44:40..
Old 23rd December 2018, 22.45:29   #39-0 (permalink)
-

Hi everyone. It has been brought to my attention that the boys have not been scoring enough goals recently and that is why we're not currently in the promotion place. Now, if you don't score goals you can't win a football match, so it seems to me we need to bring in a goalscorer sharpish. Luckily, the transfer window is about to open and I have identified a perfect target for us to go out and sign. That target is the Football League's best striker, none other than John Marquis at Doncaster Rovers! The Rovers are rumoured to be bringing in a Championship striker next month which will relegate John Marquis to the bench (the new striker will be flanked by Malik Wilks and James Coppinger most likely, the latter of which played his 600th game for Doncaster at the weekend so he will always be in the starting XI). A striker as good as John Marquis will not accept being sat on the bench so this would be a brilliant opportunistic signing and we would definitely win the league with John Marquis firing in the goals for us every week.

I also have to say I'm not happy at all with the new manager and I think we have to start considering whether we made the right choice. I saw today Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on TV and my instant thought was why didn't we get him in as our manager. Young, hungry, was a brilliant striker so would play attacking football and top strikers like John Marquis would jump at the chance to work with such a legendary goalscorer of Chelsea and Leeds United fame. We wouldn't be struggling to score as we are now and would be too of the league with opponents terrified of playing against us like when Dean Saunders was in charge and we were the best team outside of the football league.

As well as that I think we could do with a shake up in defence as I don't think we're solid enough to mount a promotion challenge with who we currently have.

Finally I saw Newell out on the lash in the Crafty Dragon after the Aldershot game. Is this really the type of behaviour we should expect of our senior figures? Are our star players expected to behave properly when our "mature" staff can't? I don't blame them for not committing to the cause when that is who they're expected to answer to. As I alluded to earlier, our management structure and team is a shambles. Barrow was an embarrassing appointment and I don't think any team serious about promotion would have hired him when they could have hired Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who would draw in big name strikers like John Marquis who is the best striker in the football league.

Finally again it takes so long to get a beer at our group and it's despicable. I went to watch Scunthorpe (who are as bad as us by the way but I'd love us to sign their defender Jordan Clarke to fix our defensive woes and help us to get promoted) the other week and I got a beer in 2 minutes at half time and they have bigger crowds than us. Why does it take so long to get a beer at our ground?

Not to mention the awful food options. At Scunthorpe they sold leek and potato pies, veggie burgers, cheese and onion rolls, quorn wraps and cheese cobs at the food bar. For a vegetarian such as myself this was a dream but the options are terrible at Wrexham. What sort of "family club" are we if we don't even offer good food options for young kiddies who don't want to eat dead animals? This could result in young talented players choosing to play for other academies and us missing out on top talents. Imagine if we missed out on the next James Coppinger because we tried to force him to eat meat? It's ruddy ridiculous. I'm going to contact the club about this shortly because it's frankly shocking.

I'm also planning on contacting the club about the shambolic management team in place and shocking players we're being linked to who won't get us the goals we need to win the league.

Up the shagging town!

Come on you Wrexhams!
Old 23rd December 2018, 23.28:53   #40-0 (permalink)
User

Racecourse Spot: anywhere

Simple our players need to shoot on sight of goal instead of telegraphing their goalkeeper by delaying the shots. They need to shoot when the shot is not expected.
Old 24th December 2018, 03.19:41   #41-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: On my bum

Eat less mince pies!!
Old 24th December 2018, 04.55:32   #42-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
Against Salford might well only have one opportunity to score or might need a moment of magic so would go with Tolitt-Grant-JMD with Beavon & Fondop second half subs. Still cannot get my head around not bringing on JMD or Fondop when wanting a goal Saturday but going for the prolific Deverdics.
How could you play jmd before Beavon,you have one player who has a poor attitide and has not played well since august and then you have beavon who gives his all and wins so many balls in the air considering his height.
Old 24th December 2018, 06.38:35   #43-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Hays Travel Stand

None of starting 11 on Saturday haf more than 3 gosls this season - any wonder we did not score. In terms of Beavon argument for replacing Grant with Grant replacing Wright in midfield which could work.
Old 24th December 2018, 07.18:40   #44-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoveWrexham View Post
I am a 4-3-3 guy but that isn’t as effective when the full backs do t get over the half way line, I also like 3-5-2/5-3-2 but that’ll make Tollitt redundant really. As PD has said on another thread Akil could play on right wing back but I do give Rutherford a bit of stick but he could easily play wing back.

4-3-3 I’d go with a front 3 or Tollitt, JMD and Fondop(even though he’s been dreadful recently)
3-5-2/5-3-2 I’d go Fondop and Holroyd
Give Akil a go up front ? cant be any worse than the others , remember NNP going from winger to C/B ?
Old 24th December 2018, 09.32:58   #45-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

We don't have a natural finisher / poacher in the squad so whichever formation or playing players in different position isn't going to have any effect on the goals scored. Only change will be if we can buy in some quality in the transfer window.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.01:19.