Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th January 2019, 10.26:32   #1-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Old School Vs New School Managers

Thinking about it last night have our best managers in the conference been hungry young ex players who use modern techniques but are also very strict on discipline.

Brian Little - Poor
Dean Saunders - Threw Money at it
Andy Morrell - Closest we've ever got to promotion
Kevin Wilkin - Start of the negative football?
Gary Mills - Nuff has been said really
Dean Keates - Boring football but got the results
Sam Ricketts - Again boring football but got the results
Graham Barrow - Same squad as Ricketts but can't get the results

Any manager we have needs to be a disciplinarian. Quite a few people on here have said that Ricketts and Keates were both like this, picking people up for little things. With Barrow + Mills you get the impression its the old school mates club were infractions are looked the other way. Speaking to an ex football player last week he always thought that affected things on the pitch in that you thought you could do your own thing.
Old 20th January 2019, 16.42:04   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Old School Vs New School Managers

I thought at the time that when Ricketts left, we should have taken our time and found a new school manager to carry on the modern techniques put in place by Keates and Ricketts. I know that Barrow worked with Martinez, so he may be continuing with the building blocks put in place by Keates and Ricketts, but I fear he may be old school.

I felt we were going in the right direction with Keates and Ricketts, slowly improving the team, hard to beat if not particularly exciting. Ricketts was building on the solid base put in place by Keates.

It doesn’t make sense that 2 seasons running the assistant manager stepping in has struggled to get the same players to be hard to beat, and we lose our clean sheets and concede goals every game.

Salford, in form Bromley and Fylde were all potentially losable games, however I have a feeling that Ricketts may have managed to dig out some goalless draws.

Last edited by Wiltshire_Red; 20th January 2019 at 16.43:12..
Old 20th January 2019, 16.46:46   #3-0 (permalink)
User

Racecourse Spot: anywhere

Very fair assessment
Old 20th January 2019, 20.58:48   #4-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsRed View Post
Thinking about it last night have our best managers in the conference been hungry young ex players who use modern techniques but are also very strict on discipline.

Brian Little - Poor
Dean Saunders - Threw Money at it
Andy Morrell - Closest we've ever got to promotion
Kevin Wilkin - Start of the negative football?
Gary Mills - Nuff has been said really
Dean Keates - Boring football but got the results
Sam Ricketts - Again boring football but got the results
Graham Barrow - Same squad as Ricketts but can't get the results

Any manager we have needs to be a disciplinarian. Quite a few people on here have said that Ricketts and Keates were both like this, picking people up for little things. With Barrow + Mills you get the impression its the old school mates club were infractions are looked the other way. Speaking to an ex football player last week he always thought that affected things on the pitch in that you thought you could do your own thing.
I'd be more worried about an old school disciplinarian than a modern day touchy feely one.
Old 20th January 2019, 21.16:49   #5-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy1 View Post
I'd be more worried about an old school disciplinarian than a modern day touchy feely one.
Is there anything to suggest Barrow or Mills is/was an old school disciplinarian? Anything to suggest Ricketts or Keates is a touchy feely manager?
Old 21st January 2019, 09.50:10   #6-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Is there anything to suggest Barrow or Mills is/was an old school disciplinarian? Anything to suggest Ricketts or Keates is a touchy feely manager?
I’d say the opposite. Heard from a few people that Keates and Ricketts wouldn’t tolerate any messing around. Mills well we all know what happened there. Barrow not sure.
Old 21st January 2019, 09.51:05   #7-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

Things were strict and very professional under keates, Ricketts took that to a whole new level
Old 21st January 2019, 10.28:29   #8-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: MRS

I think the issue is largely we have lost that extra couple of % Ricketts brought us in terms of intensity or training and preparing to face particular opposition.

The old school "let them worry about us" approach is what did for Mills and Barrow is cut from the same cloth unfortunately.
Old 21st January 2019, 11.42:43   #9-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: When I can get there

No2 assistants are just that for a reason - few can or ever make it by themselves.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.51:00.