RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Barrow Dropped Us In It, No Differnt Than Rickets (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113402-barrow-dropped-us-no-differnt-than-rickets.html)

Prodigal Dragon 8th February 2019 07.43:20

Re: Barrow Dropped Us In It, No Differnt Than Rickets

[QUOTE=3pmsaturday;2229122]He took the job then reneged. He didn’t go elsewhere but dropped the club in it by his actions.

Why isn’t it Barrow the snake?

It’s been said that he was pressured into the job. The guys been round the block and is certainly a grown up. No excuse.

The board acted in good faith with initially it seems agreeing to appoint Lawrence but again he let them and us down.

So Rickets, Lawrence and Barrow have all basically screwed our club.

He put the club in a difficult position which frankly they handled well with a seamless transition in tricky business and personal situation.[/QUOTE]

Your interpretation of events does more harm than good, wrongly suggesting an error of judgement by the Board was, in fact, the fault of Lawrence and Barrow. We all make mistakes, but transferring the blame merely compounds the error.

The root of the problem was extending Barrow’s contract as assistant manager before Lawrence had agreed and signed his contract to become our new manager, after Ricketts had left. Barrow had already stated he had no desire to be the boss but would use his rich experience to mentor an inexperienced, younger manager. Personally, I think a Lawrence-Barrow management could have been a perfect fit. However, once T&T improved Lawrence’s deal he decided not to return to Wrexham. This was very inconvenient for the club, and raises doubts about Lawrence’s integrity but, fundamentally, we jumped the gun.

Once Barrow was in place, for some ‘personal reasons’, he quickly told the Board he had made a mistake when taking the post. The question is: why did he take the post? Was it a late personal desire to prove he could do it ( an ego trip)? Or was it an act to rescue the Board from an unfortunate predicament (more id than ego)? I do not know why he did it, but suspect the latter. Spencer Harris’s unwise words at the time may have been in jest, but they merely highlighted the error.

I fundamentally disagree with all the vicious bile aimed at Spencer over this and other issues. His error is that he cares too much about the club, and does too much instead of delegating when possible. Unfortunately, whilst your interpretation may be a genuine attempt to explain the issue, it can be interpreted as chaffing and flaring in an attempt to divert an incoming Slammer.

IMHO, the Board made a mistake. It would be a bigger mistake to compound the error by trying to divert blame onto Lawrence and especially Barrow.

Vorporix 8th February 2019 07.48:16

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2229175]Your interpretation of events does more harm than good, wrongly suggesting an error of judgement by the Board was, in fact, the fault of Lawrence and Barrow. We all make mistakes, but transferring the blame merely compounds the error.

The root of the problem was extending Barrow’s contract as assistant manager before Lawrence had agreed and signed his contract to become our new manager, after Ricketts had left. Barrow had already stated he had no desire to be the boss but would use his rich experience to mentor an inexperienced, younger manager. Personally, I think a Lawrence-Barrow management could have been a perfect fit. However, once T&T improved Lawrence’s deal he decided not to return to Wrexham. This was very inconvenient for the club, and raises doubts about Lawrence’s integrity but, fundamentally, we jumped the gun.

Once Barrow was in place, for some ‘personal reasons’, he quickly told the Board he had made a mistake when taking the post. The question is: why did he take the post? Was it a late personal desire to prove he could do it ( an ego trip)? Or was it an act to rescue the Board from an unfortunate predicament (more id than ego)? I do not know why he did it, but suspect the latter. Spencer Harris’s unwise words at the time may have been in jest, but they merely highlighted the error.

I fundamentally disagree with all the vicious bile aimed at Spencer over this and other issues. His error is that he cares too much about the club, and does too much instead of delegating when possible. Unfortunately, whilst your interpretation may be a genuine attempt to explain the issue, it can be interpreted as chaffing and flaring in an attempt to divert an incoming Slammer.

IMHO, the Board made a mistake. It would be a bigger mistake to compound the error by trying to divert blame onto Lawrence and especially Barrow.[/QUOTE]

Great post PD - yes it did leave us in a difficult situation but Barrow was completely different to Ricketts in my view.

Haruki 8th February 2019 07.51:53

[QUOTE=3pmsaturday;2229155]Package was agreed.[/QUOTE]

It is quite common in business to agree a package with a prospective new employer, so you go to hand in your notice and your current boss makes you an improved offer to stay. It has happened to me.

Lawrence has done nothing wrong. Club's mistake was in offering Barrow the 2.5 year assistant deal before crossing t's and dotting i's on Lawrence's contract, this started a chain of horrible expensive events

3pmsaturday 8th February 2019 07.56:13

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2229175]Your interpretation of events does more harm than good, wrongly suggesting an error of judgement by the Board was, in fact, the fault of Lawrence and Barrow. We all make mistakes, but transferring the blame merely compounds the error.

IMHO, the Board made a mistake. It would be a bigger mistake to compound the error by trying to divert blame onto Lawrence and especially Barrow.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we won’t know but perhaps Lawrence insisted on the barrow thing in line with his proposed contract? Yes to ‘back to back’ them would have been better although that does not excuse Barrows about turn or indeed Lawrence’s. Sounds like he used the club and Barrow, in a way, to feather his nest.

The board have continualy been let down over the last few months. I have great sympathy for them.

If anyone thinks making these decisions is easy look at virtually every football club in the world. A very small percentage get it right and even fewer go on to retain that talent.

LlayDragon 8th February 2019 08.03:49

[QUOTE=Haruki;2229183]It is quite common in business to agree a package with a prospective new employer, so you go to hand in your notice and your current boss makes you an improved offer to stay. It has happened to me.

Lawrence has done nothing wrong. Club's mistake was in offering Barrow the 2.5 year assistant deal before crossing t's and dotting i's on Lawrence's contract, this started a chain of horrible expensive events[/QUOTE]

Aye.

In the end Barrow was already contracted to the club; there was no need to jump the gun and offer anything else until a new manager was in place. Had the the board not done so there would have been far more scope for chasing other targets when Lawrence pulled out. This the point where it all started to go wrong.

Then again I'm sure this is all our fault.

OneLoveWrexham 8th February 2019 08.08:29

[QUOTE=LlayDragon;2229189]Aye.

In the end Barrow was already contracted to the club; there was no need to jump the gun and offer anything else until a new manager was in place. Had the the board not done so there would have been far more scope for chasing other targets when Lawrence pulled out. This the point where it all started to go wrong.

Then again I'm sure this is all our fault.[/QUOTE]
Exactly this. At the time if the Lawrence thing fell through fair enough but keep barrow as caretaker for another week or two on original contract then you have scope to try and temp a Darrell Clarke type who has been there and done it in numerous leagues as surely the money was there tempt him if we gave Barrow 200k to spend.

Red_Jackoisback 8th February 2019 08.19:56

So BH offered the Assistants job to GB who turned it down.

Now isn’t that odd for a guy who wants to complete the job he started?

Ooh aah Paskin 8th February 2019 08.42:23

[QUOTE=Red_Jackoisback;2229196]So BH offered the Assistants job to GB who turned it down.

Now isn’t that odd for a guy who wants to complete the job he started?[/QUOTE]

Not really.

We don't know the complete story. Maybe he just doesn't have the heart for it any more?
Maybe he doesn't have the relationship with the players he had before?
Maybe he has had enough of the circus?

Its a free country. You can change your mind.

The whole sorry mess from Ricketts leaving to now has given more questions than answers.

Barrow clearly thought he could give it a go, realised he was out of his depth and said I need to go.

Its probably kind of hard to stick around after that no matter what was said before.

Phils-an-alki 8th February 2019 09.01:54

Is there a video of last nights meeting online anywhere?

or could someone detail the boards explanation for the last 6 weeks mess?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.57:57.