RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Mickey Thomas fundraiser (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113407-mickey-thomas-fundraiser.html)

Tom wafc 8th February 2019 15.08:58

Mickey Thomas fundraiser

[URL="https://www.gofundme.com/help-mickey-t-fight-cancer"]https://www.gofundme.com/help-mickey-t-fight-cancer[/URL]

Just seen this sad news.

Rob 8th February 2019 15.13:34

Re: Mickey Thomas

Just came on to post this up

[i]"Mickey Thomas’s life has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows, representing club and country at the highest level, including 90 appearances for his beloved Manchester United, but he is currently facing the biggest battle: beating cancer.

Diagnosed with stomach cancer in January 2019, Mickey starts chemo and radiotherapy treatment on 11th February, followed by an operation to remove the tumour and then another course of chemo.

Unable to work while going through treatment, Mickey has no source of income, so his friends are getting together to raise money to help cover his living and travel expenses, plus some of the medical expenses related to the treatments he requires – including having all of his teeth replaced.

He shouldn’t be worrying about money during this tough time; we want his focus to be on beating this awful disease and getting back with us all as soon as possible.

Still such a presence around Old Trafford and very much a part of the United family, Mickey is one of the most loveable guys you could meet. He is full of life, fun-loving and generous beyond belief, so please give what you can and join us in supporting him in his fight."[/i]

moynkeepthefaith 8th February 2019 15.23:30

Re: Mickey Thomas fundraiser

thanks - donated.

Quay Red 8th February 2019 15.44:51

Donated. Hope Micky gets through this. Long hard road ahead.

Wirral Red 8th February 2019 15.52:35

Donated , feel that Chelsea & Man U Stoke etc could fund this entirely from their vast resources.

Wrexy 8th February 2019 16.56:17

Puts this week's fun & games at Wrexham AFC into perspective.

Make no mistake this is a tough one to fight. I recently lost a good friend to stomach cancer. He was given 18 months to live in late 2018 and died just 6 weeks later.

Good luck Mickey.

John Neals Dynasty 8th February 2019 17.06:13

Very very sad news one of my footballing idols of the 70s/80s.

This money could easily be collected by the clubs he played for Chelsea,Everton,Man U, Stoke, Everton Wrexham.. The former players association, Man U Premier footballers.

But it's not all about money he has a terrific fight on his hands let's hope they have found it early as it's a very hard cancer to treat.

I will donate but it could be found by the above in minutes.

Football means nothing when it comes to health.

Keep fighting Noddy Thomas.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

dagg 8th February 2019 17.09:22

Is to late to organise a collection tomorrow.

dlrwrexham 8th February 2019 17.18:46

Hope he gets a mark of respect tomorrow.Maybe a minute's applause,at the exact time of his famous goal in '92?.

FieldtownRed 8th February 2019 17.24:53

[QUOTE=dlrwrexham;2229467]Hope he gets a mark of respect tomorrow.Maybe a minute's applause,at the exact time of his famous goal in '92?.[/QUOTE]

He’s not dead yet! Donations much more use than a bit of clapping!

Funny_Old_Game 8th February 2019 18.26:45

[QUOTE=dlrwrexham;2229467]Hope he gets a mark of respect tomorrow.Maybe a minute's applause,at the exact time of his famous goal in '92?.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious.

dlrwrexham 8th February 2019 18.51:28

[QUOTE=FieldtownRed;2229469]He’s not dead yet! Donations much more use than a bit of clapping![/QUOTE]

A simple show of support,that's all.A fella hasn't got to have popped his cloggs to warrant a show of support.Conventions are there to be broken.

Huffy 8th February 2019 19.00:27

Absolutely stunned by this news :eek:
Sat across the table from the maestro before Christmas , and he told us how he was struggling to hold down his food :(
What a top man he was to everyone that night and I wish him all the best with his fight to beat the big C !!
Donated

ugarte007 8th February 2019 23.19:51

Legend , god luck pal

Back of the Kop 8th February 2019 23.33:18

Wrexham legend.All the best Mickey

moynkeepthefaith 9th February 2019 04.05:01

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2229459]Very very sad news one of my footballing idols of the 70s/80s.

This money could easily be collected by the clubs he played for Chelsea,Everton,Man U, Stoke, Everton Wrexham.. The former players association, Man U Premier footballers.

But it's not all about money he has a terrific fight on his hands let's hope they have found it early as it's a very hard cancer to treat.

I will donate but it could be found by the above in minutes.

Football means nothing when it comes to health.

Keep fighting Noddy Thomas.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

You are right about his previous clubs but imagine the strength it will hopefully give him when he sees us donating no matter the amount.

pagl 9th February 2019 07.53:18

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2229625]You are right about his previous clubs but imagine the strength it will hopefully give him when he sees us donating no matter the amount.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope it has been caught early and he can be treated.
As JND says its a difficult disease to treat especially the lymph nodes.

Would be good if Sky Sports could raise awareness and his ex team mates all donate. There must be hundreds of them with all the clubs he had. :)

Taff9172 9th February 2019 11.08:39

Donated Good luck Mickey T keep fighting

Wrexy 9th February 2019 22.26:26

Can the club do something here? I’m thinking a limited edition, club authorised version of this signed by Mickey plus others:

[url]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SL437-HAND-SIGNED-LIMITED-EDITION-WREXHAM-1992-MICKEY-THOMAS/372582379664?hash=item56bfa3f090:g:g7UAAOSwJ4hcT619[/url]

BuckleyRed 9th February 2019 22.57:10

Polls galore on no confidence in x,y and z but thread on raising funds to help a Wrexham legend has only 2 pages.

Quay Red 10th February 2019 00.00:17

[QUOTE=BuckleyRed;2230102]Polls galore on no confidence in x,y and z but thread on raising funds to help a Wrexham legend has only 2 pages.[/QUOTE]

Not controversial enough.

bowler 10th February 2019 01.26:57

Mickey is one of the best midfielders ever at Wrexham todays present players would be resigned to licking his boots.

Cymro 10th February 2019 14.03:59

[QUOTE=BuckleyRed;2230102]Polls galore on no confidence in x,y and z but thread on raising funds to help a Wrexham legend has only 2 pages.[/QUOTE]
I guess it's because it is not controversial. Also, even the most negative poster wouldn't risk his life to contradict the sentiments in this thread. Pob lwc, Mickey. Been there, it can be beaten. God bless the NHS

John Neals Dynasty 10th February 2019 14.15:46

[QUOTE=Cymro;2230272]I guess it's because it is not controversial. Also, even the most negative poster wouldn't risk his life to contradict the sentiments in this thread. Pob lwc, Mickey. Been there, it can be beaten. God bless the NHS[/QUOTE]

That's a very encouraging post ☺ glad to hear you beat it, I hope not to delicate a question but was it stomach cancer you beat please?

Yes God bless the NHS fans wouldn't have to suffer my posting if it wasn't for them, for other reasons than C

RED2309 10th February 2019 14.54:10

Just donated £50 on behalf of Kings Mills Reds fund is up to £12292 of £20000 target in just 2 days.:hurray:

redtilidie 10th February 2019 14.58:15

[QUOTE=RED2309;2230284]Just donated £50 on behalf of Kings Mills Reds fund is up to £12292 of £20000 target in just 2 days.:hurray:[/QUOTE]

Well done KMR :hurray:

Cymro 10th February 2019 17.27:23

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2230279]That's a very encouraging post ☺ glad to hear you beat it, I hope not to delicate a question but was it stomach cancer you beat please?

Yes God bless the NHS fans wouldn't have to suffer my posting if it wasn't for them, for other reasons than C tsize=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]
Mine was a blood cancer. Diagnosed bang on the month I retired the b.... :).
Puts footy into perspective though.

Rhosymedre Red 10th February 2019 18.24:50

Has a Chelsea fan since the early Seventies i have been on one of the forums and mention the Fundraiser. Hopefully some might contribute.

Rhosymedre Red 10th February 2019 18.48:28

Seems they already know as some one has posted Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday. 1984. with Eddie Neidzwiecki, Joey Jones and Mickey playing.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBWjCbZ7AM[/url]

Davethered 10th February 2019 18.51:23

Thanks donated
Get well soon Mickey.

Rob 10th February 2019 20.13:13

It seems there are a few local fundraisers, Fat Boar burger thing looks like it will add a grand to the total with a load of people chipping in.

FieldtownRed 10th February 2019 20.16:37

Denis Irwin has chucked a grand in. Assume it’s THE Denis Irwin.

Albert Kinsey 10th February 2019 22.45:18

[QUOTE=FieldtownRed;2230385]Denis Irwin has chucked a grand in. Assume it’s THE Denis Irwin.[/QUOTE]
So has Bryan Robson, I assume it's THE Bryan Robson

sparky 11th February 2019 09.29:10

The word legend gets bounded about far too easily these days, but as far as Wrexham is concerned he really is a true legend.

He's a fighter and as fit as a butcher's dog so I'm sure he will beat it, but clearly support along the way won't do him any harm, and not just financial. So, and I hope folk don't the wrong end of the stick here, what about making one of of our promotion run in games Mickey Thomas day as a show of support? I'm sure it would see the Racecourse packed, raise some money (not just for Mickey but for those charities that deal with this day in, day out) and let Mickey know just what he means to football fans in North Wales. Thoughts?

John Neals Dynasty 11th February 2019 11.25:57

[QUOTE=sparky;2230471]The word legend gets bounded about far too easily these days, but as far as Wrexham is concerned he really is a true legend.

He's a fighter and as fit as a butcher's dog so I'm sure he will beat it, but clearly support along the way won't do him any harm, and not just financial. So, and I hope folk don't the wrong end of the stick here, what about making one of of our promotion run in games Mickey Thomas day as a show of support? I'm sure it would see the Racecourse packed, raise some money (not just for Mickey but for those charities that deal with this day in, day out) and let Mickey know just what he means to football fans in North Wales. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Great post Sparky, maybe the club could arrange a pre-season game with a Man Utd 11 with proceeds going to Stomach cancer research.

Quay Red 11th February 2019 13.22:41

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2230511]Great post Sparky, maybe the club could arrange a pre-season game with a Man Utd 11 with proceeds going to Stomach cancer research.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Not too late to dedicate one of our home matches this season to the cause.
Half to Micky and Half to MacMillan or something similar.
Club to donate £1 from ever entrance fee.

Cymro 11th February 2019 16.30:04

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2230553]Not too late to dedicate one of our home matches this season to the cause.
Club to donate £1 from ever entrance fee.[/QUOTE]
Great idea. Football fans are ever willing to support these sort of causes and a decent amount would be raised.

flintshirefan 11th February 2019 17.22:20

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2230553]Not too late to dedicate one of our home matches this season to the cause.

This should be put to the board ASAP

sparky 11th February 2019 19.41:34

My thoughts entirely.

FieldtownRed 11th February 2019 20.11:36

I notice none of Mickey's former clubs have a donation (yet). Given that they've all got hundreds if not thousands of ex players, some of whom no doubt are elderly/frail/in ill health/fallen on hard times, are they reluctant to set a precedent?

Lets be honest here, Chelsea Man U or Stoke could cover his expenses for several years without it even registering on their accounts.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.47:01.