Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2019, 10.21:51   #19-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS
Twitter: @

Default Re: Max Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger Vance View Post
Salford don't pay money for U16s before people think there is another £76k burning a hole in the bank account!

Fact is Salford are well set up, they have a good pathway, they have a good full time U18 program, then transition into an U21 program which is well supported. Two of their U21s recently moved into the higher echelons of the football league, one to Blackburn.

Not having that transition from U18s to either U21 or U23 (or even reserve) football is huge.

Development doesn't stop at 18, most players have 3 more years of physical development left in them even at 18 - there needs to be something after and that something can't just be throwing them out on loan.
What's driven this? Is it managers seeing no value in it or have the board stopped due to finance etc?
Old 13th February 2019, 10.30:15   #20-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Yale,Lower tier near kop (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
And we didn't need hindsight to tell us that either.

Still its probably RP's fault, the fans in general or some nasty facebook posts as to why it didn't work out if you listen to some.
We get it Phil, you called Newell as a bad un, and you were 100% right. Some of us just give the benefit of the doubt first.
Old 13th February 2019, 10.35:43   #21-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuxton_Forever red View Post
We get it Phil, you called Newell as a bad un, and you were 100% right. Some of us just give the benefit of the doubt first.
No I said it was a totally unnecessary risk. Benefit of the doubt doesn't come into it.
Whether he was a bad 'un whilst he was here I don't know.
Old 13th February 2019, 10.45:40   #22-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
No I said it was a totally unnecessary risk. Benefit of the doubt doesn't come into it.
Whether he was a bad 'un whilst he was here I don't know.
You can't not back your manager though as you've just given him the remit to manage the team..If you didn't back him and things failed he would have you over a barrel. It was a catalogue of problems, which started with the GB 2.5 year assistant manager contract, when DL was due to be appointed. After this it became difficult to control as DL bailed out on us after agreeing. GBs contract should only have been looked at once DL was in situ. It was an honest mistake but I am sure lessons have been learned.
Old 13th February 2019, 11.09:41   #23-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffred View Post
What's driven this? Is it managers seeing no value in it or have the board stopped due to finance etc?
My guess is its a mix of the two. Dean and Andy Morrell were big supporters of development. Andy Morrell saw the bigger picture in particular (I credit Billy with a lot of this also - he came from a development background and is now back there as head coach of Blackburn U18s).

Since then I think we have had a succession of managers who looked at the 1st team only. Ultimately it can be argued the board have appointed these managers knowing their views and therefore set the agenda. Its nice to sell players and get windfalls such as Brads, Jonnys, Danny's etc but the conveyor is running dry.

Undoubtedly finance has played a part but I think short term thinking has directed this. If you look at cost/income over 10 years I would be surprised if the income from add ons and transfers wasn't considerably higher than any running cost gaps.

However in regards cost - Chester run their scheme on a shoe string but have much greater focus on growing their own players hence the amount who have played 1st team football recently. If you compare 2nd year youth products out on loan they have about 6 or 7 compared to Wrexhams one. They also have a plan for transition post 18 which Wrexham don't. Wrexhams one out on loan wasn't a plan set by the club either, it was a plan set by the player and his ex coach to aid his development.
Old 13th February 2019, 11.39:21   #24-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: When I can get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
Salford must be quite different then to some of the prior moneybag non league clubs as they tended to focus solely on first team squad rather than whole infrastructure eg Crawley, Rushden.

As I have lived in the Rushden area for the last 10 years I can say they where never a money bags club, simply the owner of Doc Martins boots wanted to leave a legacy, and took them from NL to L2, but its only a small town so never the fan footfall we have nor the history, so after handing it to the fans the money dried up. They went bust, dropped several leagues but are on the way up and will be back in this division in next two years. Sadly the stadium which was for the community has been flattened and looks a bomb site waiting for hotel and shop developers. I wish them well as one of the last matches was Wrexham V the 'Dimonds' and it needs its club back, and is fully backed as a community fan club
Old 13th February 2019, 13.07:40   #25-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
You can't not back your manager though as you've just given him the remit to manage the team..If you didn't back him and things failed he would have you over a barrel. It was a catalogue of problems, which started with the GB 2.5 year assistant manager contract, when DL was due to be appointed. After this it became difficult to control as DL bailed out on us after agreeing. GBs contract should only have been looked at once DL was in situ. It was an honest mistake but I am sure lessons have been learned.
Barrows extension to 2.5 years was entirely down to Rickets. Contracts were exchanged before Rickets jumped ship. Nothing to do with the DL debacle.
Old 13th February 2019, 13.14:11   #26-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quay Red View Post
Barrows extension to 2.5 years was entirely down to Rickets. Contracts were exchanged before Rickets jumped ship. Nothing to do with the DL debacle.
Thats not what i was told, it was done after ricketts left in preparation of denis lawrence coming in as manager as that was going to be the management team going forward. Then lawrence had a change of heart after barrow had signed his extention and it all went pearshaped from there
Old 13th February 2019, 13.18:13   #27-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quay Red View Post
It should never have been approved.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.27:44.