RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Welsh Rugby in North Wales (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113527-welsh-rugby-north-wales.html)

Rhys's Daddy 26th February 2019 13.13:25

Welsh Rugby in North Wales

Now I know there will be those who call it an egg chasing game, but the WRU are considering creating a new North Wales team with one from the South possibly dropping out or merging. New contracts could see some big names relocate.
Despite the obvious issues about pitches (look at Newport) it could be lucrative and the investment we could be looking for as at a minimum the costs of sharing the ground would be halved.
Crusaders RL managed it for a time, could this be an opportunity?

I love both games, and are just thinking of how we increase cash.

tokyored 26th February 2019 13.17:34

Re: Welsh Rugby in North Wales

First I've heard of it but I'd imagine Eirias Park would be the big favourite to host the team if it happened?
As you say the pitch is the big issue. Rugby league doesn't really affect it that much but union churns it up quite badly.

michaelps 26th February 2019 13.40:11

Yep, union has much more impact on pitches than league totally agreed.
Also agreed given how much money has been pumped into Eirias Park by the WRU that if they move a region to the North (a big if still I would think given the WRU's finances) it would almost certainly be to Colwyn Bay not Wrexham.
Certainly you have interest in rugby in Wrexham/NE Wales/Deeside but ultimately whilst it might make sense to play the odd game at the racecourse it is, was and always will be a football area/hotbed, so from the rugby perspective it might be more likely to work at Eirias Park were you already have the infrastructure in place.

LWR 26th February 2019 13.46:43

Are we able to sublet under terms of the lease?
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Phils-an-alki 26th February 2019 14.11:02

[QUOTE=Rhys's Daddy;2235760]Now I know there will be those who call it an egg chasing game, but the WRU are considering creating a new North Wales team with one from the South possibly dropping out or merging. New contracts could see some big names relocate.
[B]Despite the obvious issues about pitches[/B] (look at Newport) it could be lucrative and the investment we could be looking for as at a minimum the costs of sharing the ground would be halved.

I love both games, and are just thinking of how we increase cash.[/QUOTE]

It ruins a football pitch. You've said it yourself. So the football club would suffer as would watching fans. Enough said already.
No thanks, they can sort themselves out with a pitch to ruin.
I'm sure there are plenty of other ways of making money without resorting to this.
Besides, after the initial hype died around the Crusaders attendances plummeted didn't they. So I'd question whether people would even watch this.

wil 26th February 2019 14.20:37

Rugbi Gogledd Cymru could use the cash if there’s any I would have thought, in the Welsh Premier Division, been around since the early 90s I think.

El Jonez 26th February 2019 14.24:52

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2235766]It ruins a football pitch. You've said it yourself. So the football club would suffer as would watching fans. Enough said already.
No thanks, they can sort themselves out with a pitch to ruin.
I'm sure there are plenty of other ways of making money without resorting to this.
Besides, after the initial hype died around the Crusaders attendances plummeted didn't they. So I'd question whether people would even watch this.[/QUOTE]

Depends what type of pitch is laid.

The Liberty Stadium Desso GrassMaster pitch sees an average 54 games a season + training and events and copes well.

[url=http://www.dessosports.com/sports/football/football-projects/swansea-fc-uk]Desso GrassMaster in Liberty Stadium of Swansea FC / Ospreys Rugby Team | Desso Sports Systems[/url]

Vorporix 26th February 2019 14.33:56

[QUOTE=Rhys's Daddy;2235760]Now I know there will be those who call it an egg chasing game, but the WRU are considering creating a new North Wales team with one from the South possibly dropping out or merging. New contracts could see some big names relocate.
Despite the obvious issues about pitches (look at Newport) it could be lucrative and the investment we could be looking for as at a minimum the costs of sharing the ground would be halved.

I love both games, and are just thinking of how we increase cash.[/QUOTE]

Presumably this is in addition to RGC who already play at Eirias Park in the Welsh Premiership?

rob_1072 26th February 2019 14.34:29

I heard about this, rumour was scarlets and Cardiff being kept as main regions with dragons and a north wales teams being used as development teams focusing more in young welsh players and making ospreys obsolete. Not sure I believe it as ospreys have had the most success. Almost certainly be at colwyn bay and eirias park due to amount wru have invested so far. Shame, it would be here as crowds would be bigger. I believe Cardiff had a combination of natural and synthetic grass that dealt better with rugby back when they both shared the Cardiff city stadium.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.07:59.