Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2019, 09.59:13   #1-0 (permalink)

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default "Mighty Brian Flynn helping Wrexham back to the big time"

Daily Mail article today -

Mighty Brian Flynn helping Wrexham back to the big time: 'Experience is being there and having done it'

*Brian Flynn knows Wrexham inside out having had a 12-year managerial stint*
*He is now assistant and using his experience to guide them towards promotion*
*Wrexham are now the longest-serving members of the National League*
*Flynn says: 'If you’ve been down the road before, you can guide them’

Brian Flynn did not generally take the limelight during a 12-year managerial stint which, from 1989, delivered Wrexham a string of extraordinary*FA Cup*giantkilling feats and promotion to the third tier. He is 5ft 3in tall and was not one to get in the way.
Only when he left were the accomplishments and stability he delivered perhaps fully appreciated. Poor financial stewardship and indifferent management saw a precipitous slide out of the Football League 10 years ago.
Wrexham are now the longest-serving members of the National League and have seemed damned in their attempts to get out of it.
They lost the 2013 Conference play-off final to a Newport County side whose owner had just won the National Lottery. Managers Dean Keates and Sam Ricketts have built genuine promotion prospects in the past two seasons only to be enticed to Football League posts, at Walsall and Shrewsbury respectively.

The club’s fourth managerial appointment in a year was by far the biggest gamble.

The prior experience of Bryan Hughes, linchpin of the club’s run to the 1997 FA Cup quarter-finals, was a brief spell in joint charge of Scarborough Athletic in football’s ninth tier. But there has been a clarity about his selections in the past month, not least the inspired recruitment of Flynn as his assistant and mentor.

A crowd of more than 7,000 — double the numbers Flynn knew in his heyday here — demonstrated the mood of optimism about his first game back at the club, where he delivered so many great years.
‘Experience is being there and having done it,’ the 63-year-old reflected. ‘If you’ve been down the road somewhere and you know which way to turn, then that is how you can guide them.’
Though there were rumours of a formal introduction, Flynn limited his time on the grass to the warm-up and was up in the stand when the teams walked out. Wrexham’s visitors know all about precipitous declines, too.
Chesterfield were Wrexham’s opponents in that FA Cup quarter-final — Hughes’s last match for Flynn’s team before moving to Birmingham City, who he had helped eliminate in an earlier round. They had been staring down the barrel of a third successive relegation before John Sheridan, re-appointed manager in January, steered them to four wins out of five.
Sheridan’s players had the best chances of a first half in which veteran forward Marc-Antoine Fortune looked the most substantial threat. The defensive foundations which Keates first built here were subjected to an exacting examination. Shaun Pearson and Kieran Kennedy made crucial interventions to keep Fortune out.

Wrexham look a less ponderous side under Hughes, whose introduction of forward Ben Tollitt to the starting line-up has raised the question of why the 24-year-old, on loan from Tranmere, had been there in the first place.
Tollitt’s gait and slight stature recall to mind Karl Connolly —another Liverpudlian forward, who served Flynn so well in the giantkilling years. But he struggled to find a goal threat. When Stuart Beavon burgled some possession and sent him through on goal, keeper Shwan Jalal was out to repel him.

It seemed that Wrexham’s promotion aspirations were to take a dent until Luke Young arced in a cross from the right on the hour for midfielder Akil Wright, who navigated in a header of great technical class.
It was Wrexham’s first attempt on goal and Hughes’ fourth win in five.
‘We did what we had to do,’ said the 42-year-old manager, whose side are two points clear at the top. Flynn was nowhere to be seen. In one discussion of how he might communicate from the stand, he spoke of ‘walkie-talkies’. It all sounded a bit 1990s, though that will do Wrexham nicely.
Old 4th March 2019, 10.24:17   #2-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Default Re: "Mighty Brian Flynn helping Wrexham back to the big time"

"Stuart Beavon burgled some possession"

sums that lad up!
Old 4th March 2019, 10.31:54   #3-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand (opposite the tunnell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
"Stuart Beavon burgled some possession"

sums that lad up!
Spot on!!

Also, as much as I like Akil Wright it takes some to put his name and the words 'great technical class' in the same sentence
Old 4th March 2019, 12.31:53   #4-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Spot on!!

Also, as much as I like Akil Wright it takes some to put his name and the words 'great technical class' in the same sentence
Comments like this show why akil remains massively under rated by our fan base even in spite of his current form! I've maintained for a while he will be a very good player and thankfully yozzer and Flynn seem to agree with me! Shaun Pearson recently backed him to be a 10-15 goal a season midfielder which I can see too. Just needs confidence, seems a shy lad from interviews so if he can fully believe in himself he can go far.
Old 4th March 2019, 12.36:25   #5-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand (opposite the tunnell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwilliams View Post
Comments like this show why akil remains massively under rated by our fan base even in spite of his current form! I've maintained for a while he will be a very good player and thankfully yozzer and Flynn seem to agree with me! Shaun Pearson recently backed him to be a 10-15 goal a season midfielder which I can see too. Just needs confidence, seems a shy lad from interviews so if he can fully believe in himself he can go far.
Was only a little jokey comment, Wrights technique is not always the best otherwise he would already be the 10/15 goal midfielder.

He is vital to our current play, and the only times we made anything happen on Saturday were when he broke forward to join in with the front three.
Old 4th March 2019, 13.11:42   #6-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: anywhere

Quote:
Got to agree. The main changes under Bryan Hughes appear to be moving Akil Wright forward more and bringing in Tollit. There is improvement in Akil if he stays free of injury.
Old 4th March 2019, 13.48:08   #7-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Was Brian Flynn at the game on Saturday ?
Personally I didn't see him - (I know he's small) - thought he might have been announced to the crowd pre match.
Old 4th March 2019, 17.14:17   #8-0 (permalink)
WR1
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Was Brian Flynn at the game on Saturday ?
Personally I didn't see him - (I know he's small) - thought he might have been announced to the crowd pre match.
Yes he was sat at the back in the Directors Box.
Old 4th March 2019, 17.17:29   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
10-15 goals a season when our strikers are on 4 goals with ten games to go.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.23:30.