Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th March 2019, 23.15:04   #19-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: mold road stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Ratings v Orient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn Tirion View Post
I didn’t watch the match but just heard Hughes’ post match interview and I’m sure he said Grant came on and gave an “assured” performance. As I said I didn’t watch the match but he seems to have a different view to everybody else.

I suppose that means he’ll be playing on Tuesday.
Dont think Grant played as bad as people are making out, not great but got himself involved and didn't hide tbf to him,can't be doing with this need to have a scapegoat on here all the time bollox and apart from Tollit nobody looked a threat or had a particularly great game.
Old 10th March 2019, 23.40:39   #20-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

I think the issues with the team going forward are tactical and, dare I say it, philisophical with focus on defending from the front. The players can't be faulted for their efforts but I simply don't think it is coincidence that we've cycled through a dozen strikers and they all look crap in our team.

The Beavon issue is a major one for me. He looks good at what he does but, in my opinion, it achieves absolutely nothing as a goal threat. He "makes life difficult" for the defenders and "wins more than he should for a man of his size" sound like positive statements but in practice it just means he is tussling with defenders throughout the game.

See it from the other side. As a centre half do you want a player like Jay Simpson (who is obviously too talented for this level but point still stands) finding space, turning and running at you with the ball at his feet or do you want to have a scrap with player 6 inches smaller than you for balls chipped in to the box? Even if he makes it difficult to distribute from the back, it's not as if our midfield are using the second ball to make chances in next phase.

Would love to have a good chat with Darlington about his ideology and if it's the reason why we have suffered from the same attacking problems for years whilst being so solid in the back 2/3rds of the pitch.
Old 11th March 2019, 01.00:44   #21-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: mold road stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-C View Post
I think the issues with the team going forward are tactical and, dare I say it, philisophical with focus on defending from the front. The players can't be faulted for their efforts but I simply don't think it is coincidence that we've cycled through a dozen strikers and they all look crap in our team.

The Beavon issue is a major one for me. He looks good at what he does but, in my opinion, it achieves absolutely nothing as a goal threat. He "makes life difficult" for the defenders and "wins more than he should for a man of his size" sound like positive statements but in practice it just means he is tussling with defenders throughout the game.

See it from the other side. As a centre half do you want a player like Jay Simpson (who is obviously too talented for this level but point still stands) finding space, turning and running at you with the ball at his feet or do you want to have a scrap with player 6 inches smaller than you for balls chipped in to the box? Even if he makes it difficult to distribute from the back, it's not as if our midfield are using the second ball to make chances in next phase.

Would love to have a good chat with Darlington about his ideology and if it's the reason why we have suffered from the same attacking problems for years whilst being so solid in the back 2/3rds of the pitch.
Totally agree, we have had to many forwards now who have done well initially and then after a few games suddenly just stopped scoring. Add the fact that they have been scoring before coming here and suddenly regained their form and goals once they have left and it's just too much of a coincidence.

Beavon does a brilliant job of hassling the opposition and works tirelessly up front. The problem is though it's great defending from the front but has little effect when he is the only player up there as we never press as a team and he is always isolated if he does win the ball. Just hope Hughes and Flynnie can sort it out and change our mentality and tactics as can't see any strikers getting many goals under the current set-up.
Old 11th March 2019, 08.08:47   #22-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Totally agree, we have had to many forwards now who have done well initially and then after a few games suddenly just stopped scoring. Add the fact that they have been scoring before coming here and suddenly regained their form and goals once they have left and it's just too much of a coincidence.

Beavon does a brilliant job of hassling the opposition and works tirelessly up front. The problem is though it's great defending from the front but has little effect when he is the only player up there as we never press as a team and he is always isolated if he does win the ball. Just hope Hughes and Flynnie can sort it out and change our mentality and tactics as can't see any strikers getting many goals under the current set-up.
I agree too. Feel sorry for whoever plays central striker in our set up, it's a kiss of death. Needs changing ASAP !
Old 11th March 2019, 09.38:53   #23-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Lainton 5 - Thought he should have done better for their goal and his kicking has gone to pot
Kennedy 5 - Did ok but not a right back.
Jennings 6 - Average performance didn't do much going forward
Pearson 7 - Solid performance as usual
Lawlor 7 - Solid performance as usual
Wright 4 - Goes missing every game for large periods. If he plays it has to be as an attacking position only. But in all honesty we need better.
Walker N/A Huge blow him going off as meant we had to rejig midfield which really killed us.
Young 6 - Average performances
Tollitt 6 - Started well then faded in and out of the game
Beavon 6 - He puts himself about well enough but has no goal threat. Time has come for him to be dropped to the bench. Oswell has to start now.
Rutherford 2 - Literally had a few touches in the first half and nothing else. I forgot he was playing. Dreadful. Not good enough despite running around a lot which seems to fool many fans. A headless chicken with zero goal threat and creates nothing. Needs to join Beavon on the bench for the remainder.

All in all a dreadful performance. I really fear the play offs because we just don't create enough chances for those types of games.
Old 11th March 2019, 09.41:30   #24-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlayDragon View Post
That would be depressing.

I was hoping that was the last time Grant would wear a Wrexham shirt.
Same here. We got conned big time into giving him a contract till the end of the season.
Old 11th March 2019, 09.56:40   #25-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info)

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Dont think Grant played as bad as people are making out, not great but got himself involved and didn't hide tbf to him,can't be doing with this need to have a scapegoat on here all the time bollox and apart from Tollit nobody looked a threat or had a particularly great game.
I agree - but his movement/positioning is terrible at times.
Old 11th March 2019, 10.05:21   #26-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

I forgot about Grant ironically. He did nothing so hardly surprising.
Old 11th March 2019, 10.16:57   #27-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Grants problem is he never actually looks fit and his lack of pace shows to be even worse in a team with no pace if that makes sense.

But let's be honest he was no worse Saturday than Wright Rutherford and Young and he has the excuse of lacking match fitness after being out for weeks.

Unless Flynn or Hughes know of any good midfielders they can get in on loan or even another winger to replace Tollit and play the new lad instead of run around contributing little Rutherford. And have somebody like Stockton alongside Beavon then nothing will change, so as I don't see any of that happening it won't change at all this season, let's hope the Hughes new manager bubble hasn't burst.

Anyone else wonder how little Brian Flynn could see over that barrier Saturday.
Posted via mobile theme
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.06:37.