RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Why can't we play 442 v Barrow & Maidstone (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113594-why-cant-we-play-442-v-barrow-maidstone.html)

Rob Edwards 10th March 2019 19.42:28

Why can't we play 442 v Barrow & Maidstone

Given our ongoing goalscoring difficulties, not scored first half under Yosser etc is there any reason we cannot play 442 v Barrow & Maidstone? Neither are the best defensively but Barrow can score as shown v Orient.
Given Walker is unavailable we could have -
CMs - AW, LY
Wide mid/wingers - McGlashan & Tollitt
Up Front - Beavon, Oswell
Risk is if continue as we are we could end up drawing both matches and out of reckoning for top 3.
Option there for last 20 minutes to bring on Rutherford for one winger and Stockton for Beavon.
Risk also that the first half goal drought will be a monkey on Hughes' back if not resolved quickly.

EnglishRed 10th March 2019 20.02:40

Re: Why can't we play 442 v Barrow & Maidstone

Are the players used to 442?
The risk of changing to a new formation is surely that the players are unfamiliar with their role and we don't win these games.

Is a narrow 1 nil loss away at a decent team a reason to change the system which had worked OK for the previous 5 games?

shimosays 10th March 2019 20.14:26

Or play Beavon instead of Rutherford on the right of the 3 with Oswell up top.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Rob Edwards 10th March 2019 20.33:35

[QUOTE=shimosays;2238893]Or play Beavon instead of Rutherford on the right of the 3 with Oswell up top.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Problem here is that would mean choosing Grant as the 3rd midfielder which would definitely not help our goalscoring deficiencies.

Rob Edwards 10th March 2019 20.36:20

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2238890]Are the players used to 442?
The risk of changing to a new formation is surely that the players are unfamiliar with their role and we don't win these games.

Is a narrow 1 nil loss away at a decent team a reason to change the system which had worked OK for the previous 5 games?[/QUOTE]

We scraped Chesterfield 1-0, have not scored first half since Yosser took over, and we were also playing this formation when we had the 5 defeats in a row in January.

redone 10th March 2019 20.39:57

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2238894]Problem here is that would mean choosing Grant as the 3rd midfielder which would definitely not help our goalscoring deficiencies.[/QUOTE]

Grant and Deverdics, what a let down these pair are!!! supposed to be the attacking options.more life in a tramps vest

shimosays 10th March 2019 20.42:37

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2238894]Problem here is that would mean choosing Grant as the 3rd midfielder which would definitely not help our goalscoring deficiencies.[/QUOTE]

Could play Rutherford there. He did it earlier in the season. Anybody but Grant.

Rob Edwards 10th March 2019 20.52:08

[QUOTE=shimosays;2238900]Could play Rutherford there. He did it earlier in the season. Anybody but Grant.

True. Just feel especially at home need to at least have a chance of scoring more than one goal The formation and playing of a player who has never scored prolifically on his own up front means we are making things harder than they should be in reality for ourselves.
On the basis that McGlashan is Tollitt's replacement really need to look for a central midfielder which could be then our 5th loanee and still within matchday squad limit.The Walker injury increases the need as for all his effort Wright struggles to pass to his own team a lot of the time.

EnglishRed 10th March 2019 22.11:46

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2238896]We scraped Chesterfield 1-0, have not scored first half since Yosser took over, and we were also playing this formation when we had the 5 defeats in a row in January.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a formation we know.

I just am not sure changing formations is a great idea with 9 games left in the season, unless it's something we do in training.

Rob Edwards 10th March 2019 23.01:59

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2238916]Yeah it's a formation we know.

I just am not sure changing formations is a great idea with 9 games left in the season, unless it's something we do in training.[/QUOTE]

Might be a risk we need to take if we want to go up. We were so inept attacking wise v Orient we are at risk of struggling to score against lesser teams. The passengers, Rutherford and Grant need to be kept out of the team too.
Play a formation which will create more chances and play actual goalscorers we have a good chance of the playoffs. Otherwise I am not sure.

Red Light 11th March 2019 05.55:23

Not sure the main problem is the formation - but the personnel.

We are struggling to find 3 midfielders of quality never mind 4.

Might be worth swopping things around up front.

Start with Tollitt, Oswell and Stockton.

For all his qualities Beavon is not a goalscorer - but that's what we need - Stockton at least did it for Tranmere 2 seasons ago and with a run of games might come good - perhaps Beavon would be more suited as an impact sub from the bench with his hard running.

pagl 11th March 2019 06.13:41

Grant, Ruthers and Beavon in the team will cost us dearly.
Its already been shown and proven.

Percy Sugden 11th March 2019 06.29:52

With what we have got, I’d look at putting beavon outwide instead of Ruthers. Grant would come in like for like for Akil Wright and id play oswell down the middle. When toillet goes either the new loanee or Holroyd will have to come in to replace him.

NottsRed 11th March 2019 08.28:24

I just am not sure changing formations is a great idea with 9 games left in the season, unless it's something we do in training.[/QUOTE]

Been said in the past but we never seem to have a Plan B. You would hope any manager would be looking at something like this as a contingency. It is something we do need to do for next season though as we can't continue with the current set up and lack of goals if we want to go up.

Diggle 11th March 2019 09.06:34

It's a very sensible point you make, and logic says it would be the last thing you should do. However, most fans I know have been saying most of the season that we need to change our attack a,s game after game, we have one striker isolated up front. It's hugely frustrating and the temptation is strong to get 2 front men and play with wingers to provide service.

If it fails, well it fails, but I'm not convinced we will go up by constantly clinging on in games and hoping to nick 1-0.

WR1 11th March 2019 12.35:11

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2238934]With what we have got, I’d look at putting beavon outwide instead of Ruthers. Grant would come in like for like for Akil Wright and id play oswell down the middle. When toillet goes either the new loanee or Holroyd will have to come in to replace him.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say but been really disappointed with Grant - based on his contributions he should be nowhere near the team or even on the bench.

krux 11th March 2019 12.42:20

I agree, we have to go with what we know and hope its enough.

RED2309 11th March 2019 12.47:53

[QUOTE=krux;2239014]I agree, we have to go with what we know and hope its enough.[/QUOTE]

The goal scoring issues we have had for a couple of seasons due to the defensive way we are set up and the players we have got on board to play that way. Too late to change really for this season must maybe have a plan B off the bench.

Redpensioner 11th March 2019 13.11:29

Come on, trying to make excuses for full time footballer's that can't revert to a 442 situation you can set up kids to play that way. If Bevan had someone with him to take more of the workload off him he might ,just might get to the six yard box ?

krux 11th March 2019 13.27:00

[QUOTE=Redpensioner;2239022]Come on, trying to make excuses for full time footballer's that can't revert to a 442 situation you can set up kids to play that way. If Bevan had someone with him to take more of the workload off him he might ,just might get to the six yard box ?[/QUOTE]

You have a point, but I'm not sure you can switch to a well drilled, top of the table 442 formation at the flick of a switch.

LeBon 11th March 2019 13.30:55

I quite like 4-3-3 as a formation. It can keep you solid in midfield whilst still getting 3 players forward. But to work well you need the right players and we don't have those.

You need a goal threat from each of the front 3. At least two need to be strikers who can play out wide, rather than more traditional wingers - the sort of player you'd put upfront in a 4-4-2. Ideally they would also be the kind of players who can make goals out of nothing. And best of all, they would be able to interchange across the front 3 during the course of the game. Bit of pace doesn't hurt either.

Of our current players, arguably only Tollitt fits it at all (he is a goal threat and can make things happen on his own) and he isn't really a striker. Whereas in 2011/12, when we played the system best, Speight, Wright, Pogba and Morrell were all strikers who could play wide (the latter less so, but he could do a job).

So we have players upfront who seem more to be bodies to keep us solid, rather than make anything happen. Rutherford, for example, would seem likely to be more effective as a wide player in a 4-4-2. Grant doesn't fit in at all. Stockton and Oswell just seem like traditional strikers.

NottsRed 11th March 2019 14.23:25

[QUOTE=LeBon;2239026]I quite like 4-3-3 as a formation. It can keep you solid in midfield whilst still getting 3 players forward. But to work well you need the right players and we don't have those.

You need a goal threat from each of the front 3. At least two need to be strikers who can play out wide, rather than more traditional wingers - the sort of player you'd put upfront in a 4-4-2. Ideally they would also be the kind of players who can make goals out of nothing. And best of all, they would be able to interchange across the front 3 during the course of the game. Bit of pace doesn't hurt either.

Of our current players, arguably only Tollitt fits it at all (he is a goal threat and can make things happen on his own) and he isn't really a striker. Whereas in 2011/12, when we played the system best, Speight, Wright, Pogba and Morrell were all strikers who could play wide (the latter less so, but he could do a job).

So we have players upfront who seem more to be bodies to keep us solid, rather than make anything happen. Rutherford, for example, would seem likely to be more effective as a wide player in a 4-4-2. Grant doesn't fit in at all. Stockton and Oswell just seem like traditional strikers.[/QUOTE]

We need Dom Vose and Wes York back!!!!! Crazy to say but at the time they weren’t good enough but I gladly bring them back now to get us those extra goals.

RED2309 11th March 2019 15.53:22

Brad Walker is now injured and will be out for 2-3 weeks. Carra and Summers are still not ready to return either.

Who plays in midfield tomorrow?

Could we bring Roberts back in at RB and play Kennedy as defensive mid?

Prodigal Dragon 11th March 2019 17.48:14

[QUOTE=RED2309;2239043]Brad Walker is now injured and will be out for 2-3 weeks. Carra and Summers are still not ready to return either.

Who plays in midfield tomorrow?

Could we bring Roberts back in at RB and play Kennedy as defensive mid?[/QUOTE]

That would be my option:

Tollitt and Wright wide; Kennedy and Young in the middle; Oswell and Stockton upfront.

krux 11th March 2019 17.56:42

Roberts has got to play. For his weaknesses, he is, after all, a right back.

davewilli 11th March 2019 18.11:12

[QUOTE=krux;2239064]Roberts has got to play. For his weaknesses, he is, after all, a right back.

Roberts if fit should play, we usually win games, only losing 3 with him starting with JL SP & JJ and not many have been draws.

billybersham 11th March 2019 18.45:04

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2239061]That would be my option:

Tollitt and Wright wide; Kennedy and Young in the middle; Oswell and Stockton upfront.[/QUOTE]

Wright wide,he found himslef in that postion a couple of times against Chesterfield and did not have a clue what to do.

Alan Attack 11th March 2019 19.01:19

[QUOTE=NottsRed;2239034]We need Dom Vose and Wes York back!!!!! Crazy to say but at the time they weren’t good enough but I gladly bring them back now to get us those extra goals.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking the piss?

Rob Edwards 11th March 2019 19.04:02

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2239074]Are you taking the piss?[/QUOTE]

Would be better 433 forwards than Rutherford & Grant definitely.

Percy Sugden 11th March 2019 19.14:08

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2239076]Would be better 433 forwards than Rutherford & Grant definitely.[/QUOTE]

Vose had 10 goals before Xmas and York regularly found the net.... Unfortunalty they fell short of the hard work ethic that gains RP approval of a forward. If you have a slightly stooped stance, and run around a lot, your in!

pagl 11th March 2019 19.17:13

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2239079]Vose had 10 goals before Xmas and York regularly found the net.... Unfortunalty they fell short of the hard work ethic that gains RP approval of a forward. If you have a slightly stooped stance, and run around a lot, your in![/QUOTE]

Quasimodo. Get him signed

OneLoveWrexham 11th March 2019 19.22:18

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2239079]Vose had 10 goals before Xmas and York regularly found the net.... Unfortunalty they fell short of the hard work ethic that gains RP approval of a forward. If you have a slightly stooped stance, and run around a lot, your in![/QUOTE]
Tollitt is starting to get the same stick Vose did, our ‘experts’ don’t like quality 1 goal and 4 assists in 40 games is what they like.

chipmunx 11th March 2019 19.22:52

As a Barrow fan this is an interesting read...
You all seam to have forgotten that Rutherford and Akil Wright are both former Barrow players and will play their hardest because of it - as will Rooney for Barrow.
Barrow's away strength has been in controlling the ball and if you try to play 4-3-3 you'll probably lose the midfield battle - and also get hit on the counter attack.

redone 11th March 2019 19.35:43

[QUOTE=pagl;2239081]Quasimodo. Get him signed[/QUOTE]

ha...pull the other one

redone 11th March 2019 19.40:04

[QUOTE=chipmunx;2239083]As a Barrow fan this is an interesting read...
You all seam to have forgotten that Rutherford and Akil Wright are both former Barrow players and will play their hardest because of it - as will Rooney for Barrow.
Barrow's away strength has been in controlling the ball and if you try to play 4-3-3 you'll probably lose the midfield battle - and also get hit on the counter attack.[/QUOTE]

if thats the case Jefferson Louis must of been at full tilt almost every week

Alan Attack 11th March 2019 19.44:09

Interesting to note neither York or Vose are playing conference football these days.

I’d rather have Rutherford, Grant, Beavon et al because we’re challenging at the business end of the league.

For what it’s worth, I liked Vose but it’s clear he has his issues. He wasn’t that good that we should carry him or build a team around him.

Alan Attack 11th March 2019 19.44:55

Barrow's away strength has been in controlling the ball and if you try to play 4-3-3 you'll probably lose the midfield battle - and also get hit on the counter attack.[/QUOTE]

Eek.

Funny_Old_Game 11th March 2019 20.19:52

Our fans would rather a Rutherford who scores once every 60 games or so.

Funny_Old_Game 11th March 2019 20.20:46

Sounds easy. Except we never get hit on the counter.

Birdy 11th March 2019 20.23:30

It's not in Darlington's coaching manual so we can't play it.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.42:31.