RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   flynn (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113616-flynn.html)

the sleeping giant dies 14th March 2019 11.44:45

flynn

now that everyone has stopped having an orgasm about flynn the messiah is back,except me. i am not a fan of flynns.so how much of an imbut is he having on the team, hes not on the touchline with the other three clueless ones, but sitting in the stands. we have not performed since he came on board. the money were paying him could and should have been used to pay a decent strikers wages, flynn can t score but a striker can and thats whats needed. the board are wasting the money the club has. we ll make the playoffs just but only for one round then its back to the two year plan and not enough money to bring in decent players. we should have got a decent manager in by now and been out of this league four years ago, the board are penny pinching cheap option every time

Gwersyllt-Robin 14th March 2019 11.53:03

Re: flynn

dear me.

Phils-an-alki 14th March 2019 11.56:40

Someone grab Sparky and hold him back..

marathonplny 14th March 2019 12.18:37

We need to give them time to sort things out

We will either scrape through the playoffs - unlikely, as goals will be an issues, or
Be in the same league next year - high degree of probability

Thus the summer is when they need to have targeted signings, get them in early, give us fans something to get behind and start to address the issues that happen every season

crazywelsh 14th March 2019 12.28:14

[QUOTE=marathonplny;2240211]We need to give them time to sort things out

We will either scrape through the playoffs - unlikely, as goals will be an issues, or
Be in the same league next year - high degree of probability

Thus the summer is when they need to have targeted signings, get them in early, give us fans something to get behind and start to address the issues that happen every season[/QUOTE]

It’s the same old excuses over and over, at first it was the wst will make mistakes. The last 7 years have been mistake after mistake, this league was there for the taking in January we should of blown the whole money we had received and gone all out.

Funny_Old_Game 14th March 2019 12.30:16

Nobody can change the mentality of this group. They’ve been brainwashed into no risk football

Outertowner 14th March 2019 12.33:10

[QUOTE=the sleeping giant dies;2240199]now that everyone has stopped having an orgasm about flynn the messiah is back,except me. i am not a fan of flynns.so how much of an imbut is he having on the team, hes not on the touchline with the other three clueless ones, but sitting in the stands. we have not performed since he came on board. the money were paying him could and should have been used to pay a decent strikers wages, flynn can t score but a striker can and thats whats needed. the board are wasting the money the club has. we ll make the playoffs just but only for one round then its back to the two year plan and not enough money to bring in decent players. we should have got a decent manager in by now and been out of this league four years ago, the board are penny pinching cheap option every time[/QUOTE]

Flynn’s appointment is integral to the long term plan of moving the football club forward. Bryan Hughes needed an experienced assistant and I don’t think the board could of got in anyone better. Regarding the issue that the money should have been spent on a striker, I can’t understand why we couldn’t do both, but I think getting some decent midfielders might be money better spent.

NottsRed 14th March 2019 13.34:58

[QUOTE=Outertowner;2240220]Flynn’s appointment is integral to the long term plan of moving the football club forward. Bryan Hughes needed an experienced assistant and I don’t think the board could of got in anyone better. Regarding the issue that the money should have been spent on a striker, I can’t understand why we couldn’t do both, but I think getting some decent midfielders might be money better spent.[/QUOTE]

Agree on the decent midfielders bit.

I think with Flynn, Hughes, Jussi & Darlington we have to many Chefs in the kitchen.

RemovedUser 14th March 2019 13.37:49

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2240218]Nobody can change the mentality of this group. They’ve been brainwashed into no risk football[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Tuesday was not the time to change things......

The management took a huge risk on Tuesday evening, going to a new more attacking formation, which you said before kick off was “more like it”.
I’m not restating this as a criticism of you, but it strikes me that going gung ho at this stage of the season was not what was needed.......

We had got where we were by being defensively minded. It has worked, even if it isn’t pretty.
I agree that you can’t change that defensive mentality overnight, so why did Hughes try?

If you couple that new set up with the fact that Roberts was coming back from injury, had McGlashen in front of him who’s game he doesn’t know yet, (and who by all accounts was very poor on the night), rather than Rutherford who’s he does. And vice versa of course. Those singling out Roberts for criticism elsewhere on this forum, is somewhat unfair in my view.
Also, Pearson, our leader and stand out defender was out injured too. Another reason not to change formation and mentality at a crucial stage of the season.

So Management should take the flack, moreso than the players, in my view.

KingBuxton_Forever red 14th March 2019 13.40:04

[QUOTE=Redrobinman;2240247]In my opinion, Tuesday was not the time to change things......

The management took a huge risk on Tuesday evening, going to a new more attacking formation, which you said before kick off was “more like it”.
I’m not restating this as a criticism of you, but it strikes me that going gung ho at this stage of the season was not what was needed.......

We had got where we were by being defensively minded. It has worked, even if it isn’t pretty.
I agree that you can’t change that defensive mentality overnight, so why did Hughes try?

If you couple that new set up with the fact that Roberts was coming back from injury, had McGlashen in front of him who’s game he doesn’t know yet, (and who by all accounts was very poor on the night), rather than Rutherford who’s he does. And vice versa of course. Those singling out Roberts for criticism elsewhere on this forum, is somewhat unfair in my view.
Also, Pearson, our leader and stand out defender was out injured too. Another reason not to change formation and mentality at a crucial stage of the season.

So Management should take the flack, moreso than the players, in my view.[/QUOTE]

Given the players at his disposal, what sort of team could he have put out?

Redordead 14th March 2019 13.44:45

Should have changed it after the first 10 minutes. Put Rutherford in the midfielder take Oswell off and go back to 433.

Red Badger 14th March 2019 14.05:19

It’s his height or lack of it that concerns me.

Huffy 14th March 2019 14.31:43

[QUOTE=Gwersyllt-Robin;2240202]dear me.[/QUOTE]

Yes , precisely :(

wrexhamandy 14th March 2019 14.38:30

[QUOTE=Redrobinman;2240247]In my opinion, Tuesday was not the time to change things......

So Management should take the flack, moreso than the players, in my view.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same. I know it’s not always pretty but I think it’s a bit late and too risky in the season to be tinkering so much with our system. We tried that at the back end of last season and it blew up in our faces. The title is slipping away so think calm heads and keep going for the 1-0s and hopefully we can hang onto the playoffs, when anything can happen.

**takes cover from lack of ambition shouts**

Phils-an-alki 14th March 2019 15.09:17

Can't agree. Some players badly let the manager down, in fact nearly all of them did.
Giving the ball away so often in our own half has little to do with formation.
Conceding from a corner has nothing to do with formation.
Not marking players has nothing to do with formation.

Too easy to blame the manager and not the players.
Akil Wright constantly emptied the midfield, I doubt he was told to.
Roberts was just dreadful all round.
Lawlor and Kennedy were all over the place especially in the first half hour or so.
Lainton's kicking was poor again, putting the team under pressure.
The Strikers had nothing to work with apart from hoofed long balls.

From my point of view I place the blame with the players. The defence was all over the place and it was still a back four as it has been all season, an experience one at that.

We don't know that he didn't try to set them up defensively either. Maybe he did and they didn't carry out his instructions? Plus as Bux said he had little to choose from, being severely short of players for centre mid kinda forced his hand.

Add into all of that the players we had missing and bingo it was the perfect storm

onelegged harry 14th March 2019 15.26:14

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2240289]Can't agree. Some players badly let the manager down, in fact nearly all of them did.

Lawlor and Kennedy were all over the place especially in the first half hour or so.

From my point of view I place the blame with the players. The defence was all over the place and it was still a back four as it has been all season, an experience one at that.

We don't know that he didn't try to set them up defensively either. Maybe he did and they didn't carry out his instructions? Plus as Bux said he had little to choose from, being severely short of players for centre mid kinda forced his hand.

Add into all of that the players we had missing and bingo it was the perfect storm[/QUOTE]

Whilst I agree with what you have said I am of the opinion that something has
happened behind closed doors to have affected the player's so badly.Was it the
realisation that non of them were being offered new contracts?Time will tell.

Prodigal Dragon 14th March 2019 15.36:15

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2240289]Can't agree. Some players badly let the manager down, in fact nearly all of them did.

Add into all of that the players we had missing and bingo it was the perfect storm[/QUOTE]

We agree. IMHO, if we want to reduce it to just one, main reason for why it all went pear-shaped, I would say our midfield combination of Young and Wright was non-existent on the night. But, as you have identified, we were so, so poor at the basics it was almost laughable - but in a very unfunny way!:(

PS Storm GARETH!

Haruki 14th March 2019 15.52:52

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2240248]Given the players at his disposal, what sort of team could he have put out?[/QUOTE]

Personally i would have maintained the 4-3-3 system and used Rutherford as the third midfielder with the brief to use his energy to get around the pitch harrying and harassing opponents. Ricketts used him there a few times and I thought he was pretty effective and gave us energy in the centre of the park. We then had 3 from four of Tollit, Beavon, Oswell and McGleashan up top although personally i think Holroyd deserves a chance in the front three seeing as he scored 14 goals last season.

Other options for the third midfield slot were Deverdicks and Kennedy, the latter choice meaning Tharme slotted in an centre back.

The point is he was't forced to play 4-4-2 he had three options of maintaining the team shame and system. 4-3-3 got us to the top of the league before the Orient game, the players have been playing it all season and are well drilled. The change to 4-4-2 presumably had only Monday to practice team shape as Sunday would have been a day off.

Yozzer got it horribly wrong and showed his naivety. You simply can't wing games in the National League with only two in centre midfield, they aren't good enough players to cover all of the disciplines required.

Phils-an-alki 14th March 2019 16.10:21

[QUOTE=Haruki;2240300]Personally i would have maintained the 4-3-3 system and used Rutherford as the third midfielder with the brief to use his energy to get around the pitch harrying and harassing opponents. Ricketts used him there a few times and I thought he was pretty effective and gave us energy in the centre of the park. We then had 3 from four of Tollit, Beavon, Oswell and McGleashan up top although personally i think Holroyd deserves a chance in the front three seeing as he scored 14 goals last season.

Other options for the third midfield slot were Deverdicks and Kennedy, the latter choice meaning Tharme slotted in an centre back.

The point is he was't forced to play 4-4-2 he had three options of maintaining the team shame and system. 4-3-3 got us to the top of the league before the Orient game, the players have been playing it all season and are well drilled. The change to 4-4-2 presumably had only Monday to practice team shape as Sunday would have been a day off.

Yozzer got it horribly wrong and showed his naivety. You simply can't wing games in the National League with only two in centre midfield, they aren't good enough players to cover all of the disciplines required.[/QUOTE]

That massively excuses the players for their inept clueless performances. Formations aside if as PD rightly says you can't even get the basics right you could have a team set up by Ferguson Mourhino and Pep and you'd still lose.
Plus why didn't one of the senior players out there get hold of a few of them and take control. If Keates in his pomp would have been out there I'm pretty sure he would have.
Hopefully was just a one off, a bad day that's not repeated again this season...

P.s. Re Deverdics - I think we all agree he isn't good enough, has done nothing since he signed and when given chances he failed to take them. It speaks volumes he didn't even make the bench.

Sussex Red 14th March 2019 16.15:36

Many players have arrived, most of them have gone...so have the managers.

We find ourselves in the same position over and over again.

The only constant has been Darlington. Are his tactics holding us back?
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

sparky 14th March 2019 17.01:24

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2240204]Someone grab Sparky and hold him back..[/QUOTE]

I don't feel anger, just pity.

RED2309 14th March 2019 17.17:32

[QUOTE=the sleeping giant dies;2240199]now that everyone has stopped having an orgasm about flynn the messiah is back,except me. i am not a fan of flynns.so how much of an imbut is he having on the team, hes not on the touchline with the other three clueless ones, but sitting in the stands. we have not performed since he came on board. the money were paying him could and should have been used to pay a decent strikers wages, flynn can t score but a striker can and thats whats needed. the board are wasting the money the club has. we ll make the playoffs just but only for one round then its back to the two year plan and not enough money to bring in decent players. we should have got a decent manager in by now and been out of this league four years ago, the board are penny pinching cheap option every time[/QUOTE]

I very much doubt the combination of Hughes and Flynn is a cheap option and the employment of Flynn removes the need for a Director of Football.

Money was available for Ricketts and Barrow (when he took over) and targets had been identified including an attempt to get Rowe here (allegedly).

As for Tuesday night yes the tactics backfired but the performance of the players compounded the failure and lack of ball retention meant we kept putting ourselves back under pressure throughout the game.

Barrow despite this being their third game in a week showed more energy and determination than us although the space we gave them made it easy.

We cannot with whats available at present replace Walker in midfield and I fear this will ost us further points.

pagl 14th March 2019 17.19:14

[QUOTE=Sussex Red;2240306]Many players have arrived, most of them have gone...so have the managers.

We find ourselves in the same position over and over again.

The only constant has been Darlington. Are his tactics holding us back?
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

My understanding is that its his preferred 433 option and he doesnt like 442.
Its his TNS days but they could have played any formation and still win the league.

Is 433 a WAFC board mandate? Dont know.
This formation is OK but you need a good front 3 and thats something we dont have. 442 at this point would be better but not Young and Wright.

Readred 14th March 2019 18.34:03

In this thread, someone who knows nothing about football, complains about someone who knows a lot about football not being able to instantly turn a team of mediocre players brought in by a snakeoil salesman into championship winners.

lookingin 14th March 2019 19.20:48

There will be much debate on Flynn but this shouldn't be taken out of context after Tuesday's performance.

I think the wider picture here is as a club the board have gambled massively with Hughes which they then tried to dampen down the critics with Flynn. It's a worry to me personally that bar Hughes the rest of the entire back room staff are part time.

Darlington as we no is a Friday and game day, while Jussi and Flynn are both contracted for two days. Flynn still has a major role at Norwich and if they get promoted who knows what he will do.

Flynn is highly unlikely to be on the grass coaching so is Hughes a manager, coach or both? Jussi may coach but under Ricketts was given the job of set pieces and Dan Nolan is around in the interim but here is a guy with no real coaching qualifications and overseen the worst youth team performance for a number of years and a dwindling center of excellence where players are leaving freely to other clubs due to poor training and games programs.

The question shouldn't be solely on Flynn but the entire management team.

louisleftboot 14th March 2019 19.22:39

I thought Jussi had no contract and was expenses only?

benwilliams 14th March 2019 19.29:14

As others have said it sounds like the perfect storm and the proverbial bad day at the office. If we lose on Saturday I may reconsider but I think we just have to write it off and not have every player staff and board member burnt at the stake.

Alan Attack 14th March 2019 19.45:16

[QUOTE=benwilliams;2240344]As others have said it sounds like the perfect storm and the proverbial bad day at the office. If we lose on Saturday I may reconsider but I think we just have to write it off and not have every player staff and board member burnt at the stake.[/QUOTE]

Wrexham fans not accepting we lose games. No surprises there.

krux 14th March 2019 19.49:13

[QUOTE=pagl;2240323]My understanding is that its his preferred 433 option and he doesnt like 442.
Its his TNS days but they could have played any formation and still win the league.

Is 433 a WAFC board mandate? Dont know.
This formation is OK but you need a good front 3 and thats something we dont have. 442 at this point would be better but not Young and Wright.[/QUOTE]

I think 433 all the way. Mainly because you need.two amazing CM's for 442, which we don't have. With a three there is safer in numbers I suppose.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Huffy 14th March 2019 19.56:10

[QUOTE=benwilliams;2240344]As others have said it sounds like the perfect storm and the proverbial bad day at the office. If we lose on Saturday I may reconsider but I think we just have to write it off and not have every player staff and board member burnt at the stake.[/QUOTE]

From a perfect storm (possibly) to perfect sense !!
Well said Ben :)

billybersham 14th March 2019 20.30:53

Hundreds of fans went home before thirty minutes had been played and you call it a bad day in the office.I will not say anymore!

AndyCobra 14th March 2019 21.25:00

Blamed the manager, the board and the players so time to start on Flynn now?

AndyCobra 14th March 2019 21.26:47

When are some of you going to look at yourselves? Call yourself a fan of Wrexham football club.

OneLoveWrexham 14th March 2019 21.43:20

[quote=andycobra;2240367]when are some of you going to look at yourselves? Call yourself a fan of wrexham football club.[/quote]
wum

flynhater 14th March 2019 21.47:47

Now before the how dare you call yourself flynhater posts let me speak my piece. What is going on at Wrexham has nothing whatsoever with the present Management appointments it has everything to do with the fact that we have not had the courage to invest some decent money on players. I am not on about the dregs that we seem to sign I am on about buying some quality players and paying the going rate for these players. I think yet again we are going to come up short in the playoffs and I think next year if Notts County come down we will be right in the Sh##e. My only hope is that Brian Flynn can use his contacts in the game to find some gems. We have to give the New Management team time to gel and sort out the mess.

Prodigal Dragon 15th March 2019 07.03:17

[QUOTE=flynhater;2240371]Now before the how dare you call yourself flynhater posts let me speak my piece. What is going on at Wrexham has nothing whatsoever with the present Management appointments it has everything to do with the fact that we have not had the courage to invest some decent money on players. I am not on about the dregs that we seem to sign I am on about buying some quality players and paying the going rate for these players. I think yet again we are going to come up short in the playoffs and I think next year if Notts County come down we will be right in the Sh##e. My only hope is that Brian Flynn can use his contacts in the game to find some gems. We have to give the New Management team time to gel and sort out the mess.[/QUOTE]

Well said, as opposed to the OP’s regurgitated dross.

Connolly 15th March 2019 07.39:05

Whats going on at Wrexham? People do realize we're top 3, not battling relegation?

chesterrobin 15th March 2019 07.42:57

I find it interesting that no mention has been made about Flynn’s contract. Isn’t he employed by another team as chief scout? I believe his involvement with us is on a part time basis and I suspect if he is with us next season it will not be as assistant manager. At least he brings to the club a wealth of experience and respect within the football world attributes which have sadly lacking since the departure of Barry Horne.

Phils-an-alki 15th March 2019 08.20:55

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2240347]Wrexham fans not accepting we lose games. No surprises there.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious. What a stupid thing to say.

Football fans being hugely disappointed after a second successive defeat and discussing it on a forum. WHATEVER NEXT.

Phils-an-alki 15th March 2019 08.23:46

[QUOTE=AndyCobra;2240367]When are some of you going to look at yourselves? Call yourself a fan of Wrexham football club.[/QUOTE]

Funny. You do realise you're on a Wrexham fans forum, right? :bulb:

Out of interest please can you let us all know the criteria to be classed as a fan of Wrexham football club? Just so we can all fall in line with what you think, because that is the holy grail at the end of the day. Thanks.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 03.57:52.