RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Reserve Team....Do we need one? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113726-reserve-team-do-we-need-one.html)

dagg 7th April 2019 16.58:45

Re: Reserve Team....Do we need one?

[QUOTE=aber_red;2246976]I'am not sure, if there is a reserve team league in the midlands / North West these days. There was a few years back, but its all U-23's and youth teams these days. I'am old enough to remember the old mid week [I][I][B]Floodlit League, all night games, with teams consisting of a mixture of senior/reserve/ youth team players, and also useful for players returning from injuries, to get back to full fitness.[/B][/I][/I][/QUOTE]

That was a very good league.

pagl 7th April 2019 17.04:17

If we have a smaller squad then we dont need a reserve team.
Use loan players sparingly for injuries/suspensions and with a tighter knit of the core squad its less disruption. 5 loanees in same starting line up is too much in my opinion and I would rather have better quality players we actually sign not loan.

redavid 7th April 2019 18.57:38

[QUOTE=panda23;2247079]Could use some of the youth team I suppose , didn't we used to have some form of reserve side in the Welsh national League many moons ago?[/QUOTE]

we used to play in the old Cheshire league donks ago , there would be nothing wrong with a mix of youth & senior players coming back from injury suspension or bench warming . just makes sense .

redavid 7th April 2019 18.59:38

[QUOTE=redone;2247042]hasnt this just been discussed in a prior thread, BASICS???[/QUOTE]

Yes by me , but the poster doesn't read every thread , only his own . ;)

Birdy 7th April 2019 19.49:18

yes

Willywill 7th April 2019 21.55:04

Whatever league we end up in next season, we need a reserve team in a league. This will be a statement of intent.

Alan Attack 8th April 2019 20.12:56

[QUOTE=Willywill;2247142]Whatever league we end up in next season, we need a reserve team in a league. This will be a statement of intent.[/QUOTE]

It has to be cost effective in terms of travel, kit, players, meals, coaches. I'm sure there's a ballpark figure of running a reserve team.

I don't think our squad is big enough to sustain it. I know we have had a fair few players this season but there have been too many loanees. I doubt parent clubs would be happy for us to be using their players in the reserves!

andy buckley 8th April 2019 20.46:33

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2247292

I doubt parent clubs would be happy for us to be using their players in the reserves![/QUOTE]

Better than sitting in the stands or on the bench watching.

Red Light 8th April 2019 21.28:07

Do we need a reserve team playing in a competitive league ?
Yes it would benefit us.
Can we afford to run one ?
Probably not.

When Mills was manager I seem to recall he crossed it off the list preferring to put all his eggs in one basket and focus on the first team - similar to youth and developing players who could eventually break into the first team like when Flynn was manager.
You have to feel sorry for the young kids coming through - ultimately they never really get a chance. Successive managers will always play cautious and opt for the old experienced seasoned pro - rarely does a youngster break into the first team and stay there. I really rate Doug Tharme from what I have seen of him and he is probably our best young prospect - with the unfortunate injury to Lawlor described as a dislocated shoulder by BH in his post match interview - Tharme might now get his chance to at least get a place on the subs bench.

However, the real problem seems to be any fringe players coming back from injury or promising youngsters never get to play competitively as in the old Central League. Playing regular matches in a structured league would surely benefit us - but someone somewhere will hopefully have done the maths and come to the conclusion that, financially we can't do it.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.20:49.