Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th April 2019, 18.57:38   #21-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Reserve Team....Do we need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda23 View Post
Could use some of the youth team I suppose , didn't we used to have some form of reserve side in the Welsh national League many moons ago?
we used to play in the old Cheshire league donks ago , there would be nothing wrong with a mix of youth & senior players coming back from injury suspension or bench warming . just makes sense .
Old 7th April 2019, 18.59:38   #22-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone View Post
hasnt this just been discussed in a prior thread, BASICS???
Yes by me , but the poster doesn't read every thread , only his own .
Old 7th April 2019, 19.49:18   #23-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

yes
Old 7th April 2019, 21.55:04   #24-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

Whatever league we end up in next season, we need a reserve team in a league. This will be a statement of intent.
Old 8th April 2019, 20.12:56   #25-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willywill View Post
Whatever league we end up in next season, we need a reserve team in a league. This will be a statement of intent.
It has to be cost effective in terms of travel, kit, players, meals, coaches. I'm sure there's a ballpark figure of running a reserve team.

I don't think our squad is big enough to sustain it. I know we have had a fair few players this season but there have been too many loanees. I doubt parent clubs would be happy for us to be using their players in the reserves!
Old 8th April 2019, 20.46:33   #26-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: yale paddock

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2247292

I doubt parent clubs would be happy for us to be using their players in the reserves![/QUOTE]

Better than sitting in the stands or on the bench watching.
Old 8th April 2019, 21.28:07   #27-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Do we need a reserve team playing in a competitive league ?
Yes it would benefit us.
Can we afford to run one ?
Probably not.

When Mills was manager I seem to recall he crossed it off the list preferring to put all his eggs in one basket and focus on the first team - similar to youth and developing players who could eventually break into the first team like when Flynn was manager.
You have to feel sorry for the young kids coming through - ultimately they never really get a chance. Successive managers will always play cautious and opt for the old experienced seasoned pro - rarely does a youngster break into the first team and stay there. I really rate Doug Tharme from what I have seen of him and he is probably our best young prospect - with the unfortunate injury to Lawlor described as a dislocated shoulder by BH in his post match interview - Tharme might now get his chance to at least get a place on the subs bench.

However, the real problem seems to be any fringe players coming back from injury or promising youngsters never get to play competitively as in the old Central League. Playing regular matches in a structured league would surely benefit us - but someone somewhere will hopefully have done the maths and come to the conclusion that, financially we can't do it.
Old 9th April 2019, 08.48:18   #28-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy buckley View Post
Better than sitting in the stands or on the bench watching.
Exactly. I doubt we've impressed the many of the clubs we've loaned players from, not given them a sniff of a chance, left to rot then sent them back.

I wonder if the appalling and wreck less use of loans will be addressed at the club?
Old 9th April 2019, 09.27:05   #29-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

I believe we would benefit from having a reserve team playing in a competitive league - as has been said, this would comprise of young players/squad players/ trialists?/those coming back from injuries etc.
If a player shows outstanding form in a reserve match then they should be considered for a first team start - keeps everyone on their toes.

I appreciate it would cost money but if run properly and given encouragement and respect it should benefit us ,and save money, in the long run.
Old 9th April 2019, 09.51:53   #30-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

It would be a huge benefit for sure, having players playing competitive football if they are younger players coming through, players not currently making the first team or players coming back from injury. However, it is probably a non-starter due to the cost as previous posts have mentioned (travel, accommodation etc).
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.29:58.