Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th April 2019, 10.14:11   #31-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Reserve Team....Do we need one?

We generally agree that having a reserve team would be beneficial, but that costs would be prohibitive. Everything we do in life boils down to money, yet we have good income streams (home attendances), so why can’t we make it work? I plan to attend the big AGM on Thursday night - let’s truly see what’s in the coffers.
We always had a reserve team in the 1960’s, when I started watching the club. Yet we had a modest ground and a butcher, Baker and candlestick maker on the board. Not vast amounts of cash floating around then either!
Old 9th April 2019, 11.07:09   #32-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Salford City U21s play in the North West U21 League along with FCUM and others, next season Tranmere and Macclesfield also have teams in it. It allows 3 overage players per game. Link to the players who are registered to Salfords squad below.

Salford City

Costs to run a team aren't massive, standard is decent in the Premier League.
Old 11th April 2019, 21.37:32   #33-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Wrexham Reserves used to play in the Cheshire League in the 50s and 60s along with other reserve teams like Chester, Crewe, Stockport County, Tranmere Rovers etc. playing Altrincham, Macclesfield, Northwich Victoria, Witton Albion, Hyde United during that era. Reserve teams then included some good part time professionals or even amateurs.
Wrexham A and in some seasons a Wrexham B team played in the Welsh National League, Wrexham area, during this period while Chester A played in the West Cheshire League.
Nowadays both English and Welsh FAs have a pyramid system which quite rightly, rules out reserve teams.
Personally, I favour a reserve team playing arranged friendly matches against other teams in both England or Wales, closed doors or not, which would give the opportunity for players coming back from absence, fringe players or trialists.
Old 11th April 2019, 21.45:23   #34-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Tech End.

Remember going to Rhyl for a Cheshire League game. Albert Dunlop our ex goalie was in their team. The away Wrexham fans spent the match chanting "Albert Dunlop , you're a junkie , you're a junkie'" not sure why but I probably joined in anyway.
Old 12th April 2019, 06.07:09   #35-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Not Set Click To Change

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirral Red View Post
Remember going to Rhyl for a Cheshire League game. Albert Dunlop our ex goalie was in their team. The away Wrexham fans spent the match chanting "Albert Dunlop , you're a junkie , you're a junkie'" not sure why but I probably joined in anyway.
I bet he got "Tyred" of that.
Old 12th April 2019, 07.28:46   #36-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKSE View Post
It would be a huge benefit for sure, having players playing competitive football if they are younger players coming through, players not currently making the first team or players coming back from injury. However, it is probably a non-starter due to the cost as previous posts have mentioned (travel, accommodation etc).
Accommodation ??? It would be against local teams not those from bloody London Mate
Old 12th April 2019, 08.45:14   #37-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
It has to be cost effective in terms of travel, kit, players, meals, coaches. I'm sure there's a ballpark figure of running a reserve team.

I don't think our squad is big enough to sustain it. I know we have had a fair few players this season but there have been too many loanees. I doubt parent clubs would be happy for us to be using their players in the reserves!
The squad we end up with always is big enough. We start off with small squads, realise it’s a total folly, and then end up with players kicking around not playing. There’s a clear need to build a bigger squad from the off, keep these players ticking over while they’re out of the first team, actually develop the few young players we have and avoid the revolving door of loans. I thought scrapping reserves would be a backward step and it demonstrably is one.
Old 12th April 2019, 11.00:49   #38-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
The squad we end up with always is big enough. We start off with small squads, realise it’s a total folly, and then end up with players kicking around not playing. There’s a clear need to build a bigger squad from the off, keep these players ticking over while they’re out of the first team, actually develop the few young players we have and avoid the revolving door of loans. I thought scrapping reserves would be a backward step and it demonstrably is one.
To answer the thread question; I believe there is a need for the reasons you outline. However, the costs will be the telling point.
Old 12th April 2019, 11.33:24   #39-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: MRS, ex-kopite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHYLRED View Post
I bet he got "Tyred" of that.
Nah, he was probably ok, having a goodyear…...
Old 12th April 2019, 12.49:30   #40-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
To answer the thread question; I believe there is a need for the reasons you outline. However, the costs will be the telling point.
What would it cost compared to us getting in loan players who sit on the bench unfit and unmatch ready doing nothing?
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.40:37.