RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Strikers (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113804-strikers.html)

Loughboroughred 23rd April 2019 16.38:26

Strikers

I don't think nobody can question our recruitment of strikers in the past years. If you look at the statistics they are pretty damming. Below is the goal stats for our past strikers this year. It is obvious that it is only our style of play that is causing these players to have goal droughts.

Scott Boden (Gateshead / Chesterfield - 21 Goals
Tyler Harvey (Truro City) - 20 Goals
Connor Jennings (Tranmere Rovers) - 12 Goals :bulb:
Mark Beck (Harrogate Town) - 12 Goals
Danny Wright (Solihull Moors) - 12 Goals

No doubt if we had any of the above they'd do better

Joe Quigley (Maidstone / Bromley / Eastbourne Borough / Havant and Waterlooville) - 6 Goals
George Miller (Bradford City) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Johnny Smith (Tranmere Rovers) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Louis Moult (Preston North End) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Jordan Maguire Drew (Leyton Orient) - 3 Goals
Callum Powell (Stourbridge) - 3 Goals
Alex Reid (Solihull Moors / AFC Fylde) - 2 Goals
Scott Quigley (Halifax Town) - 2 Goals
Ntumba Massanka (RWD Molenbeek) - 1 Goal

I think we need a different approach :jester::jester::jester:

Light bulb indicates playing higher league.

TomWFC 23rd April 2019 17.15:34

Re: Strikers

[QUOTE=Loughboroughred;2250612]I don't think nobody can question our recruitment of strikers in the past years. If you look at the statistics they are pretty damming. Below is the goal stats for our past strikers this year. It is obvious that it is only our style of play that is causing these players to have goal droughts.

Scott Boden (Gateshead / Chesterfield - 21 Goals
Tyler Harvey (Truro City) - 20 Goals
Connor Jennings (Tranmere Rovers) - 12 Goals :bulb:
Mark Beck (Harrogate Town) - 12 Goals
Danny Wright (Solihull Moors) - 12 Goals

No doubt if we had any of the above they'd do better

Joe Quigley (Maidstone / Bromley / Eastbourne Borough / Havant and Waterlooville) - 6 Goals
George Miller (Bradford City) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Johnny Smith (Tranmere Rovers) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Louis Moult (Preston North End) - 5 Goals :bulb:
Jordan Maguire Drew (Leyton Orient) - 3 Goals
Callum Powell (Stourbridge) - 3 Goals
Alex Reid (Solihull Moors / AFC Fylde) - 2 Goals
Scott Quigley (Halifax Town) - 2 Goals
Ntumba Massanka (RWD Molenbeek) - 1 Goal

I think we need a different approach :jester::jester::jester:

Light bulb indicates playing higher league.[/QUOTE]

These statistics are absolutely damning, and need to be looked at seriously.
I believe looking at some of these figures prove that something is drastically wrong with our whole playing philosophy & style. Our core fundamental footballing structure, in my opinion, is completely wrong and too negative.
Worrying...

noisy1 23rd April 2019 17.20:58

[QUOTE=TomWFC;2250616]These statistics are absolutely damning, and need to be looked at seriously.
I believe looking at some of these figures prove that something is drastically wrong with our whole playing philosophy & style. Our core fundamental footballing structure, in my opinion, is completely wrong and too negative.
Worrying...[/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to hear what Carl Darlington's thoughts on this are. Come on Kings, get him on Dragonheart.

davewilli 23rd April 2019 17.40:01

[QUOTE=TomWFC;2250616]These statistics are absolutely damning, and need to be looked at seriously.
Worrying...[/QUOTE]

Those statistics need addressing but it is an exaggeration to say 'our core fundamental footballing structure is wrong. Many teams concentrate on supplying their main striker, but it doesn't always prove a consistent winning formula. Goals, providers and goal scorers has to be a priority in the summer, but it should be to supplement the solid foundations we already have as most title winning sides are built on strong defence and great consistency. Keates and Ricketts knew it, but where they struggled was to add that bit of flair and potential game turners when we needed goals. Anyone who has played as a striker will know that apart from good service strikers grow in confidence and thrive if the team aren't conceding goals easily.

For some reason, maybe quality we just haven't gone that bit extra, but in my opinion we are getting closer and not that far from where we need to be. Not much BH can do in this next 3 weeks, other than get his team as best prepared as he can and if he can do that I would fancy us as much as any of the other 5 teams in the hat.

standman 23rd April 2019 17.40:45

I’m sure our managers and coaches (note pulral) have been performance managed day by day after all we have some top people on the board with experience of managing poor performing staff.

REDPHEONIX 23rd April 2019 18.10:17

I would love to see us sign a prolific striker, but regardless of opinion this low scoring defensive style of football, may be unable to accommodate one, regardless of ability.

Whether you love or loathe the style, it's improving our final league position year on year, despite the turmoil off field.

I'd happily take a low scoring defender being a top scorer for another two years if we continue to increase our total points tally and final get out of this gf league.

TomWFC 23rd April 2019 18.30:54

[QUOTE=davewilli;2250621]Those statistics need addressing but it is an exaggeration to say 'our core fundamental footballing structure is wrong. Many teams concentrate on supplying their main striker, but it doesn't always prove a consistent winning formula. Goals, providers and goal scorers has to be a priority in the summer, but it should be to supplement the solid foundations we already have as most title winning sides are built on strong defence and great consistency. Keates and Ricketts knew it, but where they struggled was to add that bit of flair and potential game turners when we needed goals. Anyone who has played as a striker will know that apart from good service strikers grow in confidence and thrive if the team aren't conceding goals easily.

For some reason, maybe quality we just haven't gone that bit extra, but in my opinion we are getting closer and not that far from where we need to be. Not much BH can do in this next 3 weeks, other than get his team as best prepared as he can and if he can do that I would fancy us as much as any of the other 5 teams in the hat.[/QUOTE]

Solid defensive foundations are vital I agree, however it shouldn't be to the neglect of playing attacking football,getting balls into dangerous areas and creating chances - they should never be mutually exclusive. This links then to poor recruitment of attacking midfielders, or a recruitment of midfielders and then just shoving them into a system hoping they might create something.

If these players (and I include Grant in this) can score fairly frequently at other clubs (and some at an even higher level) then in my opinion it points to one or two things (or both) - a flawed overly-defensive playing philosophy and a failure to recruit adequate midfielders who have the attributes to attack, create chances, get the best out of strikers and also to contribute with the odd goal.

Either way, it's damning and something which I feel will persistently lead to failure if it isn't addressed.

Birdy 23rd April 2019 18.47:25

Last 2 seasons have been the most negative in our history. Its like watching paint dry going to a wrexham match. I don't see much changing in future, until it does I won't be returning in a hurry.

John Neals Dynasty 23rd April 2019 18.54:41

I think one of the big reasons we can't score goals is a serious lack of pace by the full backs, no pace in midfield and most certainly upfront.

Yesterday a couple of times we had the opportunity to break and instead of going for it we slow the play down with sideways and backwards passing while their defence got back, that along with Wright when he gets the ball he can't control it,either goes to ground or passes to the opposition.

Also the defence is hitting balls into channels and nobody with pace to get onto it.

Reminds me of a poormans version of Mourinho. No tempo slow build ups
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.12:44.