Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th May 2019, 09.18:42   #28-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end
Twitter: @

Default Re: Is time running out..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwilliams View Post
I can see why people are angry we didn't go up and mistakes have undoubtedly been made which should now rightly be debated but some of you just need to calm down and get some perspective.
Not sure if serious.
Old 5th May 2019, 09.26:20   #29-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwilliams View Post
I think it is failure to some degree but you have to look at the context. Were we ever way clear at the top and had a catastrophic dip in form? I think by March teams had plenty of games in hand to overhaul us anyway.

Even Eastleigh was hardly meek surrender, we should have won barring refereeing controversy and bad luck and lost to a worldie.

I think we actually over achieved by being top with the squad we had. Now you can apportion blame for why the squad wasnt as strong as it could be, an abject January transfer window and money being squandered and I'd support that view, but saying we were top and didn't win the playoffs so everything is an abject disaster is too simplistic.
totally missed the point, son
Old 5th May 2019, 09.33:04   #30-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

I think one of the more worrying aspects of looking towards next season, is where some fans think that because we finished 4th and momentarily looked like we might get through three cup finals, that we actually have a squad that is capable of doing the same again next season.

In my opinion we have a squad that is more like relegation standard, down to the NLN twelve months from now. We saw glimpses of it when Pearson was out injured. One man doesn’t make a team, but he’s the nearest example of it that you will ever see, anywhere! Our defence is what got us to a play off position. The rest of the team, the midfield and (cough) attack were of a level that would have taken us down. And if Pearson leaves in the summer, that whole defence could suddenly start to wobble too. He really is that important.

If we can convince Pearson to stay (and I feel for him. He must be choking to play League football, and we are holding him back) then the management team need to think very carefully about how we can change the tactics from Set Up Not To Lose (which gets you to the play offs if you are lucky, but will never get you promotion cos ultimately you need more in your locker than that, you need goals) to a team that can still keep things reasonably tight at the back, but can score goals freely too. Goals win games. Defences and good goalkeepers just give you the opportunity to win a game.

If the Board don’t take a gamble soon, and pay out real money and wages for proper attacking pros with that bit extra, then it only takes one bad season, or the loss of a key defender or two, and we could be joining many other ‘big’ clubs in the lower league, the same way Aldershot, York, Chester, Stockport for a while, Darlington, Kidderminster, and other ex league clubs are now.

The ‘at least we still Have a club’ attitude simply doesn’t work for me. I suspect it’s the same for quite a percentage of our fan base. I’d rather go shit or bust, and risk going into the red, to get the kind of players in who will make a real fist of fighting for promotion, instead of what we’ve seen too many times in recent years. If we go bang, so be it, in my opinion. I’d rather we had a bloody good go at promotion, and fail and go bust, than just bimble along year after year after year, with boring football, No Ambition, and no realistic hope of promotion cos other clubs are spending more than us on their playing staff.

Do the people on the Board REALLY want to go up? What are they prepared to Risk, to make it happen? You have to take risks, to succeed, in any business, and in any walk of life. From high finance, down to a child making its first attempts to stand up and walk. It strikes me the Target for the Board every year is, keep us in profit as a business. That is the limits of the ambition. Success on the pitch is a very distant second priority.

Every club, at any level of football, has to have an ambition. Even if it’s that it’s kinda punching above it’s weight at a certain level, and it’s ambition is to survive in that league they are in. But I think many of our fans feel we aren’t the latter, we shouldn’t just be glad we’ve got a club at all, we shouldn’t settle for staying in this league cos at least we still have a club.

How long before all the kids and teenagers who are currently coming to watch us, finally decide to go off and do something else, cos they will get fed up of failure, and insipid football to watch? Everyone has their limits at that age. There’s only a few thousand of us older people (like me) who will blindly renew our season ticket out of loyalty and duty.

My message to the Board is, what is your priority? What is the target? Promotion, or balancing the books?

If it’s the latter, we are going nowhere, and we will eventually get relegated. One more season of plodders in the squad, and a loss of a key player like Pearson, and we can and Will go down.

Speculate to accumulate. Break the bank to get a decent attacking squad together for next season. If we go bust afterwards, I for one will applaud the fact that we had a go. Better to try and fail, than plod on with no real ambition, no real Life.

If we succeed, and we are in a loss making position, then we would, I expect, get that money back via the promotion we invested in, due to the funding and payments that come with being part of the EFL again. And we then have the springboard to do what Lincoln, Tranmere, Luton and others have done, to rise further and further, and give the kids in the ground something to really be proud of.

I know I’m in the minority with my view, but I just wanted to get it off my chest, as I’ve been stewing since Thursday. Cheers.

Last edited by WrexSi; 5th May 2019 at 09.34:39..
Old 5th May 2019, 09.37:16   #31-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

We dodged a bullet on Thursday. Had we gone up we would have struggled massively with these players, this manager , this Board and the financial limits of ‘fans’ ownership. Eastleigh did us a favour and gave us a bit more time to choose whether we want to really build and develop or continue to manage / mismanage (the jury is out on this) a sad decline .

So is time now up ? No, it ran out a long time ago.
Old 5th May 2019, 09.42:58   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo View Post
This is what it will take. Fans voting with their feet. Dull football, consistent failure and an arrogant football board out of their depth who have set up an electoral firewall around themselves. Disappointing season ticket sales, dwindling pay-on-the-day figures and so on may eventually work but who wants to flirt with relegation next season? If the club was private hands I am sure there would have been (non-violent) direct action by now. However, this has not happened as it would be perceived as disloyal. After all, 'we are still here'. FFS. In summary, fans ownership at this club has failed.
It plummet the club backwards or even kill the club.

Instead of emulating the likes of Tranmere we will follow the Chester model. I get all those out there desperate for a private owner to throw money at it, but if the club slips back to the state we were in previously, then once again we will be vulnerable to unscrupulous individuals to again threaten our very existence.

We are all hurting and despondent at the minute about prospects for next season. Feeling sorry for ourselves and cutting our noses off to spite our faces will achieve nothing but further misery.

Yes, like the other 22 NL teams we haven't achieved promotion but 4th was much higher than many had predicted or hoped for at various points since this time last year. We have shown real progress over the last 2 seasons, (exception being the goals for column) and now isn't the time to lose faith or change direction.

If we had gone backwards then fair enough, did Tranmere rip it up and start again when they missed out in the play offs, of course they didn't they built on the fine line between success and failure and reaped their aawards.

Fair enough get this nonsense off our chests over the next few weeks but then we need to focus our minds on the club going forward in as many areas that we can influence.

Last edited by davewilli; 5th May 2019 at 09.44:11..
Old 5th May 2019, 09.44:59   #33-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Hays Travel Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrexSi View Post
I think one of the more worrying aspects of looking towards next season, is where some fans think that because we finished 4th and momentarily looked like we might get through three cup finals, that we actually have a squad that is capable of doing the same again next season.

In my opinion we have a squad that is more like relegation standard, down to the NLN twelve months from now. We saw glimpses of it when Pearson was out injured. One man doesn’t make a team, but he’s the nearest example of it that you will ever see, anywhere! Our defence is what got us to a play off position. The rest of the team, the midfield and (cough) attack were of a level that would have taken us down. And if Pearson leaves in the summer, that whole defence could suddenly start to wobble too. He really is that important.

If we can convince Pearson to stay (and I feel for him. He must be choking to play League football, and we are holding him back) then the management team need to think very carefully about how we can change the tactics from Set Up Not To Lose (which gets you to the play offs if you are lucky, but will never get you promotion cos ultimately you need more in your locker than that, you need goals) to a team that can still keep things reasonably tight at the back, but can score goals freely too. Goals win games. Defences and good goalkeepers just give you the opportunity to win a game.

If the Board don’t take a gamble soon, and pay out real money and wages for proper attacking pros with that bit extra, then it only takes one bad season, or the loss of a key defender or two, and we could be joining many other ‘big’ clubs in the lower league, the same way Aldershot, York, Chester, Stockport for a while, Darlington, Kidderminster, and other ex league clubs are now.

The ‘at least we still Have a club’ attitude simply doesn’t work for me. I suspect it’s the same for quite a percentage of our fan base. I’d rather go shit or bust, and risk going into the red, to get the kind of players in who will make a real fist of fighting for promotion, instead of what we’ve seen too many times in recent years. If we go bang, so be it, in my opinion. I’d rather we had a bloody good go at promotion, and fail and go bust, than just bimble along year after year after year, with boring football, No Ambition, and no realistic hope of promotion cos other clubs are spending more than us on their playing staff.

Do the people on the Board REALLY want to go up? What are they prepared to Risk, to make it happen? You have to take risks, to succeed, in any business, and in any walk of life. From high finance, down to a child making its first attempts to stand up and walk. It strikes me the Target for the Board every year is, keep us in profit as a business. That is the limits of the ambition. Success on the pitch is a very distant second priority.

Every club, at any level of football, has to have an ambition. Even if it’s that it’s kinda punching above it’s weight at a certain level, and it’s ambition is to survive in that league they are in. But I think many of our fans feel we aren’t the latter, we shouldn’t just be glad we’ve got a club at all, we shouldn’t settle for staying in this league cos at least we still have a club.

How long before all the kids and teenagers who are currently coming to watch us, finally decide to go off and do something else, cos they will get fed up of failure, and insipid football to watch? Everyone has their limits at that age. There’s only a few thousand of us older people (like me) who will blindly renew our season ticket out of loyalty and duty.

My message to the Board is, what is your priority? What is the target? Promotion, or balancing the books?

If it’s the latter, we are going nowhere, and we will eventually get relegated. One more season of plodders in the squad, and a loss of a key player like Pearson, and we can and Will go down.

Speculate to accumulate. Break the bank to get a decent attacking squad together for next season. If we go bust afterwards, I for one will applaud the fact that we had a go. Better to try and fail, than plod on with no real ambition, no real Life.

If we succeed, and we are in a loss making position, then we would, I expect, get that money back via the promotion we invested in, due to the funding and payments that come with being part of the EFL again. And we then have the springboard to do what Lincoln, Tranmere, Luton and others have done, to rise further and further, and give the kids in the ground something to really be proud of.

I know I’m in the minority with my view, but I just wanted to get it off my chest, as I’ve been stewing since Thursday. Cheers.
Good post.
Old 5th May 2019, 09.54:59   #34-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
Surely your gripe is with Barrow and not Hughes?

Did someone post on here that Hughes had the best win rate of the three managers this season; achieved with players he largely didn’t acquire.

I’m not saying he was the right choice and mistake haven’t been made but there needs to be a bit of context.

The style of football is a smokescreen because all supporters want is a team competing at the business end. The attendance stats back up that argument.
The attendance stats mean shit here Alan Wrexham fans turn up when there’s still a chance of promotion they always have.

The Wrexham board are out of depth, in transfers set up by the players we sold they have achieved nothing with that income and people saying pass a motion aren’t grasping the 2000 wst members aren’t half of those in the ground people don’t want to be a member and after years saying “increase the membership” if they wanted to be one they would be.

Anyone who makes excuses now just doesn’t want too accept the wst isn’t what the club needs anymore, it needed it at the time to safeguard it but right now they are holding us back it’s been the same mistakes over and over.

We have had how much revenue from transfers and the signings have been the same, making a tiny profit but we are still here sums up the mindset.

I actually cannot believe they appointed Davies and then Hughes they should if they really cared about the clubs general future look at their mistakes do the honourable thing and admit their mistakes and stand aside they did more than most but that board of mills and Spencer has actually put the worst teams to ever wear the Wrexham shirt out on the racecourse.

For me anyone defending the decision making are part of the problem we are still here, I expect nothing to change and the only way it will is if the wst sell the club but it’s not going to happen! They all love sitting in their seats thinking they are directors in reality if this were a paid job their p45’s would of been thrown at them!
Old 5th May 2019, 10.01:10   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

I think we now know why 'we scoured the country for the best managerial talent' and ended uo with no-one to choose from because they had to play how Darlington says. Challinor walked from his interview. He would be like "so I plan to play an attacking, possession based style with the emphasis on entertaining football being key to how we play", Spence then intejects "let me stop you right there Dave, we have Carl Darlington for that we just need you to pick the team and take charge of training and ensure we keep it tight the back". Challinor then walks out and thinks "what a tinpot club they are".
Old 5th May 2019, 10.02:00   #36-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post
It plummet the club backwards or even kill the club.

Instead of emulating the likes of Tranmere we will follow the Chester model. I get all those out there desperate for a private owner to throw money at it, but if the club slips back to the state we were in previously, then once again we will be vulnerable to unscrupulous individuals to again threaten our very existence.

We are all hurting and despondent at the minute about prospects for next season. Feeling sorry for ourselves and cutting our noses off to spite our faces will achieve nothing but further misery.

Yes, like the other 22 NL teams we haven't achieved promotion but 4th was much higher than many had predicted or hoped for at various points since this time last year. We have shown real progress over the last 2 seasons, (exception being the goals for column) and now isn't the time to lose faith or change direction.

If we had gone backwards then fair enough, did Tranmere rip it up and start again when they missed out in the play offs, of course they didn't they built on the fine line between success and failure and reaped their aawards.

Fair enough get this nonsense off our chests over the next few weeks but then we need to focus our minds on the club going forward in as many areas that we can influence.
Just reading your post here, JESUS CHRIST how many years of this shit do you want to endure?

We have gone backwards under every year of trust ownership look at the league final standings of trust ownership. Tranmere had money to spend and didn’t have a board of idiots who have no business sense at all, they make mistakes it’s not their pockets hurt it’s the club there’s no accountability in this setup just you expect everyone to carry on?

Personally all board members have made too many mistakes Spencer and anyone else here from the beginning need to step aside now, they are killing the club.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.57:27.