RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Some little changes (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113910-some-little-changes.html)

Congy Red 6th May 2019 09.46:49

Some little changes

For context to my comments you can read [url]https://wrexhamfan.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/we-go-again/[/url]

I think this is a thoughtful and honest appraisal of the season. Its not easy to see what we would do differently with the same players, but I think there are two changes we could make for next season and maintain continuity.

Mark Carrington is our best rightback. He doesn't always play there, or anywhere, because of his utility to the matchday squad. I think we should release him from the utility role and play him as first choice rightback next season. Roberts is a very good deputy, who can also fill in at centreback.

Paul Rutherford is a very good central midfielder, and probably a better option in midfield than Carrington because of his extra pace. We need to solve the attacking midfielder issue with a new player, but Rutherford can be utilised off the bench to fill this role.

CRUMBS 6th May 2019 09.52:54

Re: Some little changes

Have you thought it may be an idea to wait for the retained list as we've done this over about 2 million times .

Rob Edwards 6th May 2019 09.56:37

Roberts a good centre back ?Did you see Harrogate home ?
Rutherford 1 goal and only assists against bottom half sides.
Both are honest professionals but not what we need if we are serious about trying to finally gain promotion.

EnglishRed 6th May 2019 10.05:58

I'd like us to sign a right back with more pace than Carrington (although I'd keep Carrington as a useful utility back up) but if we started the season with him as RB I have no doubt he'd do OK.

I'd release Roberts and keep Kennedy, personally.

I'd also release Rutherford. Thank him for his efforts but we need someone with a better final ball.

benwilliams 6th May 2019 10.41:39

I've been despairing of the negativity on here but even I think the article in the OP is taking rose coloured glasses a bit far!

John Neals Dynasty 6th May 2019 10.44:24

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2255491]Roberts a good centre back ?Did you see Harrogate home ?
Rutherford 1 goal and only assists against bottom half sides.
Both are honest professionals but not what we need if we are serious about trying to finally gain promotion.[/QUOTE]

In other words he wants to carry on playing as we are with the same incompetent players.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

EnglishRed 6th May 2019 11.03:19

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2255503]In other words he wants to carry on playing as we are with the same incompetent players.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

The same incompetent players who had us top for large parts of the season and narrowly lost a play off game?

I know people are dissapointed but let's maintain a bit of perspective. I agree with that article for the most part, although I think the changes needed in the summer need to be a little bit more than the author is advocating. We need a new approach and the whole squad needs freshening up. But the bones of a successful sides are there.

Gwersyllt-Robin 6th May 2019 11.08:52

The defence is solid, unfortunately that’s all it is. Playing a holding midfielder allows for the RB and LB to bomb forward by dropping deep and filling the gap, but without attacking full backs we just end up with an 5 man defence with limited attacking width so therefore have to go through the middle. This makes it very easy to defend against with limited chances for any striker we bring in up top, whether it be Oswell, Beavon or even Rowe if we did sign him...our offensive issue start at the back.

Ddraigoch 6th May 2019 12.57:53

When do we think the retained list will be out?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.36:41.