RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Is there a best formation? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113927-there-best-formation.html)

Colomiers Phoenix 10th May 2019 18.36:31

Re: Is there a best formation?

End of thread - the Oracle has spoken

Jaded 10th May 2019 18.50:29

[QUOTE=Colomiers Phoenix;2257110]End of thread - the Oracle has spoken[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason you don't want people discussing stuff?

pagl 11th May 2019 01.36:09

[QUOTE=Colomiers Phoenix;2257110]End of thread - the Oracle has spoken[/QUOTE]

Quite right :)
What do you disagree with?

sparky 11th May 2019 06.58:32

[QUOTE=Sandgrounder;2257008]

Personally, I'd prefer a flat 442 as everybody in non league, supporters and players alike, know exactly where they stand with that formation and it covers more of the bases more of the time than any other formation I've seen played in non league.

I also think, however, that modern football obsesses way too much about formations. I wish managers would just go out and get the best players they can, and then choose the formation based on what they have and not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

All of this. Sports science is a wonderful thing in many sports, but it also has a lot to answer for as many fall victim to paralysis by analysis. At this level, keep it simple.

Prodigal Dragon 11th May 2019 07.16:40

Almost anything bar 4-3-3, which only works if you have 2 attacking FBs and 3 exceptional midfielders.

blackbrookred 11th May 2019 09.54:16

[QUOTE=pagl;2257105]Formations have been discussed all season. Darlo has set out a 433 policy, something Keates didnt want apparently.
However if we dont play to the 433 and it just becomes 451 or we dont recruit players for the formation then its immaterial.

I would prefer 442 as its simpler at this level and requires 2 forwards that work as a team.
Its also easier to recruit a 4 man midfield with 2 CMs and 2 wide players that can work left and right midfield.[/QUOTE]

However it's difficult to recruit 2 midfielders who are good enough to win the midfield battle on their own.

Personally 3-5-2.

3 central defenders and 2 wing backs. A holding midfielder who can drop back in to cover a central defender if they get pulled wide and 2 up top working closer together.

pagl 11th May 2019 09.59:15

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2257184]However it's difficult to recruit 2 midfielders who are good enough to win the midfield battle on their own.

Personally 3-5-2.

3 central defenders and 2 wing backs. A holding midfielder who can drop back in to cover a central defender if they get pulled wide and 2 up top working closer together.[/QUOTE]

As long as we recruit to the formation then fine.

Wreck Sam 11th May 2019 09.59:43

I hope we will not be driven by whiteboards and classroom theory. At this level we have to see what players we end up with and play to their strengths. If we were able to financially compete with financially more organised teams, then maybe we could attract players to fit the whiteboard drawings... if we cant then we need to rely on a managers experience to get the best out of what we have so that we don't keep endlessly wasting what cash we do have.

blackbrookred 11th May 2019 10.36:29

[QUOTE=pagl;2257186]As long as we recruit to the formation then fine.[/QUOTE]

That's the same for any formation.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.23:45.