RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Is there a best formation? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113927-there-best-formation.html)

stanvax 10th May 2019 11.42:05

Is there a best formation?

We have been playing 4-3-3 for the last few years without it really doing the trick particularly in terms of goals scored. From my point of view it seems to leave the central striker far too isolated - often turning into a 4-5-1. At the same time we seem to struggle to generate width, stretch teams and create space.

That said lots of teams play this and score loads so it may be a personnel issue or tactical issue (we are too route one on my opinion) rather than a system issue.

So - what formation should we adopt next season? - should BH decide on the formation and recruit players to play it effectively - or base the formation on the limitations of the existing players we have?

Personally - I favour a 442 or 4132 - and recruit towards achieving that.

krux 10th May 2019 11.45:57

Re: Is there a best formation?

unless we sign 2 superstar CM's and bin off the current crop. Even young and summerfield aren't good enough for a midfield 2.

moynkeepthefaith 10th May 2019 12.01:43

For me its a 4-3-2-1 with hopefully two full backs who can get up and down the wing covered by the 2 in front of them (Carra for sure could fill such a role alongside for example a wedgbury) Then three more creative midfielders preferably with goals in two of them and an out and out striker.

Sandgrounder 10th May 2019 12.22:29

[QUOTE=stanvax;2256995]We have been playing 4-3-3 for the last few years without it really doing the trick particularly in terms of goals scored. From my point of view it seems to leave the central striker far too isolated - often turning into a 4-5-1. At the same time we seem to struggle to generate width, stretch teams and create space.

That said lots of teams play this and score loads so it may be a personnel issue or tactical issue (we are too route one on my opinion) rather than a system issue.

So - what formation should we adopt next season? - should BH decide on the formation and recruit players to play it effectively - or base the formation on the limitations of the existing players we have?

Personally - I favour a 442 or 4132 - and recruit towards achieving that.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, Stanvax.

I haven't seen too much of Wrexham in the last season or two but the team I have been watching also play 433 or a 442 with diamond midfield. They have had identical issues to the ones you identify, so I think it's a system issue unless you have the players to make it work.

Personally, I'd prefer a flat 442 as everybody in non league, supporters and players alike, know exactly where they stand with that formation and it covers more of the bases more of the time than any other formation I've seen played in non league.

I also think, however, that modern football obsesses way too much about formations. I wish managers would just go out and get the best players they can, and then choose the formation based on what they have and not the other way around.

Cress 10th May 2019 14.06:47

There isn't a best formation. It's entirely about the roles your players skills fit best. Those skills also dictate the style of football too.

redmatt 10th May 2019 15.54:18

451 or 442 with two good wingers. Which we need! To easy to defend against just wing backs!
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

OriginalRhylRed 10th May 2019 15.56:32

couldnt care less about the formation just want to win and be entertained ...... no chance

LlayDragon 10th May 2019 16.39:16

If you have good players formations become far less of a talking point.

pagl 10th May 2019 18.24:39

Formations have been discussed all season. Darlo has set out a 433 policy, something Keates didnt want apparently.
However if we dont play to the 433 and it just becomes 451 or we dont recruit players for the formation then its immaterial.

I would prefer 442 as its simpler at this level and requires 2 forwards that work as a team.
Its also easier to recruit a 4 man midfield with 2 CMs and 2 wide players that can work left and right midfield.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 04.26:08.