RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Best ever Non League team (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/113945-best-ever-non-league-team.html)

REDJB 16th May 2019 16.15:12

Re: Best ever Non League team

How many of these teams have players that Saunders plucked from nowhere ?

Obeng
Ashton
NKP
Harris
Fowler
Clarke
Speight

and to that the ones that would have been more expensive

Keates
Wright
Creighton

Whens the last time we plucked someone from obscurity on trial that turned into a decent first team regular ?

EnglishRed 16th May 2019 18.28:39

Fair does Saunders took some risks. Football genius or lucky?

Obeng--Released from Man City no senior football experience
Ashton--Released when Chester went bust
NKP- Signed as a left winger. Previously spent 6 years at Histon as a part time footballer.
Harris- twelve month ban by FA. Released from Chester when they went bust.
Fowler--Released by FGR after injury. Nomadic career including playing at lower levels
Speight--Released from Bradford. Previously jailed for Assault

Saunders also had a complete scatter gun approach. How many players did he get in on trial who never played for the club or who were utter s***e?

sparky 16th May 2019 18.36:00

[QUOTE=REDJB;2258591]How many of these teams have players that Saunders plucked from nowhere ?

Obeng
Ashton
NKP
Harris
Fowler
Clarke
Speight

and to that the ones that would have been more expensive

Keates
Wright
Creighton

Whens the last time we plucked someone from obscurity on trial that turned into a decent first team regular ?[/QUOTE]

Yep, not forgetting Pogba and top end loan players like Flynn and Croft.

The pattern for this best non league team is there for all to see, and despite what some would have you believe, didn't cost fortunes to put together.

REDJB 16th May 2019 18.47:05

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2258619]Fair does Saunders took some risks. Football genius or lucky?

Obeng--Released from Man City no senior football experience
Ashton--Released when Chester went bust
NKP- Signed as a left winger. Previously spent 6 years at Histon as a part time footballer.
Harris- twelve month ban by FA. Released from Chester when they went bust.
Fowler--Released by FGR after injury. Nomadic career including playing at lower levels
Speight--Released from Bradford. Previously jailed for Assault

Saunders also had a complete scatter gun approach. How many players did he get in on trial who never played for the club or who were utter s***e?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't cost anything bringing players in to have a look at. People say he used X amount of players..... How many have we used this season? Must be easily north of 30. Some brought in, not even good enough to make the squad.
His strike record for traillsits was very good. Can't think of any that we've had that have been a success since he left...... Let alone sold on for money or went on to play in the league.

the spirit of 76 16th May 2019 19.02:58

[QUOTE=WREX01;2258541]Lainton

Obeng
Pearson
Smith
Ashton

Keates
Harris
Fowler

Speight
Wright
Mangan

That team would absolutely walk the league this year if they were in their prime.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

What about chris Blackburn might have upset a few fans as he did not want to be a midfielder but he put in some outstanding performances in that postion.

Foxy 16th May 2019 19.08:26

[QUOTE=REDJB;2258626]Doesn't cost anything bringing players in to have a look at. People say he used X amount of players..... How many have we used this season? Must be easily north of 30. Some brought in, not even good enough to make the squad.
His strike record for traillsits was very good. Can't think of any that we've had that have been a success since he left...... Let alone sold on for money or went on to play in the league.[/QUOTE]

You are brave defending Saunders. Expect a horse’s head in your bed tomorrow morning. For the Nodding Dogs , who live in a Manichean world of good and evil, he was part of the Toss and Robber era and remains a non person. Good luck....

EnglishRed 16th May 2019 19.16:24

[QUOTE=REDJB;2258626]Doesn't cost anything bringing players in to have a look at. People say he used X amount of players..... How many have we used this season? Must be easily north of 30. Some brought in, not even good enough to make the squad.
His strike record for traillsits was very good. Can't think of any that we've had that have been a success since he left...... Let alone sold on for money or went on to play in the league.[/QUOTE]

I think it's 29 as far as I can work out. Not including Thorn and Sargent.

He had the money to do it, it would have been strange if he didn't. I just think it's interesting he wasn't afraid to take risks on players with dodgy pasts, or no direct experience of the league we were in.

REDJB 16th May 2019 19.19:11

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2258639]I think it's 29 as far as I can work out. Not including Thorn and Sargent.

He had the money to do it, it would have been strange if he didn't. I just think it's interesting he wasn't afraid to take risks on players with dodgy pasts, or no direct experience of the league we were in.[/QUOTE]

Had the money to bring players in on trail? Costs petrol money if that. Most come to train for free.

EnglishRed 16th May 2019 22.46:13

[QUOTE=REDJB;2258641]Had the money to bring players in on trail? Costs petrol money if that. Most come to train for free.[/QUOTE]

Had the money to sign as many players as he wanted. He didn't just get the in on trial. He'd buy players we'd never see again.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.25:48.