Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd June 2019, 10.39:44   #1-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default The Wrexham AFC Football Strategy?

Apologies to all if I have missed it but time has come for the club to implement and consider a formal football strategy.

The club does so much right, but glaring failure in this area, arguably behind balancing the books, the most important part of the business, is there for all to see. I havent been engaged as much over the last few years and hardly went to any matches last season due to time and family priorities but I was shocked at the 6 years without a play off place statistic. That as I'm sure you will all agree is a massive failure.

I am surprised none of the trust election candidates mentioned this in their election statements. You dont have to be a football person to suggest that some football people devise it.

I have said before and continue to promote a role within the club of a director of football. My argument is always, you wouldn't run and electrical company without anyone who knew about electrics....Football club should be no different. The football direction should not be at the behest of a historically volatile or temporary manager position.

My feeling is the Club Board have done a great job in their managerial appointments, too good in fact, however, we need a overall macro strategy.

I would advocate a paid position on a part time basis. Someone to produce a framework for success throughout the clubs footballing operations. This may be from youth, scouting, facilities and personnel.

Now its easy to say outside investment, would do it and there is no coincidence that the more money you spend the more success you have as a club, Salford is testament to that. It is also true though that funds need to be channelled and used correctly. Look at our pre season friendly rivals Stoke. Massive spending but the wrong personnel and a miserable 16th in the Championship. For the avoidance of doubt I am 100% behind the WST ownership model but advocate a tweek in this area.

So Implementation? Why I mentioned the trust board is that they control the Operational (Club) board. This is the extract that deals with strategy:

7. Strategy
7.1 It is the role of the Trust Board to set the strategy and objectives of the Club communicated with the members and the Operational Board.
7.2 It is recommended that Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are used to reflect the strategic objectives and measure progress in these identified areas.
7.3 KPIs should cover a range of areas, with some relating to the day to day operation of the Club, therefore they are likely to be managed by the Operational Board.
7.4 Progress of KPIs should be monitored by the Trust Board and performance should be reported to the membership at the AGM [, and as part of the half yearly/three times annually report].
7.5 The Trust Board and Operational board should aim to meet at least once a year to discuss KPIs and strategy.

Strategy and Objectives should be to play football at the highest level whilst securing the longterm future etc as detailed in the Trust Objectives. Perhaps these Objectives require updating to reflect the requirement of most of us for something to cheer....

COYR..
Old 3rd June 2019, 10.45:42   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: mold road stand

Default Re: The Wrexham AFC Football Strategy?

Very good , but QR will tell you it's an idea but not one that he favours and that's that . It's obvious really but have you got a job on convincing some .
Old 3rd June 2019, 10.59:06   #3-0 (permalink)
"It's Only A Game!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUMBS View Post
Very good , but QR will tell you it's an idea but not one that he favours and that's that . It's obvious really but have you got a job on convincing some .
Must be a record for a decent post to descend into name calling!
Old 3rd June 2019, 10.59:10   #4-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale Kop end

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUMBS View Post
I see both sides .
If you can guarantee getting someone whos going to work wonders , paid or otherwise , then its a no brainer !
But the worst scenario is getting a paid one that does not improve things to any great degree
Old 3rd June 2019, 11.08:31   #5-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
I see both sides .
If you can guarantee getting someone whos going to work wonders , paid or otherwise , then its a no brainer !
But the worst scenario is getting a paid one that does not improve things to any great degree
Agreed, however, given our track record of late, I would suggest that the 'risk' is one worth taking.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12.00:55   #6-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Thought it was a joke thread when I saw the title. Strategy!!

For me there are 3 key strategies that should be priority.

Club membership
Ground ownership
Football recruitment.

The recent years scattergun approach has been awful.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12.10:49   #7-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale Kop end

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pmsaturday View Post
Agreed, however, given our track record of late, I would suggest that the 'risk' is one worth taking.
Yes , I think you are right ,and there wont be many that disagree
Old 3rd June 2019, 12.25:29   #8-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Thought it was a joke thread when I saw the title. Strategy!!

For me there are 3 key strategies that should be priority.

Club membership
Ground ownership
Football recruitment.

The recent years scattergun approach has been awful.
Surely if you are a successful football team membership would increase
naturally.
Ground ownership would be great, but at what cost? Nonleague football.
To recruit decent, ambitious footballers you need the Recruiter to have
full knowledge of who he recruits not some lad from the golf course or
someone from Kellogs.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13.29:21   #9-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Harry,
I am talking about a strategy to increase membership not just manage it.
Would it grow if form was better? Were not on 5,000 after last season are we?

Ground ownership is a dream but needs a strategy.

Football needs to take into account structure and putting in place a minimum number of requirements. It needs to be a framework for a manager to work with and not a cut and dried way of doing things.
A combination of a few factors from COE to buying a player.
January showed our complete lack of any strategy or plan.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 02.14:41.