Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th June 2019, 21.55:31   #82-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Vote Rockin' Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The nickname / mascot etc is not just for the kids, it is for the big kids too.

Re-reading the reasoning crystallises my original point “By developing the imagery to incorporate a more Welsh feel, we hope that the Club will become more appealing to the wider community of North Wales.”

Non local bloke comes in as a marketing genius, whack a dragon on it and they will lap it up was the strategy.

Are we now more appealing to North Wales as people up the coast love a dragon, coz all the welshies love that and rugby boyo *pops a leek hat on starts singing 'that really long town name' on demand*
Not the point I’m making; I agreed that if it had never happened you wouldn’t need to make it happen. But to change back needs a strong case and there isn’t one, no more so than changing the badge back to a previous design, or to blue shirts, or hooped shirts permanently. Some would happily move grounds too. All of these things happen for varying reasons, so latching onto this as any kind of crazier move than any of the others just because you remember it changing seems a waste of time. And mascots are more for kids than they are for you and me, surely that’s obvious.
Old 13th June 2019, 22.39:37   #83-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

I think the Dragons/Robins issue is looked at from four main issues,
1. Mascot
2. Heritage.
3. Marketing.
4. Tradition.

1. As far as young children are concerned anything that looks like it’s come off CBeebies will be preferable to watching a football match so the choice the Dragon or Robin is not an issue and loyalties soon change.
2. Nicknames evolve from an incident or circumstance and the original reason is usually lost over time as in the case of “The Robins”. “The Dragons” was the idea of some one from out of the area who wasn’t here for 5 minutes.
3. The main catchment area for purchase of Wrexham FC memorabilia is probably 15 miles. The unique Rockin Robin items could only be bought in the club shop, the best place for Dragon items is the gift shops in Llangollen.
Show 100 people in North Wales a picture of a Dragon and ask them what it represents and I bet you could count on one hand the number who say Wrexham FC but show them one of Rockin Robin!!!
Robin may not be unique in Football but it is unique in our target market.
4.The Red Dragon is often seen as a shorthand for all things Welsh, being used by many indigenous public and private institutions (e.g.: The Welsh Assembly Government, Visit Wales, numerous local authorities including Blaenau Gwent, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Rhondda Cynon Taf, and sports bodies, including the Sport Wales National Centre, the Football Association of Wales, Newport Gwent Dragons, London Welsh RFC, etc.)
Old 14th June 2019, 06.57:11   #84-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
We’re the Robins after being named after a director called Robinson - one version of the tale at least that took hold. You don’t have to know this but probably ought to if you’re going to argue the toss about meaning.
Thats not true, you are talking about the origin. The meaning comes from the fact that it was OUR nickname regardless of the origin.
Old 14th June 2019, 08.17:30   #85-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

We have a generation of children who are the future of the club who have only ever known us as the Dragons, yet we have middle aged men trying to relive their own youth by hanging on to their past.

I remember Rockin very well, but I now believe that, rather like wearing blue and white stripped shirts, is for the history books. I do believe the WST should have opened up this particular vote to the junior members so they could have their say.
Old 14th June 2019, 09.11:22   #86-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfan View Post
We have a generation of children who are the future of the club who have only ever known us as the Dragons, yet we have middle aged men trying to relive their own youth by hanging on to their past.

I remember Rockin very well, but I now believe that, rather like wearing blue and white stripped shirts, is for the history books. I do believe the WST should have opened up this particular vote to the junior members so they could have their say.
Agreed. It's madness and totally pointless.
Old 14th June 2019, 11.33:56   #87-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfan View Post

you are free to vote as you see fit, just as people are free to bring such a motion.
Old 14th June 2019, 13.06:12   #88-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
you are free to vote as you see fit, just as people are free to bring such a motion.
How about a rule that if a motion is defeated it cannot be brought back for x years?
Posted via mobile theme
Old 14th June 2019, 13.18:17   #89-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxm boy View Post
How about a rule that if a motion is defeated it cannot be brought back for x years?
Posted via mobile theme
Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
people are free to bring such a motion.
Old 14th June 2019, 13.18:40   #90-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Of all the issues at the club this is the very least of our worries.
In fact its such a non issue I think its probably someone having a bit of a joke.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 20.46:49.