RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Change to allow campaigning in elections to change 7% turnout - Board says may favour popular people (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114031-change-allow-campaigning-elections-change-7%25-turnout-board-says-may-favour-popular-people.html)

Rob 6th June 2019 07.39:22

Change to allow campaigning in elections to change 7% turnout - Board says may favour popular people

Another resolution thread - can you see what I am doing while having a coffee? :D

Proposer Richard Ulrich explains the change he is putting forward:
[I]
There are currently 3,565 members of the society but only approximately seven percent take part and vote in the annual society AGM. I think a key reason for this is that candidates are restricted to their candidate statement by the society rules when it comes to campaigning for election to the society board. We live in a world dominated by technology and social media; most people use or have access to the Internet these days. The annual society election also takes place in the close season when members are maybe taking a break from everything football related, they don't go to the pub with their mates as often and discuss club matters. 90 percent of the communications about the annual AGM and election are made via the official websites, social media and email. If you don't have an email address, then you receive a pack in the post. If the vast majority of communications about the annual AGM and election are via the Internet, then candidates should also be allowed to use these methods when it comes to campaigning for election to the board which would enable them to engage meaningfully with the members of the society.

[/I]

Board 'comment' is [I]"....but allowing campaigning via social media would run the risk of disproportionately benefiting those candidates who already have a large social media presence. Not all members and prospective candidates do, and they would be unfairly disadvantaged."[/I] etc

more on [url]https://wst.org.uk/wp/?page_id=503[/url]

WrexhamO 6th June 2019 07.49:43

Re: Change to allow campaigning in elections to change 7% turnout - Board says may favour popular pe

Great resolution.

7% turnout of voters is terrible and needs something to liven it up.

Iesty 6th June 2019 07.50:34

Re: Change to allow campaigning in elections to change 7% turnout - Board says may favour popular pe

voted for probably the first time in my membership because i saw these threads

wxmultra 6th June 2019 08.32:12

The current board choosing not to back this? How else can we boost the turn out? Is it because most of the cyber generation will try there hardest to actually make changes to the current stale board, and those higher up the chain may be pushed out?

Phils-an-alki 6th June 2019 08.33:58

Why would when the majority of the 7% will blindly vote for whatever the board wants them to.

Ooh aah Paskin 6th June 2019 08.34:10

[QUOTE=wxmultra;2264175]The current board choosing not to back this? How else can we boost the turn out? Is it because most of the cyber generation will try there hardest to actually make changes to the current stale board, and those higher up the chain may be pushed out?[/QUOTE]

Social media is a powerful tool if used correctly. I am sure there may be some concerns about it from higher up...

pagl 6th June 2019 09.01:51

[QUOTE=Ooh aah Paskin;2264178]Social media is a powerful tool if used correctly. I am sure there may be some concerns about it from higher up...[/QUOTE]

Yeh. The club could use it to their advantage but are Dinos set in their ways.

WrexhamO 6th June 2019 09.15:55

[QUOTE=Rob;2264139]Another resolution thread - can you see what I am doing while having a coffee? :D

Proposer Richard Ulrich explains the change he is putting forward:
[I]
There are currently 3,565 members of the society but only approximately seven percent take part and vote in the annual society AGM. I think a key reason for this is that candidates are restricted to their candidate statement by the society rules when it comes to campaigning for election to the society board. We live in a world dominated by technology and social media; most people use or have access to the Internet these days. The annual society election also takes place in the close season when members are maybe taking a break from everything football related, they don't go to the pub with their mates as often and discuss club matters. 90 percent of the communications about the annual AGM and election are made via the official websites, social media and email. If you don't have an email address, then you receive a pack in the post. If the vast majority of communications about the annual AGM and election are via the Internet, then candidates should also be allowed to use these methods when it comes to campaigning for election to the board which would enable them to engage meaningfully with the members of the society.

[/I]

Board 'comment' is [I]"....but allowing campaigning via social media would run the risk of disproportionately benefiting those candidates who already have a large social media presence. Not all members and prospective candidates do, and they would be unfairly disadvantaged."[/I] etc

more on [url]https://wst.org.uk/wp/?page_id=503[/url][/QUOTE]

Is the board posting out the resolutions then, so those without a social media presence can have their vote?

Todd Sweeney 6th June 2019 09.19:36

[QUOTE=WrexhamO;2264205]Is the board posting out the resolutions then, so those without a social media presence can have their vote?[/QUOTE]

They have emailed all members.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.09:24.