Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th June 2019, 19.33:50   #1-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default RIP Colin Purton

Following a much publicised police and search and rescue search, it has been confirmed that long time Wrexham fan and Castell Alun Cricket Club president Colin Purton has sadly passed away.

He favoured watching from the corner of the kop when it was open, presumably to mirror his favoured fielding position of backward point.

Unlike most on here he was quiet and kept many opinions to himself. A simple shake of the head was his usual method of showing disgust of a home defeat or a dropped catch. I amongst many had the pleasure of sharing both passions wth him.

Colin’s funeral will be at Hope church on Friday the 5th of July at 1 p.m followed by the crematorium at 2-30. Hopefully many fellow Wrexham fans and ex team mates will join us to pass our respects.

I know many of you who knew Colin are spread far and wide but hopefully this message will get to you. PM me if you need any more details.

If you can’t make it please make a small donation to NEWSAR who took part in the search for Colin.

Thanks

Phil
Old 26th June 2019, 20.10:15   #2-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: RIP Colin Purton

Goodness me that's so sad. Condolences to the family. I cycled that exact route the evening before he was found.
I'll drop you a PM as I know of the excellent work that NEWSAR do and I'd like to contribute.
Cheers
Paul
Old 27th June 2019, 06.32:05   #3-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Thanks for the feedback and the donation. We all hope that we never need such services but are very grateful that they exist when we do.

Colin spent much of his retirement walking in the areas where NEWSAR looked for him.
Old 27th June 2019, 19.54:51   #4-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Such sad news. I had the immense pleasure of playing with Colin for the Castell Alun Sunday Friendly team in the early 90's. Colin was captain and a stickler for the traditions of the game, correct attire, sportsmanship, poliiteness etc - really old school. A real gent who was loved by all who met him. However, nobody is perfect. Due to his deafness it was bloody difficult to be at the wicket with him. If you shouted wait he couldn't hear you and decided off his ownback if there was a run - As he was captain it was you who had to walk if he mis-judged it.

Sadly, I will not be at St Cynfarchs due to my location but at the appropriate time I shall offer up a prayer for a lovely man who added something to my life and that of many others
Old 27th June 2019, 21.59:57   #5-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

RIP Colin... didn’t know you, but always sad to hear of a fellow Wrexham fan passing.
Old 5th July 2019, 11.33:52   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

O Captain My Captain. RIP Silver Fox.

Unfortunately I can't make it today but I hope he gets a massive CACC send off.

We struck up a great friendship in the early 90s when I was straight out of Uni. Colin was an eccentric, slightly bohemian guy in his late 50s who lived for cricket and watching Wrexham. Despite a near 30 year age difference we were kindred spirits who got on like a house on fire.

Looking back he did treat me like the son he never had. He celebrated my first 50 more than I did writing the immortal lines "Fiery starts to burn" in the scorebook alongside my name. I think we drank the Red Lion in Hope dry that evening.

As he didn't drive I'd pick him up on the way to games all over North Wales, he'd sink a few and I'd drive/carry him home whilst he slept it off on the back seat before giving me £5 or £10 to split the petrol. Great times.

RIP Captain.
Old 5th July 2019, 12.51:27   #7-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexy View Post
O Captain My Captain. RIP Silver Fox.

Unfortunately I can't make it today but I hope he gets a massive CACC send off.

We struck up a great friendship in the early 90s when I was straight out of Uni. Colin was an eccentric, slightly bohemian guy in his late 50s who lived for cricket and watching Wrexham. Despite a near 30 year age difference we were kindred spirits who got on like a house on fire.

Looking back he did treat me like the son he never had. He celebrated my first 50 more than I did writing the immortal lines "Fiery starts to burn" in the scorebook alongside my name. I think we drank the Red Lion in Hope dry that evening.

As he didn't drive I'd pick him up on the way to games all over North Wales, he'd sink a few and I'd drive/carry him home whilst he slept it off on the back seat before giving me £5 or £10 to split the petrol. Great times.

RIP Captain.
Nice memories, thanks for sharing.

I must have played against you both at some time. Always sad to lose a decent cricketer and fellow Wrexham fan. RIP Colin.
Old 5th July 2019, 13.00:08   #8-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

I didn't know him but he sounds like he was a really nice man.

RIP to a sad loss of one our Wrexham supporting brothers.
Posted via mobile theme

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 03.48:58.