Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.01:18   #10-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: What Style does it take to get Promoted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawarden Red10 View Post
I disagree, we barely created any chances, let alone missed any
Yes I think we've lacked creativity for a few seasons, Boden is living proof I believe. He scored 20 last season because he had the chances to. I think we have upgraded the guns this summer but are still a little short on ammo. I think Redmond will supply some but we still need a pacey right back who can cross the ball and that holding midfielder to help keep our defence solid. Add a Walker and an Obeng (not the actual ones) and I think we'd be stronger title contenders.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.12:46   #11-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Width and pace. Both of which were lacking last season.

We hardly created any chances last season due to the fact we’d just hoof the ball up the pitch.

I’m still concerned that we lack a midfield general.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.18:05   #12-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: KOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post
No the play offs have to be the minimum, with top 3 the target and strongly challenging for top spot. Fans will only be happy if we get promotion but the plan for this season has to be build on our improved showing last season and add a bit more quality going forward, scoring a few more goals that might just be enough to get us those extra points required.

Good, attractive football would be enjoyable and good to watch, but everyone wants and expects Wxm gain promotion from the NL so league standing is the biggest factor.
Just a small but important point. For WFC in the fifth tier, the target should not be anything less than top. Top 3 is marginal underperformance versus target, play offs is barely acceptable underperformance. Below play offs is totally unacceptable, irrespective of who owns the club. A low target generally leads to lower expectation and performance standards resulting in lower delivery.

For me, good football and promotion are not mutually exclusive. The best sides in most leagues are usually more than able to look after themselves when needed as well as being able to play a bit.

I agree with much of your post but clarity on requirement versus achieved outcomes is vital for success in any endeavour.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.51:05   #13-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Let’s face it, this more pragmatic approach has yielded better seasons. Under keates we were fully set for a playoff position at the very least until he left. Last season resulted in our best finish for years.

As long as we’re winning or doing well in the league, the stats suggest the fans aren’t fussed about style. We just want a successful team.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.59:45   #14-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEBadass View Post
There was nothing wrong with last years style of play if we would have had genuine strikers who could score goals. I enjoy watching a good defence - it was just the finishing that let us down.
The last two seasons the football has been pathetic.Without our captain I would hate to think how far down the division we would have ended up,just hope we do not sell him after we have sold our 2000 season tickets.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.01:23   #15-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
Let’s face it, this more pragmatic approach has yielded better seasons. Under keates we were fully set for a playoff position at the very least until he left. Last season resulted in our best finish for years.

As long as we’re winning or doing well in the league, the stats suggest the fans aren’t fussed about style. We just want a successful team.
It has but you could also say that getting the defence and keeper sorted played a large part of having better seasons.

Its the home games which drove you to despair last season, a complete lack of urgency and attacking threat in far too many games. This keep it tight and hope to nick a goal is probably best left to tough away games. Not at home against some of the dross of the league. There is no doubt that we have to have more to our game than lumping it aimlessly forward, as we've been doing for a while now.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.03:13   #16-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Anywhere I can get a ticket

Solid defence, midfielders who can move the ball with pace and strikers who convert their chances.

Our home performances may have 'driven people to despair' but we had the best home record of the national league. The balance between creating football that's nice to watch vs grinding out results will be tricky one for Bryan Hughes.

Last edited by podders; 3rd July 2019 at 09.05:44..
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.06:00   #17-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREX01 View Post
Width and pace. Both of which were lacking last season.

We hardly created any chances last season due to the fact we’d just hoof the ball up the pitch.

I’m still concerned that we lack a midfield general.
Posted via mobile theme
Yes that midfield general who we have missed for many seasons,the nearest we have got is Summerfield but he goes missing for 45 minutes,does not have a tackle in him.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.08:08   #18-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

our budget is directed more at the defence than attack. I don’t know what players earn but I’d be surprised if any attackers are earning more than Smith and Pearson.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.31:16.