Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.12:46   #11-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: What Style does it take to get Promoted ?

Width and pace. Both of which were lacking last season.

We hardly created any chances last season due to the fact wed just hoof the ball up the pitch.

Im still concerned that we lack a midfield general.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.18:05   #12-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: On my backside usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post
No the play offs have to be the minimum, with top 3 the target and strongly challenging for top spot. Fans will only be happy if we get promotion but the plan for this season has to be build on our improved showing last season and add a bit more quality going forward, scoring a few more goals that might just be enough to get us those extra points required.

Good, attractive football would be enjoyable and good to watch, but everyone wants and expects Wxm gain promotion from the NL so league standing is the biggest factor.
Just a small but important point. For WFC in the fifth tier, the target should not be anything less than top. Top 3 is marginal underperformance versus target, play offs is barely acceptable underperformance. Below play offs is totally unacceptable, irrespective of who owns the club. A low target generally leads to lower expectation and performance standards resulting in lower delivery.

For me, good football and promotion are not mutually exclusive. The best sides in most leagues are usually more than able to look after themselves when needed as well as being able to play a bit.

I agree with much of your post but clarity on requirement versus achieved outcomes is vital for success in any endeavour.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.51:05   #13-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Let’s face it, this more pragmatic approach has yielded better seasons. Under keates we were fully set for a playoff position at the very least until he left. Last season resulted in our best finish for years.

As long as we’re winning or doing well in the league, the stats suggest the fans aren’t fussed about style. We just want a successful team.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08.59:45   #14-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEBadass View Post
There was nothing wrong with last years style of play if we would have had genuine strikers who could score goals. I enjoy watching a good defence - it was just the finishing that let us down.
The last two seasons the football has been pathetic.Without our captain I would hate to think how far down the division we would have ended up,just hope we do not sell him after we have sold our 2000 season tickets.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.01:23   #15-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
Lets face it, this more pragmatic approach has yielded better seasons. Under keates we were fully set for a playoff position at the very least until he left. Last season resulted in our best finish for years.

As long as were winning or doing well in the league, the stats suggest the fans arent fussed about style. We just want a successful team.
It has but you could also say that getting the defence and keeper sorted played a large part of having better seasons.

Its the home games which drove you to despair last season, a complete lack of urgency and attacking threat in far too many games. This keep it tight and hope to nick a goal is probably best left to tough away games. Not at home against some of the dross of the league. There is no doubt that we have to have more to our game than lumping it aimlessly forward, as we've been doing for a while now.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.03:13   #16-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: ERS
Twitter: @podders1981

Solid defence, midfielders who can move the ball with pace and strikers who convert their chances.

Our home performances may have 'driven people to despair' but we had the best home record of the national league. The balance between creating football that's nice to watch vs grinding out results will be tricky one for Bryan Hughes.

Last edited by podders; 3rd July 2019 at 09.05:44..
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.06:00   #17-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREX01 View Post
Width and pace. Both of which were lacking last season.

We hardly created any chances last season due to the fact wed just hoof the ball up the pitch.

Im still concerned that we lack a midfield general.
Posted via mobile theme
Yes that midfield general who we have missed for many seasons,the nearest we have got is Summerfield but he goes missing for 45 minutes,does not have a tackle in him.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.08:08   #18-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

our budget is directed more at the defence than attack. I don’t know what players earn but I’d be surprised if any attackers are earning more than Smith and Pearson.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.11:50   #19-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
our budget is directed more at the defence than attack. I dont know what players earn but Id be surprised if any attackers are earning more than Smith and Pearson.
If this is the case (I'd tend to agree it is) then it needs to be addressed because ultimately its not working.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09.17:58   #20-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
our budget is directed more at the defence than attack. I don’t know what players earn but I’d be surprised if any attackers are earning more than Smith and Pearson.
I’d be amazed if Grant was on less than Manny.

Ultimately though, we need to make better use of the width the racecourse affords us. You can see from the match against Druids that Hughes is looking to exploit the wings more than last season, particularly with overlapping full backs.

I’d still be wary about playing like that away from home against some of the better teams though as I’m not convinced Jennings has the energy to get up and down and while Jazzi looked great going forward, I’d like to see what he can do defensively first

Last edited by BP Red; 3rd July 2019 at 09.22:46..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 15.48:01.