RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Scott butler (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114161-scott-butler.html)

Junior Shabadoo 15th July 2019 21.25:35

Re: Scott butler

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2274331]That would seem a short-sighted/short-term/untenable move since our overriding aim is to get back into the EFL. I can see why it would work for Colwyn Bay and for Merthyr as they have no hope of ever playing in the EFL. I can’t see how it would work for us.[/QUOTE]

By the post immediately above yours. And even if not, the club has wasted years with no youth plan at all beyond “we’ll sort it out when we go up”, as if that’s inevitable. Switching seems more sensible than that.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 15th July 2019 21.28:35

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2274331]That would seem a short-sighted/short-term/untenable move since our overriding aim is to get back into the EFL. I can see why it would work for Colwyn Bay and for Merthyr as they have no hope of ever playing in the EFL. I can’t see how it would work for us.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand we don't even meet the criteria currently to be accepted as a category club to play in the EFL. It's a big ask sorting that all out I time, especially if we go up via the play offs.

It's none of those you mention, looking to get the best deals for ourselves and retaining where possible the lads with a future in professional football is longterm thinking.

It'll take years to get things right again once promoted to stop the rot.

Todd Sweeney 15th July 2019 21.34:14

[QUOTE=Junior Shabadoo;2274334]By the post immediately above yours. And even if not, the club has wasted years with no youth plan at all beyond “we’ll sort it out when we go up”, as if that’s inevitable. Switching seems more sensible than that.[/QUOTE]

What advantage does joining the likes of Afan Lido and Cambrian and Clydach have for us? Is it that we’d get better transfer fees and/or funding? I don’t know the ins and outs to be honest. Is there nothing we’d lose out on and are there no costs involved to us?

It doesn’t seem to me on the surface that it would be worth much time or investment for something hopefully temporary, and in my view any move in general away from the English professional leagues to the Welsh semi-professional set up is not one I’m instinctively drawn to.

Can you explain the details?

As for the 12 years thing - I thought the rules on EFL clubs being able to take youth players from non-league clubs for free were only changed fairly recently - no?

Junior Shabadoo 15th July 2019 21.44:04

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2274341]What advantage does joining the likes of Afan Lido and Cambrian and Clydach have for us? Is it that we’d get better transfer fees and/or funding? I don’t know the ins and outs to be honest. Is there nothing we’d lose out on and are there no costs involved to us?

It doesn’t seem to me on the surface that it would be worth much time or investment for something hopefully temporary, and in my view any move in general away from the English professional leagues to the Welsh semi-professional set up is not one I’m instinctively drawn to.

As for the 12 years thing - I thought the rules on EFL clubs being able to take youth players from non-league clubs for free were only changed fairly recently - no?[/QUOTE]

The point is there is no investment now, but a switch would bring some into the club. If, as detailed above, you can switch back then we’re essentially sitting around waiting because of being too snooty to mix with the likes of Afan Lido because we can do better - despite continually failing to do so. And while we do so the system rots further. Seeing as everything else the club does is low risk you have to wonder why the reverse is true with the youth system as every year of zero investment makes it harder to succeed.

Todd Sweeney 15th July 2019 21.45:50

[QUOTE=Junior Shabadoo;2274344]The point is there is no investment now, but a switch would bring some into the club. If, as detailed above, you can switch back then we’re essentially sitting around waiting because of being too snooty to mix with the likes of Afan Lido because we can do better - despite continually failing to do so. And while we do so the system rots further. Seeing as everything else the club does is low risk you have to wonder why the reverse is true with the youth system as every year of zero investment makes it harder to succeed.[/QUOTE]

What investment would it bring?

Bigmike 15th July 2019 21.53:30

The premier league clubs are always watching games involving the development teams of smaller clubs. We have lost lads as young as 13/14 and I don't think we got anything to compensate us. EDIT I have just read through the thread and there is some good well informed discussion therein. I therefore should add my involvement at the club was some time ago. I made the assumption that things are still the same.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 15th July 2019 21.58:27

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2274341]What advantage does joining the likes of Afan Lido and Cambrian and Clydach have for us? Is it that we’d get better transfer fees and/or funding? I don’t know the ins and outs to be honest. Is there nothing we’d lose out on and are there no costs involved to us?

As for the 12 years thing - I thought the rules on EFL clubs being able to take youth players from non-league clubs for free were only changed fairly recently - no?[/QUOTE]

Lads playing in a defined structure, gauranteed games on a given date, no 'Llay might play us Saturday' The Fifa protections would be greater than those in the EFL, one age group can be had for £4,000 in compensation to a maximum of £40,000 at 16. We'd get more as some of these lads would not be allowed to transfer until at least 16 under more stringent FIFA rules.

We don't currently meet the status for EFL anyway, we have to employ at least academy secretary on a part time contract as well as all sorts of other things. No way that gets all done in summer, I bet the current board don't have a clue let alone a plan in place. Even the things we could do now like the requirement for a clearly defined plan, mission statement whatever you want to call it doesn't seem to exist.

Todd Sweeney 15th July 2019 22.01:15

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2274345]What investment would it bring?[/QUOTE]

To answer my own question, there is no academy funding available for non-WPL clubs who participate in the FAW academy system.

“Is there any funding for Academies?

Only top-division clubs are able to benefit from the UEFA Champions League Solidarity Grant, which is distributed subject to meeting the Audit requirements. At its discretion, the FAW will consider Parachute Payments for relegated Welsh Premier League clubs in their first season of relegation. All other academies must be self- sufficient.”

[url]https://www.wpl.cymru/uploads/documents/originals/Academy%20Regulations%202018-19%20-Accredited.pdf#page20[/url]

Todd Sweeney 15th July 2019 22.23:14

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2274348]Lads playing in a defined structure, gauranteed games on a given date, no 'Llay might play us Saturday' The Fifa protections would be greater than those in the EFL, one age group can be had for £4,000 in compensation to a maximum of £40,000 at 16. We'd get more as some of these lads would not be allowed to transfer until at least 16 under more stringent FIFA rules.

We don't currently meet the status for EFL anyway, we have to employ at least academy secretary on a part time contract as well as all sorts of other things. No way that gets all done in summer, I bet the current board don't have a clue let alone a plan in place. Even the things we could do now like the requirement for a clearly defined plan, mission statement whatever you want to call it doesn't seem to exist.[/QUOTE]

FIFA rules don’t apply to the EFL?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.21:04.