Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th July 2019, 21.25:35   #28-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Scott butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sweeney View Post
That would seem a short-sighted/short-term/untenable move since our overriding aim is to get back into the EFL. I can see why it would work for Colwyn Bay and for Merthyr as they have no hope of ever playing in the EFL. I can’t see how it would work for us.
By the post immediately above yours. And even if not, the club has wasted years with no youth plan at all beyond “we’ll sort it out when we go up”, as if that’s inevitable. Switching seems more sensible than that.

Last edited by Junior Shabadoo; 15th July 2019 at 21.26:39..
Old 15th July 2019, 21.28:35   #29-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
That would seem a short-sighted/short-term/untenable move since our overriding aim is to get back into the EFL. I can see why it would work for Colwyn Bay and for Merthyr as they have no hope of ever playing in the EFL. I can’t see how it would work for us.
From what I understand we don't even meet the criteria currently to be accepted as a category club to play in the EFL. It's a big ask sorting that all out I time, especially if we go up via the play offs.

It's none of those you mention, looking to get the best deals for ourselves and retaining where possible the lads with a future in professional football is longterm thinking.

It'll take years to get things right again once promoted to stop the rot.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo; 15th July 2019 at 21.30:22..
Old 15th July 2019, 21.34:14   #30-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
By the post immediately above yours. And even if not, the club has wasted years with no youth plan at all beyond “we’ll sort it out when we go up”, as if that’s inevitable. Switching seems more sensible than that.
What advantage does joining the likes of Afan Lido and Cambrian and Clydach have for us? Is it that we’d get better transfer fees and/or funding? I don’t know the ins and outs to be honest. Is there nothing we’d lose out on and are there no costs involved to us?

It doesn’t seem to me on the surface that it would be worth much time or investment for something hopefully temporary, and in my view any move in general away from the English professional leagues to the Welsh semi-professional set up is not one I’m instinctively drawn to.

Can you explain the details?

As for the 12 years thing - I thought the rules on EFL clubs being able to take youth players from non-league clubs for free were only changed fairly recently - no?
Old 15th July 2019, 21.44:04   #31-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
What advantage does joining the likes of Afan Lido and Cambrian and Clydach have for us? Is it that we’d get better transfer fees and/or funding? I don’t know the ins and outs to be honest. Is there nothing we’d lose out on and are there no costs involved to us?

It doesn’t seem to me on the surface that it would be worth much time or investment for something hopefully temporary, and in my view any move in general away from the English professional leagues to the Welsh semi-professional set up is not one I’m instinctively drawn to.

As for the 12 years thing - I thought the rules on EFL clubs being able to take youth players from non-league clubs for free were only changed fairly recently - no?
The point is there is no investment now, but a switch would bring some into the club. If, as detailed above, you can switch back then we’re essentially sitting around waiting because of being too snooty to mix with the likes of Afan Lido because we can do better - despite continually failing to do so. And while we do so the system rots further. Seeing as everything else the club does is low risk you have to wonder why the reverse is true with the youth system as every year of zero investment makes it harder to succeed.
Old 15th July 2019, 21.45:50   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
The point is there is no investment now, but a switch would bring some into the club. If, as detailed above, you can switch back then we’re essentially sitting around waiting because of being too snooty to mix with the likes of Afan Lido because we can do better - despite continually failing to do so. And while we do so the system rots further. Seeing as everything else the club does is low risk you have to wonder why the reverse is true with the youth system as every year of zero investment makes it harder to succeed.
What investment would it bring?
Old 15th July 2019, 21.53:30   #33-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

The premier league clubs are always watching games involving the development teams of smaller clubs. We have lost lads as young as 13/14 and I don't think we got anything to compensate us. EDIT I have just read through the thread and there is some good well informed discussion therein. I therefore should add my involvement at the club was some time ago. I made the assumption that things are still the same.

Last edited by Bigmike; 15th July 2019 at 22.01:45..
Old 15th July 2019, 21.58:27   #34-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:

Lads playing in a defined structure, gauranteed games on a given date, no 'Llay might play us Saturday' The Fifa protections would be greater than those in the EFL, one age group can be had for £4,000 in compensation to a maximum of £40,000 at 16. We'd get more as some of these lads would not be allowed to transfer until at least 16 under more stringent FIFA rules.

We don't currently meet the status for EFL anyway, we have to employ at least academy secretary on a part time contract as well as all sorts of other things. No way that gets all done in summer, I bet the current board don't have a clue let alone a plan in place. Even the things we could do now like the requirement for a clearly defined plan, mission statement whatever you want to call it doesn't seem to exist.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo; 15th July 2019 at 22.00:11..
Old 15th July 2019, 22.01:15   #35-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
What investment would it bring?
To answer my own question, there is no academy funding available for non-WPL clubs who participate in the FAW academy system.

“Is there any funding for Academies?

Only top-division clubs are able to benefit from the UEFA Champions League Solidarity Grant, which is distributed subject to meeting the Audit requirements. At its discretion, the FAW will consider Parachute Payments for relegated Welsh Premier League clubs in their first season of relegation. All other academies must be self- sufficient.”

https://www.wpl.cymru/uploads/docume...ted.pdf#page20
Old 15th July 2019, 22.23:14   #36-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo View Post
Lads playing in a defined structure, gauranteed games on a given date, no 'Llay might play us Saturday' The Fifa protections would be greater than those in the EFL, one age group can be had for £4,000 in compensation to a maximum of £40,000 at 16. We'd get more as some of these lads would not be allowed to transfer until at least 16 under more stringent FIFA rules.

We don't currently meet the status for EFL anyway, we have to employ at least academy secretary on a part time contract as well as all sorts of other things. No way that gets all done in summer, I bet the current board don't have a clue let alone a plan in place. Even the things we could do now like the requirement for a clearly defined plan, mission statement whatever you want to call it doesn't seem to exist.
FIFA rules don’t apply to the EFL?
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.35:49.