RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Notts Count game, things to do in Nottingham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114250-notts-count-game-things-do-nottingham.html)

redtalk 31st July 2019 12.10:11

Notts Count game, things to do in Nottingham

Thinking of making a weekend of it in Nottingham, for the Notts County game.

Can anyone recommend things to do in Nottingham on the Saturday?, such as museums etc and of course some recommendations for decent pubs

Wi9ll be staying in the city centre.

Thanks in advance!

dixienormous 31st July 2019 12.12:41

Re: Notts Count game, things to do in Nottingham

[QUOTE=redtalk;2277577]Thinking of making a weekend of it in Nottingham, for the Notts County game.

Can anyone recommend things to do in Nottingham on the Saturday?, such as museums etc and of course some recommendations for decent pubs

Wi9ll be staying in the city centre.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Be careful where you park! My car was stolen never to be seen again when we last played at their place, the car park even had bastard stewards!

WasanActonlad 31st July 2019 12.16:14

If staying night,
are you going on the pull....?
Doesn't Nottingham have the biggest ratio of women to men in the country....

moynkeepthefaith 31st July 2019 12.55:22

Ye Olde Jerusalem Trip in the castle walls. Cracking Pint and not a bad pie as well.

RED2309 31st July 2019 13.13:19

Nottingham Forest v Birmingham 3pm kick off Saturday 17/08!:)

Alan Attack 31st July 2019 13.21:13

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2277579]Be careful where you park! My car was stolen never to be seen again when we last played at their place, the car park even had bastard stewards![/QUOTE]

No one gives a Friar.

andy buckley 31st July 2019 13.32:00

Only one place to go Hooters

krux 31st July 2019 13.32:02

[QUOTE=WasanActonlad;2277581]If staying night,
are you going on the pull....?
Doesn't Nottingham have the biggest ratio of women to men in the country....[/QUOTE]

I thought that was an urban myth, based on post war statistics. So all those old spinsters will be long gone....

Happy to be proved wrong though!
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

RED2309 31st July 2019 13.44:35

Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki
Anyone want to buy some cheap never been worn Next clothes? Half price to Wrexham fans.

(Response from NottsRed)
Nah I just go to the Dog & Partridge in Nottingham City centre. Everything available at a great discount and it arrives in the pub within 30 minutes to order!!!!!

NottsRed 31st July 2019 13.51:20

Hooters
Galleries Of Justice
Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem
Rock City
Wollaton Hall

Some really decent food places depending on what you like.

As for parking on the Sunday avoid the Meadows area. Try and park West Bridgeford way.

As for the three to one ladies ratio the students aren't here at the moment

Bushfield Stand 31st July 2019 13.52:05

If there's a group of you then you could give this a go.

[url]https://www.freedomltd.com/nottingham-stag-activities/electric-shock-football/[/url]

Can't think of anything worse myself but a mate of mine went a couple of weeks back on a stag weekend and said it was a brilliant laugh 😳

dixienormous 31st July 2019 13.54:33

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2277605]No one gives a Friar.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me Alan?

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 31st July 2019 14.20:25

If you like history, you could always take a 15 minute train to Leicester to see the Richard III exhibition in the museum. Rather fascinating.

joe 31st July 2019 14.32:30

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2277579]Be careful where you park! My car was stolen never to be seen again when we last played at their place, the car park even had bastard stewards![/QUOTE]

How did you get home?

Red Light 31st July 2019 14.33:01

[QUOTE=andy buckley;2277606]Only one place to go Hooters[/QUOTE]

Why do the women who work there have to wear garments which have clearly been purchased from mother care and are far too small and tight - it shouldn't be allowed !

Failing that, take your fishing rod - trot a bronze caster under a stick float down the River Trent for a roach or chub - and forget about the football.

Stewards at Meadow Lane never had a good reputation with away supporters - be warned.

Alan Attack 31st July 2019 15.00:36

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2277615]Excuse me Alan?[/QUOTE]

Having a laugh, old boy.

stevie focks 31st July 2019 15.24:53

[QUOTE=krux;2277607]I thought that was an urban myth, based on post war statistics. So all those old spinsters will be long gone....

[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

It isn’t a myth.Its a clunge fest down there.

tokyored 31st July 2019 15.40:01

[QUOTE=krux;2277607]I thought that was an urban myth, based on post war statistics. So all those old spinsters will be long gone....

You're correct, it's a myth that's lasted since after the war when it was true for a few years. Last census had more men than women.

Lesjonno 31st July 2019 15.46:48

Forest v Birmingham?
Castle museum
Trip to Jerusalem pub ( when they say “duck” they are addressing you not telling you to get your head down although the roof beams are pretty low )

Sussex Red 31st July 2019 16.05:29

I'd search every bar until I find the lovely Notts lass Vicky Mclure....
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

dixienormous 31st July 2019 16.26:31

[QUOTE=joe;2277623]How did you get home?[/QUOTE]

Tried to get on the team bus only for Sir Les Evans to tell us it was full?!! Luckily a mate of mine had room for three and another mate had room for two. I’m still recovering from that night because I had all my original music albums in the car,my dads car I might add!

We lost 1-0, August05

Redordead 31st July 2019 16.33:40

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2277659]Tried to get on the team bus only for Sir Les Evans to tell us it was full?!! Luckily a mate of mine had room for three and another mate had room for two. I’m still recovering from that night because I had all my original music albums in the car,my dads car I might add!

We lost 1-0, August05[/QUOTE]

Was it Bayliss last minute own goal?

dixienormous 31st July 2019 16.36:14

[QUOTE=Redordead;2277660]Was it Bayliss last minute own goal?[/QUOTE]

It was a last minute goal but I can’t remember it!

Eastsidedevil 31st July 2019 16.43:49

Nottingham panthers are playing cardiff devils in an ice hockey pre season game on the Saturday night. As a cardiff devils season ticket holder I can recommend ice hockey as a good night out. Face off 7pm

KingConnolly 31st July 2019 16.48:00

[QUOTE=andy buckley;2277606]Only one place to go Hooters[/QUOTE]

Only one in Britain and right opposite the ground!! 😄

KingConnolly 31st July 2019 16.49:28

My advice, particularly if you are taking a lady friend is to head to. West Bridgford. Lovely place a good real ale pub and great bars. 10 min walk to the ground ��

NottsRed 31st July 2019 19.34:52

[QUOTE=Sussex Red;2277653]I'd search every bar until I find the lovely Notts lass Vicky Mclure....

I can tell you exactly where she lives.

Good chance she will probably be at the match, Manager i work with knows her quite well and he often has a chat with her at the matches.

dolly dagger 31st July 2019 21.08:39

[QUOTE=tokyored;2277648]You're correct, it's a myth that's lasted since after the war when it was true for a few years. Last census had more men than women.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely a myth.

In the 19th century Nottingham was the centre of the lace industry. The lace work was sub contracted out to the skilled women and daughters of the surrounding villages. This was purely value added work (good lace work could double the value of a garment) and they were paid accordingly.

The result was that the lasses in Nottingham could easily outspend the lads (women didn't even have the vote at this time) which led to them acquiring a reputation for feistiness, independence and fun.

It sticks to this day.

Prodigal Dragon 1st August 2019 08.45:29

[url]https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk[/url]

Good pub with excellent beers. Worth a visit.

Vorporix 1st August 2019 10.29:25

A few in 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem' and there is a fantastic West Indian restaurant in the centre......

Prodigal Dragon 1st August 2019 14.21:06

[QUOTE=Vorporix;2277773]A few in 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem' and there is a fantastic West Indian restaurant in the centre......[/QUOTE]

Great pub if you like good beer and a different atmosphere.

NottsRed 1st August 2019 20.41:39

[QUOTE=Vorporix;2277773]A few in 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem' and there is a fantastic West Indian restaurant in the centre......[/QUOTE]

What the west indian place called???

Recommend The Calcutta club for a decent curry, Zzap Thai Street Food, CoCo Tang for Vietnamese street food and Reds Barbecue for BBQ stuff (If you go to Reds you will be drinking like a fish after, nice but well salty)

Vorporix 3rd August 2019 08.54:22

[QUOTE=NottsRed;2277867]What the west indian place called???

Recommend The Calcutta club for a decent curry, Zzap Thai Street Food, CoCo Tang for Vietnamese street food and Reds Barbecue for BBQ stuff (If you go to Reds you will be drinking like a fish after, nice but well salty)[/QUOTE]

Can't remember the name NR but it is a rather large restaurant pretty much in the centre.........food was excellent.....

Brinster 5th August 2019 10.45:19

Got my train tickets to Nottingham and after a little bit of research have decided on the Vat and Fiddle and the Trent Navigation, 2 real ale brewery taps, for my liquid refreshment. Any one experienced a visit to either of them?

Wirral Red 5th August 2019 19.51:04

Anyone know if it's far to the station?
Good train back to Liverpool 17.39.

Red Light 5th August 2019 20.20:43

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2278900]Anyone know if it's far to the station?
Good train back to Liverpool 17.39.[/QUOTE]

Railway station just a short walk down the road from the stadium - google / streetview it to get your bearings in advance.

Wirral Red 5th August 2019 20.30:54

[QUOTE=Red Light;2278907]Railway station just a short walk down the road from the stadium - google / streetview it to get your bearings in advance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that

Red Light 5th August 2019 20.59:39

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2278913]Thanks for that[/QUOTE]

Just had a quick look to settle my curiosity.

As I remember it - come out of the ground and turn north / right onto London Road (A60) - your going in the opposite direction to the River Trent (Forest's Ground & Trent Bridge cricket ground are just over the river a stone throw away).

A short walk along London Road and turn left into Queens Road - the railway station is pretty massive on your right side of the carriageway - entrance down the bottom end - I remember there is a pub close to the railway station entrance (unless it's closed but can't remember it's name)

To get to the railway station you will have to pass the legendary Hooters Bar on the corner of Queens Road.

Should take less than a 10 minutes from the ground.

mold road trendy 6th August 2019 07.54:11

I think we will take 1800 here, if we win 2 of our next 3 games

y mochyn coch 6th August 2019 08.38:29

There's a nice pub on the river Brewhouse & Kitchen but is a cool place and a nice big beer garden overlooking the river

this might help

[url]https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/food-drink/nottingham-by-river-canal-pubs-1730454[/url]

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.08:05.