Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th August 2019, 05.34:22   #1-0 (permalink)
Arc
Trialist

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default 2 x full-length matches v Burnley from the 88/89 season

Hello! Promising start to the new season, eh?

Right, nostalgia time ... !

At some point in the early 2000s I came across a website selling DVD-Rs of full-length football matches from the 80s/90s that had been recorded at various grounds across the North West (and in this case, North Wales).

Two Wrexham games were available: both league matches against Burnley during the 88/89 season. I was really pleased to acquire the DVDs - not only were Wrexham victorious on each occasion, but I actually attended the 4-2 home match at the Racecourse in March '89 - so watching the second disc was a nice little trip down memory lane! Furthermore, I actually ended up working with Neil Grewcock in the early-mid 2000s (scorer of Burnley's first) and boy was he pleased to see his goal!

Anyway, I thought it would only be polite to share the recordings here, so hopefully they will be of interest to some of you, particularly any older heads! I've embedded the Youtube links below, but if anybody would like me to upload copies of the original DVD files (which should be higher quality than if you were to download from Youtube directly) then please holler and I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy!

Burnley FC 1 - Wrexham AFC 3 (26 Dec 1988)

Wrexham AFC 4 Burnley FC 2 (27 Mar 1989)
Old 4th August 2019, 06.33:41   #2-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: used to be the kop.

Default Re: 2 x full-length matches v Burnley from the 88/89 season

Wow, great find! Thanks for these.
Old 4th August 2019, 06.34:48   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

The passage of 30 years -where did it go ?

Remember the home game - legendary winger Leighton James was a sub for Burnley - watched him warming up infront of the Yale Stand.

Who was the PA match day announcer at the time ? the best we have ever had - clear as crystal and a lovely listening voice.

The match at Turf Moor shows us in what I consider our best away kit ever - all green with yellow trim & numbering.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 4th August 2019, 08.22:27   #4-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Great to see standing in the paddock and the uni end. I'll never understand why we seated those areas.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 4th August 2019, 08.59:34   #5-0 (permalink)
Legend

what a day ,the furthest i had ever been on my own in a car , no tax no mot no license, no satnav ,thought Geoff Hunter was brill that day,we were shoved in the corner under cover tho
Old 4th August 2019, 09.06:06   #6-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

Brilliant videos from a great season, loved that season as 16 year old. We beat Chester that season who were a league above us at the time in the sherpa van trophy, now if anybody had the goals from that game it would be christmas come early for me!
Old 4th August 2019, 10.17:30   #7-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeside Red View Post
Brilliant videos from a great season, loved that season as 16 year old. We beat Chester that season who were a league above us at the time in the sherpa van trophy, now if anybody had the goals from that game it would be christmas come early for me!
That season was very memorable.

I too was at the old Sealand Road ground for that Sherpa Van Trophy tie.
It was played on the evening of 21 December 1988 - attendance 3,887.
It was a lovely still clear night under floodlight with the Wrexham masses banked up behind the away goal on an uncovered terrace.

We won 1 - 2 - from memory I think we went two goals up before half time with the goals being scored infront of our supporters - one was a diving header from Roger Preece - I can't recall who got the other.

This game was staged on the same night as the Lockerbie disaster.

When we won the league match a few days later at Burnley I think we were top of the league and going great but in the closing weeks of the season we hit a massive loss of form and only scraped into the last play off place (7th) on the final day of the league programme. We beat Scunthorpe United in the play off semi then played Leyton Orient over two legs in the final drawing the first home leg 0 - 0 before losing at Brisbane Road 2 - 1 - a heart breaking end to a season that had shown so much promise.
Old 4th August 2019, 11.40:32   #8-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
That season was very memorable.

I too was at the old Sealand Road ground for that Sherpa Van Trophy tie.
It was played on the evening of 21 December 1988 - attendance 3,887.
It was a lovely still clear night under floodlight with the Wrexham masses banked up behind the away goal on an uncovered terrace.

We won 1 - 2 - from memory I think we went two goals up before half time with the goals being scored infront of our supporters - one was a diving header from Roger Preece - I can't recall who got the other.

This game was staged on the same night as the Lockerbie disaster.

When we won the league match a few days later at Burnley I think we were top of the league and going great but in the closing weeks of the season we hit a massive loss of form and only scraped into the last play off place (7th) on the final day of the league programme. We beat Ssilly billyhorpe United in the play off semi then played Leyton Orient over two legs in the final drawing the first home leg 0 - 0 before losing at Brisbane Road 2 - 1 - a heart breaking end to a season that had shown so much promise.
John the animal Bowden got the other goal
Old 4th August 2019, 12.24:02   #9-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: ERS - Im a Stander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Hello! Promising start to the new season, eh?

Right, nostalgia time ... !

At some point in the early 2000s I came across a website selling DVD-Rs of full-length football matches from the 80s/90s that had been recorded at various grounds across the North West (and in this case, North Wales).

Two Wrexham games were available: both league matches against Burnley during the 88/89 season. I was really pleased to acquire the DVDs - not only were Wrexham victorious on each occasion, but I actually attended the 4-2 home match at the Racecourse in March '89 - so watching the second disc was a nice little trip down memory lane! Furthermore, I actually ended up working with Neil Grewcock in the early-mid 2000s (scorer of Burnley's first) and boy was he pleased to see his goal!

Anyway, I thought it would only be polite to share the recordings here, so hopefully they will be of interest to some of you, particularly any older heads! I've embedded the Youtube links below, but if anybody would like me to upload copies of the original DVD files (which should be higher quality than if you were to download from Youtube directly) then please holler and I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy!

Burnley FC 1 - Wrexham AFC 3 (26 Dec 1988)

Wrexham AFC 4 Burnley FC 2 (27 Mar 1989)
This is brilliant. The Burnley home game was my first ever Wrexham game, standing on the kop as an 8 year old.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.55:46.