RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Like for Like Stats - 2019/20 (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114275-like-like-stats-2019-20-a.html)

draigwrecsam 5th August 2019 14.44:44

Like for Like Stats - 2019/20

4 Attachment(s)
Here we go again. A few minor tweaks, nothing major, mainly aimed at making my life easier and that of Hamilton Pathetic harder - I hope the errors will be fewer and less frequent but, as usual, I must add the proviso that "Reading it on Red Passion doesn't make it true!" :D

I've changed the PPG table sort so that, when all other things are equal, Wrexham don't appear at the bottom of the list - hence we are currently 4th on PPG compared with 7th on other tables. Only Yeovil can best us! :)

A good start for our season, long may it continue. COYR

Hamilton Pathetic 5th August 2019 17.40:16

Re: Like for Like Stats - 2019/20

Anyone can get it right after one game, except the sponsors who chose Summerfield as the MOM!!!!!

Probably why the Tannoy wasn't working during the game.

Canadian Dragon 5th August 2019 20.57:30

DW...thank you for this. I do enjoy reading this information and it certainly does make it interesting to see how we compare to the previous campaign.

BUT....I still cannot get my head around the PPG statistic. In layman's terms can you (or HP) clarify this stat for me.

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Rae

draigwrecsam 6th August 2019 15.31:16

OK Rae. The PPG table is a forecast final table based on season to date performance.

I take an average of points earned per game to date and multiply by 46 to give an expected final total. Actually, I separate home and away, taking an average for each multiplied by 23 then add the home and away totals.

It has its best uses in mid to late season when games in hand may distort the actual table on a particular day. It works on the assumption that all teams will be consistent in their results throughout the season and it takes time for a winning or losing streak to have an impact.

Hope this helps!

draigwrecsam 7th August 2019 18.43:58

After Boreham Wood (A) VNL - 06/08/2019 (2-2)

4 Attachment(s)
A gut wrenching result.

draigwrecsam 11th August 2019 14.44:43

After Dover (A) VNL - 10/08/2019 (1-2)

4 Attachment(s)
No comment!

draigwrecsam 14th August 2019 17.00:05

After Halifax (H) VNL - 13/08/2019 (1-0)

4 Attachment(s)
That was an enjoyable game for me but that red card sure made it difficult. I'd have thought MOM should be Young or Dibble.

draigwrecsam 19th August 2019 10.04:33

4 Attachment(s)
A point away from home I'll settle for, but three would have been nice! :)

draigwrecsam 25th August 2019 21.07:26

After Barnet (H) VNL - 24/08/2019 (1-1)

4 Attachment(s)
Another point and, as Brian Flynn would have it, a point nearer safety. I enjoyed the game and I think Barnet were better than some give them credit for. But I'd like to see Carrington replace Barnum-Bobb and Barton replace Summerfield - or at least a ban on Summerfield taking corners and free kicks!

draigwrecsam 27th August 2019 20.45:17

After Hartlepool (A) VNL - 26/08/2019 (2-4)

4 Attachment(s)
Oh dear!

draigwrecsam 1st September 2019 10.58:18

After Stockport (H) VNL - 31/08/2019 (1-2)

4 Attachment(s)
The last ten minutes was good! :D

draigwrecsam 4th September 2019 16.34:34

After Maidenhead (H) VNL - 03/09/2019 (2-2)

4 Attachment(s)
Well, we didn't lose and so that was an improvement. I could even say that we were maybe, possibly, perhaps a litle bit unlucky - but I won't. :)

Hamilton Pathetic 4th September 2019 22.35:33

Still not looking. You’ve got a free hand.

draigwrecsam 8th September 2019 19.36:14

After Ayr U. (H) - 07/09/2019 (1-1 : 5-4 pens.)

4 Attachment(s)
Well that was interesting!

Meanwhile, we slipped to 18th and earned a game in hand!

League stats have not changed but I've included Matrix and PPG Table for reference.

draigwrecsam 15th September 2019 13.10:45

After Sutton (H) VNL - 15/09/2019 (1-1)

4 Attachment(s)
If you think 19th is bad, the PPG table has us 21st and in the relegation zone. I despair, surely this squad is of a calibre that should be challenging at the top of the table.

Tactics, if they exist, are totally predictable and there seems an unwillingness to change what is not working. Why on earth Barton is not playing is beyond me and playing one man up front at home is totally negative - especially when that man couldn't beat Flynn to a header.

OK, they say, but we've got a game in hand. Well, that game is away against Solihull - any bets on us winning that?

Like it or not, we are currently in a relegation fight and something needs to change quickly. Darlington should leave the building.

[I]Apologies: I have given Summerfield a goal he didn't score - it will be corrected after next game.[/I]

Hamilton Pathetic 15th September 2019 19.09:09

Still not looking, won't till Hughes and Darlington are just bad memories.

draigwrecsam 16th September 2019 17.19:34

I can live with Hughes if he gets some professional support, but Darlington should never set foot anywhere near the Racecourse or Nine Acres. Unfortunately, his day job means he is churning out guys with coaching badges who only know "his" way of playing. This does not bode well for Welsh football.

Hamilton Pathetic 16th September 2019 21.46:11

The sooner Hughes gets professional support before we all need professional help.

Hampshire Red 17th September 2019 21.09:20

Re: After Sutton (H) VNL - 15/09/2019 (1-1)

[QUOTE=draigwrecsam;2293474]If you think 19th is bad, the PPG table has us 21st and in the relegation zone. I despair, surely this squad is of a calibre that should be challenging at the top of the table.

Tactics, if they exist, are totally predictable and there seems an unwillingness to change what is not working. Why on earth Barton is not playing is beyond me and playing one man up front at home is totally negative - especially when that man couldn't beat Flynn to a header.

OK, they say, but we've got a game in hand. Well, that game is away against Solihull - any bets on us winning that?

Like it or not, we are currently in a relegation fight and something needs to change quickly. Darlington should leave the building.

[I]Apologies: I have given Summerfield a goal he didn't score - it will be corrected after next game.[/I][/QUOTE]

I think Aldershot's defeat tonight lifts us up to 20th in the PPG table. Probably shortlived, however, until Saturday when the Shots get their first home win of the season.

draigwrecsam 22nd September 2019 14.11:28

After Aldershot (A) VNL - 21/09/2019 (0-1)

4 Attachment(s)
Now we are officially in a relegation dogfight! The strategy is failing. What strategy? I believe the strategy is "do not lose", a favourite of Flynn and Darlington. It worked under Dean Keates - record number of draws and playoff bound when he left. It's not working now and I suspect a conflict between Hughes and Darlington/Flynn as Hughes wants to win.

We have a squad which, on paper, should be tearing up this league and the management team needs a shake up. I would keep Hughes but replace both Darlington and Flynn with an attack minded coach (which means he can't come from Darlington's Welsh Horror Coaching School) with a bit of experience and a bit of nouse.

A failure to win at Fylde will have the hounds baying all around the Racecourse next Saturday giving us another "Gateshead" result.

I've lost my rose tinted glasses!

draigwrecsam 25th September 2019 13.47:17

After Fylde (A) VNL - 24/09/2019 (2-3)

4 Attachment(s)
Well, I've updated for the record but it will not surprise me if nobody looks :)

Fylde did not post a gate figure although the Wrexham match report estimates the away support as 300 (incredible and thank you all). If anyone can give a reasonable estimate of the total gate I would appreciate it.

Rondy 25th September 2019 18.29:23

There's no motivation to win any more. Other teams know Wrexham are a pushover now. Things will only get worse until they have a clear out of 5 players and new management.

draigwrecsam 28th September 2019 21.19:01

After Ebbsfleet (H) VNL - 28/09/2019 (1-0)

4 Attachment(s)
First win in 9 games, first clean sheet in 9 games. Is Flynn the answer? Has a corner been turned? Afraid not, we should have slaughtered them.

Rob 1st October 2019 23.21:53

Its interesting data, and can be read many different ways 'on paper' but after seeing Saturday the real life context makes it a negative slant.

Got to agree with Flynn. Could get drastically bad.

draigwrecsam 2nd October 2019 20.01:04

After Solihull (A) VNL - 01/10/2019 (1-3)

4 Attachment(s)
"This could turn into a drastic situation"! No kidding Mr Flynn; apart from one slight detail. This is already a drastic situation!

That quote just sums up the short sighted view that is prevalent in the club management.

On PPG we are back in the relegation spot and the magical "game in hand" has gone.

Flynn has hinted that he may be in charge at Woking. Whether or not he is being considered for a longer stint is unclear, but it won't be the solution. The sooner a "new" and fresh face is at the helm the better.

We have a long struggle ahead.

draigwrecsam 6th October 2019 10.45:09

After Woking (A) VNL - 05/10/2019 (1-1)

4 Attachment(s)
By most accounts (not all because I read Red Passion :)) that was an improvement. I shudder to think what the alternative might be, but an away point is not to be sniffed at - we now need an away win.

A big thank you to the 159 fans who made the trip.

draigwrecsam 9th October 2019 15.39:06

After Harrogate (H) VNL - 08/10/2019 (1-1)

4 Attachment(s)
Keates is back! High work rate, 4-4-2, solid defence, limited substitutions. I say solid defence because it would have been if Carrington were fit. Barnum-Bobb is not a defender. Thirty games to go but at the moment we're in a relegation dogfight.

For what it's worth, I thought Barton earned his MoM.

draigwrecsam 13th October 2019 15.02:01

There will be a short delay while I restructure the stats to accomodate the fact that we now have 11 youth players with squad numbers. To fit everything on 1 page I'd have to go to about a 3pt font and it's not that readable now! Bear with me.

By the way, I thought it was a reasonably entertaining game yesterday and Matty Jones should have been MoM. Some of the senior players, on their performance yesterday, should start looking for a new club now.

draigwrecsam 16th October 2019 19.48:01

After Chesterfield (H) VNL - 15/10/2019 (0-1)

5 Attachment(s)
The restructuring of the stats is taking longer than expected. I am posting the latest versions, including the cup stats, in the old format and to read them you may need to use the zoom button :). A better service will be resumed as soon as possible!

draigwrecsam 20th October 2019 10.44:23

After Chesterfield (A) FAC Q4 - 19/10/2019 (1-1)

3 Attachment(s)
So we go again!
(Re-structuring still not complete - finger issue!)

draigwrecsam 23rd October 2019 16.28:06

After Chesterfield (A) FAC 4QR - 22/10/2019

3 Attachment(s)
Bring on Rochdale then. A typical Keates team performance. Godd play until the goal and then settle back to "not lose" mode which led to a real squeaky bum last few minutes. Of course, if Harris and Grant had capitalised on their one-on-ones with Coddington...

Horsfield an obvious improvement on Izzy Barnum-Bobb and with Carrington on the bench, Izzy's days are surely numbered. I thought Barton deserved his MoM and Wright should have been replaced by Young much, much earlier.

Now let's see if the Keates method can win a league game!

Hamilton Pathetic 23rd October 2019 18.32:58

Re: After Chesterfield (A) FAC 4QR - 22/10/2019

[QUOTE=draigwrecsam;2310639]Bring on Rochdale then. A typical Keates team performance. Godd play until the goal and then settle back to "not lose" mode which led to a real squeaky bum last few minutes. Of course, if Harris and Grant had capitalised on their one-on-ones with Coddington...

Horsfield an obvious improvement on Izzy Barnum-Bobb and with Carrington on the bench, Izzy's days are surely numbered. I thought Barton deserved his MoM and Wright should have been replaced by Young much, much earlier.

Now let's see if the Keates method can win a league game![/QUOTE]

I'm still not looking at the spreadsheet but if your posts are anything to go by I dread the day when I will be in a position to look at them.

It's 'Good play' not 'Godd play'!

draigwrecsam 23rd October 2019 22.15:07

Relax, there will be much worse stuff to complain about when you look at the files! :D

draigwrecsam 26th October 2019 19.35:50

After Dagenham (A) VNL - 26/10/2019 (1-2)

4 Attachment(s)
Another respite from Hamilton Pathetic's eagle eye! :)

Was it only a year ago that, after 18 games we had scored only 3 more goals than now but we were in 2nd place with more than double the number of points. Half our league games have been played without the Pearson/Lawlor CB partnership during which time we only garnered 5 points.

draigwrecsam 30th October 2019 14.47:58

After Torquay (A) VNL - 29/10/2019 (0-1)

4 Attachment(s)
WARNING: The attached files have been declared "not fit for human consumption" however, the contents are virtually indigestible and so viewers may experience some discomfort! :)

draigwrecsam 3rd November 2019 12.41:53

After Bromley (H) VNL - 02/11/2019 (1-0)

4 Attachment(s)
What a difference a Pearson makes. Looking at the league stats, our performance with Pearson and Lawlor as the centre backs is W4 D2 L3 and includes all the clean sheets. Any other combination (i.e. Chambers and Lawlor/Pearson) has resulted in W0 D5 L6.

Dean is no doubt delighted at 3 points and a clean sheet. So am I but I'm not excited about having to watch that type of performance for the next 26 games. If Hooper comes back quickly, and wants to stay, maybe we'll see more wins than draws. We still need 31 points for the magic 50 that may save us. That translates to 10 wins and a draw or, more realistically in my mind, 7 wins and 10 draws. Will a January shake-up come too late? We have 9 games before the window opens and 14 games after it closes.

Playoffs? PPG says we'll need 72 points from 26 games, will we only drop 6 points from now until May? Dreamers dream on!

draigwrecsam 10th November 2019 21.02:19

After Rochdale (H) FAC 1 - 10/11/2019

3 Attachment(s)
I thought it was an entertaining game. We were desperately unlucky and I'm not convinced a fit Hooper would have made a difference. Carrington well deserved his MoM with an outstanding performance.
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

draigwrecsam 17th November 2019 15.50:56

After Rangers U21 (A) SCC QF - 16/11/2019 (0-2)

3 Attachment(s)
Pretty much as expected, I'm happy that DK stayed with the youngsters who got us this far. Saddened that there are a few followers (certainly not fans or supporters) who still live in the '80s with their younger hangers on who think it's cool.

Apart from Eastleigh and us, there was a full league program which thankfully didn't do too much damage. We slipped to 22nd on goal difference, though the PPG table keeps us in 21st by 0.000003 of a point! :)

draigwrecsam 20th November 2019 10.29:21

After Rochdale (A) FAC 1R - 19/11/2019 (0-1)

3 Attachment(s)
Oh well, Wales won!

(I'm away this coming weekend and so stats from Saturday's games may not appear until Monday.)

draigwrecsam 25th November 2019 20.00:45

After Yeovil (H) VNL - 23/11/2019 (3-3)

4 Attachment(s)
Wow, on paper I seem to have missed a cracker. I'm looking forward to 6 goals tomorrow - and a clean sheet for us! :)

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.47:34.