RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Question for WFC away following (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114290-question-wfc-away-following.html)

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 8th August 2019 16.00:33

Question for WFC away following

A question for fellow Reds who use the official club coach for away games please. Do you think that we leave too late in the day or is it about right ? On Tuesday we arrived in Boreham Wood less than an hour before kick off and this seems to be the norm these days. When Pete of SHREDS ran the away travel we used to aim to arrive a couple of hours before kick off, which suited some people but not others.
What is the general opinion now please ?

dancake 8th August 2019 18.12:18

Re: Question for WFC away following

I'd imagine Tuesdays and Saturdays are treated slightly differently.

Willywill 8th August 2019 19.54:07

I went on Tuesday night in the Supporters Coach and I felt that the timing was spot on. After arriving at Borehamwood, I consumed a very quick pint at Spoons and then got into my seat with 15minutes to go. In answer to your question - it depends how much alcohol you need to get down you, pre match.
In this League the quality of stadium toilets is very poor - three urinals for our near 400 fan support at Borehamwood. I would rather drink at home where the bogs are clean and accessible!

billybersham 8th August 2019 21.20:15

[QUOTE=Willywill;2279789]I went on Tuesday night in the Supporters Coach and I felt that the timing was spot on. After arriving at Borehamwood, I consumed a very quick pint at Spoons and then got into my seat with 15minutes to go. In answer to your question - it depends how much alcohol you need to get down you, pre match.
In this League the quality of stadium toilets is very poor - three urinals for our near 400 fan support at Borehamwood. I would rather drink at home where the bogs are clean and accessible![/QUOTE]

Do you think the numbers of 400 away fans was correct or was geoff moss and pryce doing the counting.

Lods 9th August 2019 00.17:45

Agreed. I'm not one of those people who drinks too much before the match, but it's nice to go to the pub and socialize a bit pre-match. Or at least have the option to do so.

I went to Borehamwood Tuesday. Google estimates the journey takes 3 hours 20 minutes and I think it took us 4 hours 30 mins (including a small 15-20 minute stop at the services) so I think we got bad luck with traffic and we were meant to arrive a little earlier than we did.

Compare it to the Maidenhead trip I went to last year which is a similar distance away (and coincidentally was also a Tuesday evening match). We got there with plenty of time to have a drink. Maybe the result helped but I enjoyed Maidenhead away more than Borehamwood.

Hawarden Red10 9th August 2019 05.11:33

I thought it was too late too, one of the reason's I'm shelling out for the train to Saturday away matches from now on. The main reason however, is the guy who absolutely STINKS who appears to have become a regular on the coach. If you've been within 10 yards of the guy then you'll know who I'm on about and I'm sure I am not alone in this putting them off.

Wrexy 9th August 2019 06.27:37

[QUOTE=Hawarden Red10;2279808]I thought it was too late too, one of the reason's I'm shelling out for the train to Saturday away matches from now on. The main reason however, is the guy who absolutely STINKS who appears to have become a regular on the coach. If you've been within 10 yards of the guy then you'll know who I'm on about and I'm sure I am not alone in this putting them off.[/QUOTE]

Nothing worse than this apart from the guy whose Mum has made him egg and cress sarnies for the journey.

Remember getting to Plymouth super early on the supporters coach once which gave us about 3 hours to kill. A brilliant day seeing the sights around The Hoe and we got a result if memory serves. Balance that with Bournemouth where we arrive early and the local plod stopped us going to the local pubs and off-licences pre match (Leeds riot in mind).

Arriving 90 mins before KO is about right for me. I’d be happier to have less time in places like Borehamwood.

wxmexile 9th August 2019 08.32:31

[QUOTE=Hawarden Red10;2279808]I thought it was too late too, one of the reason's I'm shelling out for the train to Saturday away matches from now on. The main reason however, is the guy who absolutely STINKS who appears to have become a regular on the coach. If you've been within 10 yards of the guy then you'll know who I'm on about and I'm sure I am not alone in this putting them off.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. I used to regularly use the coach along with a few others, but it's now a last resort for us. I probably would have gone on Sat but can't face that trip bearing this in mind. It's a difficult one to deal with tbf but I think someone needs to have a word, sensitively, as it's really unbearable for other people.

ColwynBayGaz 9th August 2019 08.45:32

I've never travelled on the club busses however I'll quote what Red Light put on another thread regarding arrival times. I do agree that an hours leeway considering the overall travel time is harsh but if it's a government enforced legislation I'm not sure what can be done.

[url]http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114201-away-travel-coach-toilets-3.html#post2276015[/url]

[QUOTE=Red Light;2276015]Think there are rules governing the arrival of away supporters coaches - seem to recollect they are not supposed to arrive more than 90 minutes before kick off - Sporting Events control of alcohol - idea is to prevent the masses getting excessively bladdered on away soil and causing potential problems.

As you have highlighted, in the event of traffic delays / accidents etc sometimes this is too close to comfort - coach driver always has an option to head for the destination and park up a few miles away before making the final few miles closer to kick off - indeed I assume this happens with regularity up and down the country.[/QUOTE]

Willywill 9th August 2019 08.51:47

At an away match, fans have their own agendas. Some think it’s a disaster if they haven’t sunk four pints before the game. And some just want to see a match. Getting the departure time right will be tough when everyone wants something different from the trip.
For 40 years, I went in the car (usually with my dad and two boys) to away games. As the driver, booze was the last thing I wanted to get involved with. After watching a few WAfC fans in spoons on Tuesday night (when they started chanting in someone else’s manor), I will taking the car.

percy vere 9th August 2019 14.23:40

[QUOTE=Willywill;2279830]At an away match, fans have their own agendas. Some think it’s a disaster if they haven’t sunk four pints before the game. And some just want to see a match. Getting the departure time right will be tough when everyone wants something different from the trip.
For 40 years, I went in the car (usually with my dad and two boys) to away games. As the driver, booze was the last thing I wanted to get involved with. After watching a few WAfC fans in spoons on Tuesday night (when they started chanting in someone else’s manor), I will taking the car.[/QUOTE]

Chanting before a football match ! What is the world coming too ?

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 9th August 2019 14.36:19

Hell, is THAT what the smell was ? I thought that it was coming from the toilets. it was disgusting.

REDPHEONIX 9th August 2019 15.23:48

I attended on Tuesday and thought the timing was about right 15 min stop at the services on route. Departure time of 14.30 returning back at 01.30 am without a stop. The day was certainly long enough for me.

Hawarden Red10 9th August 2019 16.26:18

[QUOTE=Lord Derfyl Cadarn;2279912]Hell, is THAT what the smell was ? I thought that it was coming from the toilets. it was disgusting.[/QUOTE]

There's a reason I headed for the second of the 2 buses this time...I made the mistake of sitting just 5 rows behind down to Eastleigh last season, I was nearly sick. Quickly realised why everyone had headed straight for the back of the bus.

Red Light 9th August 2019 17.41:07

[QUOTE=Hawarden Red10;2279941]There's a reason I headed for the second of the 2 buses this time...I made the mistake of sitting just 5 rows behind down to Eastleigh last season, I was nearly sick. Quickly realised why everyone had headed straight for the back of the bus.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I have formed a vision in my head of 2 coaches setting off for a very long journey to Boreham Wood.

Coach one has a driver and 103 passengers aboard it. Half are standing up in the aisle but are happy and breathing normally.

Coach two has a driver and one isolated passenger sitting alone on the back seat.

Is there a sheep dip / car wash / hose pipe near the racecourse Ground ?

:crampe::crampe::crampe::crampe:

WasanActonlad 9th August 2019 18.26:19

Just a thought guys, the subject on whom this thread has turned may have an illness , he may not be aware of what is being emitted, surely as being a greater family unit, help should be offered.
As a supporter he may read this forum , and realise he is being spoken of, like everyone he'll have feelings.

Red Light 9th August 2019 18.28:59

Wrexham to Dover is shown as a distance of 279 miles and a journey time of 4 hors 52 minutes - obviously you have to come back so you can double that time - I have never been there for a football match and doubt I ever will - too far by any stretch of the imagination - might as well go the full hog and take in Paris coz your nearly there aren't you ?

However I salute anyone who ventures that distance from anywhere but especially from North Wales.

Willing participants should be given a Campaign Medal for supporting services to Wrexham AFC - perhaps an additional gold bar could be added to the medal should the air on the supporters coach be, shall we say 'tainted'. It's not as if you can wind a window down is it ?

Hawarden Red10 9th August 2019 20.50:33

[QUOTE=WasanActonlad;2279957]Just a thought guys, the subject on whom this thread has turned may have an illness , he may not be aware of what is being emitted, surely as being a greater family unit, help should be offered.
As a supporter he may read this forum , and realise he is being spoken of, like everyone he'll have feelings.[/QUOTE]

The dirty state of the clothing is enough to know this definitely isn't the case. Disgusting personal hygiene causes it and a word needs to be had as it really is unbearable for everyone else

Colomiers Phoenix 9th August 2019 21.24:56

[QUOTE=Hawarden Red10;2279971]The dirty state of the clothing is enough to know this definitely isn't the case. Disgusting personal hygiene causes it and a word needs to be had as it really is unbearable for everyone else[/QUOTE]

you have obviously identified the alleged culprit - have that word

Willywill 9th August 2019 23.17:57

There’s no excuse for poor personal hygiene. It’s a tough call to tell someone that they stink. It has to be done though.

FieldtownRed 10th August 2019 08.00:53

[QUOTE=Colomiers Phoenix;2279974]you have obviously identified the alleged culprit - have that word[/QUOTE]

I reckon it’s Rutherford and they don’t let him go on the team coach because of this. It’s all his fault.

Chunk 10th August 2019 15.54:11

[QUOTE=FieldtownRed;2279991]I reckon it’s Rutherford and they don’t let him go on the team coach because of this. It’s all his fault.[/QUOTE]

He's been working too hard :eek:

It's okay getting to a ground a few hours early when you fancy a few drinks but when you have kids in tow and the ground is in the middle of nowhere it can be a pain. You'll never please everyone and generally I think timings are about right, if I fancy a session I use alternative transport.

Outertowner 10th August 2019 23.33:45

How many coaches go down, couldn’t they stagger the set off times?

JonWrexhamfc 11th August 2019 00.02:19

[QUOTE=Willywill;2279982]There’s no excuse for poor personal hygiene. It’s a tough call to tell someone that they stink. It has to be done though.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant.

Funny_Old_Game 11th August 2019 06.33:30

RP Gold this is. One of the classic threads.

Red Light 11th August 2019 07.07:25

[QUOTE=Outertowner;2280641]How many coaches go down, couldn’t they stagger the set off times?[/QUOTE]

No they couldn't - totally impractical.

The objective is simple - the coaches convey supporters to the away venue for a football match - it's not designed for providing a separate coach to accommodate those who want to go drinking at an earlier time.

There are rules that govern these circumstances - Control of alcohol / Sporting Events - coaches are not allowed to arrive at the venue more than 2 hours prior to kick off - for the very reason that historically, up and down the country many supporters have got bladdered and caused major problems on away soil.

How many supporters coaches go varies tremendously - dependent on lots of factors - location, appeal of the fixture - and they soar in numbers towards the end of the season if we are within a chance of promotion.

You turn up at the Turf (or additional pick up point) as was the case for Dover Athletic yesterday at 0700 am - then the coach(es) set off and travel pretty much in convoy - simple as.

Anyone who used the official coach travel to Dover yesterday might wish to update us all on their satisfaction level (or not) as the case maybe of coaches provided, how many travelled and facilities aboard like working accessible toilets that some have complained about.

Vambo 12th August 2019 08.04:04

[QUOTE=Red Light;2280650]No they couldn't - totally impractical.

The objective is simple - the coaches convey supporters to the away venue for a football match - it's not designed for providing a separate coach to accommodate those who want to go drinking at an earlier time.

There are rules that govern these circumstances - Control of alcohol / Sporting Events - coaches are not allowed to arrive at the venue more than 2 hours prior to kick off - for the very reason that historically, up and down the country many supporters have got bladdered and caused major problems on away soil.

How many supporters coaches go varies tremendously - dependent on lots of factors - location, appeal of the fixture - and they soar in numbers towards the end of the season if we are within a chance of promotion.

You turn up at the Turf (or additional pick up point) as was the case for Dover Athletic yesterday at 0700 am - then the coach(es) set off and travel pretty much in convoy - simple as.

Anyone who used the official coach travel to Dover yesterday might wish to update us all on their satisfaction level (or not) as the case maybe of coaches provided, how many travelled and facilities aboard like working accessible toilets that some have complained about.[/QUOTE]

It would be easy and legal for one or more buses to leave an hour earlier than others when more than one bus is going.

KingBuxton_Forever red 12th August 2019 08.15:23

Stinkgate.

I say post pictures of him so we can all point and laugh at him when we see him.

Can I ask what kind of smell is it? Sh*t? Sweat? Musty?

We need details.

Willywill 12th August 2019 08.37:29

My late father always used to say “only your best friends will tell you that you smell”. Implying that most folks don’t really care about you - only your friends will give you the opportunity to put things right. It is so very delicate.

KingBuxton_Forever red 12th August 2019 09.24:35

[QUOTE=Willywill;2280880]My late father always used to say “only your best friends will tell you that you smell”. Implying that most folks don’t really care about you - only your friends will give you the opportunity to put things right. It is so very delicate.[/QUOTE]

Who is the sympathy for though?

The poor people who have to smell him, or the smelly bloke blissfully unaware he honks.

Willywill 12th August 2019 09.32:02

If he sat next to me, I would have to tell him. Where are the pictures of him?

Red Light 12th August 2019 09.38:21

[QUOTE=Vambo;2280872]It would be easy and legal for one or more buses to leave an hour earlier than others when more than one bus is going.[/QUOTE]

But a total pain in the arse to administer - the number of coaches is variable - what should the club shop staff do ? start running two systems with different set off times.

If you wish to travel on an official coach for footballing reasons join the existing system - if not then hire a coach out independent of the club and set off when you wish - of course all coaches whether official or independent are still governed by the rules of not arriving more than 2 hours prior to kick off.

I don't know how many official coaches went to Boreham Wood & Dover - perhaps a couple but I expect additional coaches would be ordered as bookings are taken and their capacity is filled - this would become a headache too far with separate timings - personally I would rather see more of a drive to provide coaches from alternative pick up points which only happens on rare occasions - coaches have previously picked up at Deeside, Mold and the Buckley Tiv - but unless it's a big match or we are doing well nobody knows what the demand would be and feesability of laying on such coaches - my view is the club play the safe simple to administer option i.e. collect from the Turf at xx am.

Phils-an-alki 12th August 2019 09.54:43

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2280890]Who is the sympathy for though?

The poor people who have to smell him, or the smelly bloke blissfully unaware he honks.[/QUOTE]

It could be some sort of medical condition, I have no idea what though. I don't think any photos should be circulated of him or that people should point this guy out and publicly humiliate him for something that none of us know nothing about. Hopefully word will get to someone who knows him well and they can have a quiet word.

KingBuxton_Forever red 12th August 2019 10.06:17

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2280905]It could be some sort of medical condition, I have no idea what though. I don't think any photos should be circulated of him or that people should point this guy out and publicly humiliate him for something that none of us know nothing about. Hopefully word will get to someone who knows him well and they can have a quiet word.[/QUOTE]

To be clear, I was joking about circulating photos. I also don't know the guy from Adam.

Out of curiousity, what medical condition makes you smell?

CRUMBS 12th August 2019 10.07:48

Fear of soap and water .

Funny_Old_Game 12th August 2019 10.08:59

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2280905]Hopefully word will get to someone who knows him well and they can have a quiet word.[/QUOTE]

If they can hold their breath long enough to tell him.

joe 12th August 2019 10.53:19

Haven’t got the official coach for about 5 years but I am 95% sure I know who people are talking about here. ��

KingBuxton_Forever red 12th August 2019 11.09:13

[QUOTE=joe;2280935]Haven’t got the official coach for about 5 years but I am 95% sure I know who people are talking about here. ��[/QUOTE]

So he either hasn't been told or (most likely) someone at some point has told him and he doesn't care.

CRUMBS 12th August 2019 11.12:30

I can take a hint you know , I'm Spartacus .

Hawarden Red10 12th August 2019 11.47:49

[QUOTE=joe;2280935]Haven’t got the official coach for about 5 years but I am 95% sure I know who people are talking about here. ��[/QUOTE]

Hood up no matter the weather, same nylon tracksuit bottoms, old...

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.41:07.