RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Game Management (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114321-game-management.html)

Rob 14th August 2019 08.37:45

Game Management

I dont think I have heard the term mentioned so much since the last week or two.

What does it mean to you? Posh name for time wasting, niggly fouls, staying down injured when you are not... or some other tactical masterclass?

podders 14th August 2019 08.47:41

Re: Game Management

It’s a phrase used by people who don’t really understand football but really want people to think they do.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

ColwynBayGaz 14th August 2019 08.57:15

[QUOTE=podders;2281721]It’s a phrase used by people who don’t really understand football but really want people to think they do.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Weird, I'd say if you're in or approaching the 90th minute and trying to keep the ball away from the opposing team, or put it as far into their half as possible, whilst not doing anything stupid like 25 yard pot shots, or 'that pass' style ball, then that's managing the game well (aka game management)

Maybe every single football player in the world who actually does that at all levels of the game, must not 'understand football' :huh2::huh2:

Prodigal Dragon 14th August 2019 09.02:15

[QUOTE=Rob;2281716]I dont think I have heard the term mentioned so much since the last week or two.

What does it mean to you? Posh name for time wasting, niggly fouls, staying down injured when you are not... or some other tactical masterclass?[/QUOTE]

A combination of keeping hold of the ball in non-dangerous areas and, as they would say in rugby union, cheating.;)

Mr Wonderful 14th August 2019 09.04:23

In a nutshell - The art of not conceding a goal in the last ten when you are in a winning position.

BloodRed 14th August 2019 09.08:43

Something that I constantly think other teams do better than us.

To me its the art of keeping the ball and keeping it away from your goal towards the end of a game when leading/holding on for a draw by whatever means necessary (time wasting, gaining dubious fouls, subs, hoofing it out of the ground, actually passing the ball to a team mate!)

Quay Red 14th August 2019 09.08:51

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2281726]A combination of keeping hold of the ball in non-dangerous areas and, as they would say in rugby union, cheating.;)[/QUOTE]

Basically correct.
Our game management needs work but also requires players to be confident in their ability to keep the ball.
Poor management is hoofing it to the opposition and then panicking when the ball comes straight back at us.
We need the confidence to retain possession, we have the players to do this but at Boreham Wood and Dover and at times last night the clearance was a careless hoof out of defence rather than a considered pass for ball retention.

KingBuxton_Forever red 14th August 2019 09.12:12

Its basically all the shithouse tactics that you hate to see done against you when you need a goal. Time wasting etc.

Agree though, its become a trendy word.

CRUMBS 14th August 2019 09.19:36

A lot of it should be about passing to your own player , they talk of triangles , in the game against Dover down to 10 men the ball gets pushed out of defence only to come straight back . If they only thought about passing the ball and working the opposition around instead they put endless pressure on themselves . It's discipline really instead of panic .

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.57:55.