Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

View Poll Results: Do you any confidence left in the WST & CLub Boards?
Yes 61 26.52%
No 169 73.48%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th September 2019, 09.10:52   #19-0 (permalink)
joe
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale
Twitter: @

Default Re: Confidence in the Boards - WST & Club

Great job off the field which we're all grateful for, but there's only so far that can take you, and at the end of the day it's a football club not a banking firm.

Things need a change as they clearly don't have a clue about footballing matters, strange decision after strange decision, plenty of questions asked but never ever answered, and I find that no accountability being taken shows the arrogance of the board.

When we eventually have to cut our losses and sack Hughes (hopefully sooner rather than later), I have no confidence that we will have an explanation to the January fiasco nor do I have confidence that we will appoint a good long term successor to Hughes, it'll either be another poor chap out of his depth or a good manager that would soon leave to bigger and better things.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.17:35   #20-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Anywhere I can get a ticket

As the question is ANY confidence, then even having some level of confidence in the Trust board means you answer yes.

I have probably lost confidence in the boards approach to the footballing decisions, i have said on the 'director of football' thread that i would like to see someone with recent experience in professional football on the club board to advise on the football related approach.

But looking at the club as a whole it is run better than at any point i have been a fan and you have to look at the club as a whole as the football part and the business/commercial/community part of the club cannot exists without the other.

If i had to push for a new ownership model i would want to see a Community Investment Company set up. This is a similar ownership model to Solihull Moors and Darlington 1883. This is a company set up where the profits can only be invested back into the company. For Solihull Moors it is around 10 private investors, for Darlington 1883 it is majority owned by there supporters trust.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.24:57   #21-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jonez View Post
Off the field a big YES. They should be applauded for many positive things.

On the field (footballing matters) a huge NO. The Davies/Barrow/Newell/Lawrence farce coupled with the appointment of Hughes is my reasoning.
Agree.

Ultimately, the important behind the scenes stuff is lost in the noise if the football is unsuccessful. The Board are running the business side well -- within the limitations -- but their lack of understanding about appointing managers and coaches is a fundamental flaw that must be addressed asap. Otherwise, the cash-flow will dry up and we will be up sh1t creek without a paddle.

The poll is too narrow, and mirrors the Brexit fiasco by having only a binary option. If life were only so 'black & white', rather than the murky grey it often is!
Old 4th September 2019, 09.28:21   #22-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Again, we're a football club. Everything off the field should result in results on the field, if at any point that stops working then they haven't done their jobs. Simple stuff.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.29:58   #23-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
Again, we're a football club. Everything off the field should result in results on the field, if at any point that stops working then they haven't done their jobs. Simple stuff.
That's far too simple an approach Phil. If they have positives that benefit the club (such as managing the finances well) then they should definitely continue to do that, and we should be looking at bringing in a Director of Football or something similar.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.37:00   #24-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedStarksGhost View Post
That's far too simple an approach Phil. If they have positives that benefit the club (such as managing the finances well) then they should definitely continue to do that, and we should be looking at bringing in a Director of Football or something similar.
Fair enough but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. They should be judged on where they have taken the club IMO and that's nowhere, backwards if anything. Its all about the football and success or at least visible progress for me.

Lets not forget the January fiasco, Manny contract secret and their manipulation of 'good news' to win favour with fans. Poor management of the stadium and ignoring any criticism with silence. John Mills antics with fezbob and other dreadful behaviour which in any normal company would have seen him sacked.

This off the field everything is dandy line doesn't wash with me. We can't even keep hold of a manager for one season so that also backs that up.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.38:50   #25-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Anywhere I can get a ticket

Quote:
When the Trust first took over, and we got our first bit of football fortune. There was talk of some of that fortune going towards the youth system. The overwhelming opinion on here was that no money should be diverted from the first team budget for 'kids'. That in part has given rise to the 'cost neutral' approach to our youth system - which hasn't gone so well.

Once you start to ignore one part of the club its very hard to get back.
Old 4th September 2019, 09.42:23   #26-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
In your mind it clearly is but others -- myself included -- disagree.

To adapt your analogy of the builder with great accounts but poor workmanship. How many good builders or companies fail because, whilst they are very good at their job, they don't do the essential admin bumf on time and to the right standard? Far too many.

The club must get both sides of the business correct. Currently, they are about 70% behind the scenes, whilst about 30% on the pitch. They are open about many things but become insular when attacked. I fully understand their reaction to some of the bile and vitriol thrown at them but, equally, their inability to reflect on their failings and make the changes is extremely worrying.

Ultimately, it is for the Chairman of the WST to hold the Wrexham FC Board to account. That supervisory role failed from when Ricketts decided to leave, when the Board went UDI due to their not trusting elements within the WST upper echelons, who were leaking information.

At the moment, the WST model is all we have, but it is dependent on supporters' financial and actual support. That trust in the Trust has disintegrated amongst many, and been tried amongst most. The WST must get a grip of this before our position both on and off the field worsens.

But, finally, we are the WST. If we are not happy with how some or all of our representatives are conducting themselves then we must seek alternative folk to run things. But that is a massive commitment that few seem willing to make.

IMHO, we should not 'throw the baby out with the bathwater', but we do need some fresh brains on the Board to get us back on track before it all runs away. Don't prevaricate. Think then act!
Old 4th September 2019, 09.44:38   #27-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Fair enough but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. They should be judged on where they have taken the club IMO and that's nowhere, backwards if anything. Its all about the football and success or at least visible progress for me.

Lets not forget the January fiasco, Manny contract secret and their manipulation of 'good news' to win favour with fans. Poor management of the stadium and ignoring any criticism with silence. John Mills antics with fezbob and other dreadful behaviour which in any normal company would have seen him sacked.

This off the field everything is dandy line doesn't wash with me. We can't even keep hold of a manager for one season so that also backs that up.
I think those of us with the "off the field is dandy" stance do not disagree with how poorly the board have dealt with the football management aspect. I have been very vocal in that during times of mismanagement. But the club extends beyond the football as far as management goes and I do think that needs to be taken into account when deciding if they're fit to run things. In my eyes, they have done enough to justify retaining their position.

But, and I can't emphasise this enough, I 100% agree they should have the football team management taken away and given to someone who can handle it better. The January fiasco was one of the most embarrassing things I've witnessed and I don't want to see it happen ever again.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.25:34.