RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Time to change tactics? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114441-time-change-tactics.html)

BillEBadass 5th September 2019 14.59:48

Time to change tactics?

I fully supported BH's attempts to deliver a more attacking side. We have no 'divine right' to return to the Football League - it has to be earned by winning games which means scoring goals.

However we also have no 'divine right' to stay in this League. Roughly 20% of the games have been played and we are only 3 points off the relegation places.

Maybe the focus needs to be on defence and not losing, trying to snatch a win whenever possible. Its poor to watch and we will lose fans but surely preferable to ending up in National League North.

We have been beaten by some very average sides already and it will probably happen again - maybe it is time to fight a rear guard action?

Ooh aah Paskin 5th September 2019 15.24:07

Re: Time to change tactics?

Trouble is I don't actually think our defence is strong enough to do these tactics.

Lawlor has been off the pace already this season and Bobb is appearing to be a liability at the back. You could use Carrington but again it all goes back to the square pegs situation.

Plus, and I think this was the crucial part in the last two seasons (where our defence has appeared solid) we are missing the Likes of Walker and Wedgebury. Two midfielders that sat deep and broke up play, protecting the back four.

At the moment we have a more 'attack' minded midfield which unfortunately the opposition seem to be able to pass through like a knife through butter.

benwilliams 5th September 2019 15.25:22

[QUOTE=Ooh aah Paskin;2290066]Trouble is I don't actually think our defence is strong enough to do these tactics.

Lawlor has been off the pace already this season and Bobb is appearing to be a liability at the back. You could use Carrington but again it all goes back to the square pegs situation.

Plus, and I think this was the crucial part in the last two seasons (where our defence has appeared solid) we are missing the Likes of Walker and Wedgebury. Two midfielders that sat deep and broke up play, protecting the back four.

At the moment we have a more 'attack' minded midfield which unfortunately the opposition seem to be able to pass through like a knife through butter.[/QUOTE]

This sums it up quite well, our players arent good enough under the new attacking ethos and we no longer have the right players to play a more Keates defensive game. We are stuck between 2 stools sadly.

Redordead 5th September 2019 15.45:23

Why’s he given Barton a 2 year contract and not even started him yet?

LlayDragon 5th September 2019 15.51:26

I can see why a change in tactics is appealing, but I also think we have deaper issues.

Fitness, conditioning, organisation, discipline, motivation, set-plays,(attacking and defending) etc.

Red Light 5th September 2019 15.55:39

[QUOTE=BillEBadass;2290057]I fully supported BH's attempts to deliver a more attacking side. We have no 'divine right' to return to the Football League - it has to be earned by winning games which means scoring goals.

However we also have no 'divine right' to stay in this League. Roughly 20% of the games have been played and we are only 3 points off the relegation places.

Maybe the focus needs to be on defence and not losing, trying to snatch a win whenever possible. Its poor to watch and we will lose fans but surely preferable to ending up in National League North.

We have been beaten by some very average sides already and it will probably happen again - maybe it is time to fight a rear guard action?[/QUOTE]

Spot on - we do not have a divine right to be promoted but many believe we do based on the size of our fanbase and history.

But I don't believe we have been beaten by 'very average sides' - our recent defeats have come against clubs in really good form - not forgetting that the current league leaders who have only dropped 5 points all season lost 3 of them against us and we only had 10 men.

What's the answer ? stick or twist ? how much do we change ? the whole team, the manager, the board - or persevere and as in many walks of life try to put what is wrong right again - up until Hartlepool were thins so bad ? and look at their form since they beat us - things can change very quickly for the better or worse.

JonoWafc 5th September 2019 16.13:15

[QUOTE=Redordead;2290071]Why’s he given Barton a 2 year contract and not even started him yet?[/QUOTE]

Because he’s shite

benwilliams 5th September 2019 16.43:39

[QUOTE=JonoWafc;2290082]Because he’s shite[/QUOTE]

He might well be but who says and on what evidence? He has hardly played and the general consensus seems to be he has been solid not spectacular.

We apparently dont do proper training so he can't have failed in that unless he doesnt do enough keepie uppies! A strange one.

sparky 5th September 2019 17.00:39

[QUOTE=LlayDragon;2290073]I can see why a change in tactics is appealing, but I also think we have deaper issues.

Fitness, conditioning, organisation, discipline, motivation, set-plays,(attacking and defending) etc.[/QUOTE]

Apart from that though....

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.18:34.