RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Wales U21's V Belgium U21's (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114442-wales-u21s-v-belgium-u21s.html)

Red Light 6th September 2019 19.51:25

Re: Wales U21's V Belgium U21's

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2290418]That’s a cracking result.[/QUOTE]

Agree - a fantastic result.

However,it's such a massive shame for those young lads to run out onto the Racecourse pitch representing their country, some for the first time.......and to be greeted by a mere 300 spectators.

Something, somewhere, and there are probably numerous factors is drastically wrong in how this fixture was marketed / publicized.

I recall watching many Under 21 fixtures, some perhaps 10 years ago now at the Racecourse - attendances were certainly better in previous years but low profile publicity and media attention combined with the kick off time have not helped.

If UEFA have set the kick off time there needs to be some representation with a view to change so far more people can realistically attend such fixtures - we in North Wales always come a distant second to those in the south - but this is about the same level as the after meal crumbs off the banqueting tablecloth.

Mr Wonderful 6th September 2019 19.56:29

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2290421]Oh stop being positive, this is Red Passion.[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry, you’re right, I forgot where I was for a minute then ;)

WV1 6th September 2019 22.00:10

There was more dignitaries there than supporters.

Mould Road was empty.

WrexhamTID 6th September 2019 22.53:11

That’s a dreadful attendance. May as well play it at Queensway

Hometown Unicorn 7th September 2019 01.12:53

[QUOTE=Bigmike;2290359]We are playing Germany u21 on Tues I will post ko time because it is more sensible. The game is again at Wrexham. £5 entry.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there. I usually watch the seniors home and away but sod a friendly at home to Belarus in Cardiff where our reserves will likely play.

thedischunter96 7th September 2019 11.24:46

[QUOTE=Red Light;2290429]Agree - a fantastic result.

However,it's such a massive shame for those young lads to run out onto the Racecourse pitch representing their country, some for the first time.......and to be greeted by a mere 300 spectators.

Something, somewhere, and there are probably numerous factors is drastically wrong in how this fixture was marketed / publicized.

I recall watching many Under 21 fixtures, some perhaps 10 years ago now at the Racecourse - attendances were certainly better in previous years but low profile publicity and media attention combined with the kick off time have not helped.

If UEFA have set the kick off time there needs to be some representation with a view to change so far more people can realistically attend such fixtures - we in North Wales always come a distant second to those in the south - but this is about the same level as the after meal crumbs off the banqueting tablecloth.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The kick off time is a bit silly. I used to watch the Wales U21's years ago. Always advertised well. Usually in the leader, club website etc. Had no idea that there was a match on last night or on Tuesday.

The Germany game might be worth a watch

Bigmike 7th September 2019 17.57:03

In my opinion BBC wales let the age group football teams down big style. It would be very easy for them to promote games but they don't seem to do that. Apologies to BBC Wales if I am wrong and they do indeed promote such matches. However I have not seen or heard them do it.

Mr Wonderful 7th September 2019 18.15:15

[QUOTE=Bigmike;2290762]In my opinion BBC wales let the age group football teams down big style. It would be very easy for them to promote games but they don't seem to do that. Apologies to BBC Wales if I am wrong and they do indeed promote such matches. However I have not seen or heard them do it.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot that could have been done I think Mike, particularly by the WFA, who are pretty gormless at times.
To capture the Welsh fans of the future I feel schools should always be a major target when advertising games like this. I very much doubt posters were displayed in the towns schools who have just started a new term.
They would boost the crowd & add to the flat atmosphere.
It wouldn’t have been hard & wouldn’t have cost a lot, but it is obvious there was no will to promote it sadly.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 7th September 2019 18.58:32

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2290767]There is a lot that could have been done I think Mike, particularly by the WFA, who are pretty gormless at times.
To capture the Welsh fans of the future I feel schools should always be a major target when advertising games like this. I very much doubt posters were displayed in the towns schools who have just started a new term.
They would boost the crowd & add to the flat atmosphere.
It wouldn’t have been hard & wouldn’t have cost a lot, but it is obvious there was no will to promote it sadly.[/QUOTE]

All clubs and schools are written to to join the popular kickback scheme which entitles them to 25% of the monies collected for sales. I believe posters & information are supplied those members.

This is pushed heavily for the Men and an even bigger push has been happening of late for the Women.

Last night down in Cardiff many schools were at the game, of all those I saw getting on the coaches seemed to be South Wales based. Being a weekday game during school doesn't help, daft move by UEFA this weekend of football malarkey.

This scheme as far as I know would count for other games like those taking place in Wrexham. Now as noted these games aren't and haven't been pushed for a long while, probably the last one being Wales V England at the Racecourse 10+ years ago. Also interest beyond Bale and the gang seems very limited. In fact, even for the national side, some estimate a core of 10,000 fans, similar to little old Wrexham. As a red wall member I received information on these games months ago, likely members of the kickback scheme did too.

I've sat next to many who don't know which player is which let alone the clubs they play for, let alone turning up to the wrong sport, sporting Wales rugby shirt. I was in the coporate area last night, a great many fans stayed in the lounge throughout drinking in the bar and watching on the telly. Why? Sadly it seems that like Welsh Rugby many are just there to get that bladdered they can't stand up straight.

Which leads us on to the importance as you say of the young fans, many would put adults to shame with their Welsh football knowledge.

This is why despite fans pleading for the Belarus game to be in Wrexham it was the wrong decision. The FAW thought they knew better and it's going to cost them, the facilities aren't plush enough for them. Forget the access problems to the ground, that's b*llocks! It's no different to the Cardiff City Stadium and for sure the Principality. I was stuck in the carpark for an hour and move 10 meters in 45 minutes!

As you say gormless and if I get chance I'll get in touch with them to see what the crack is with promotion of these games. They could even give tickets away to local schools if it's got no chance of selling out and have the games tour Wales at the smaller grounds.

I mean if the WRU are able to get the BBC to promote the U20's rugby side and sell it out up in Colwyn Bay, the FAW should be able to do the same. Then again in my opinion BBC Wales are rugby obsessive.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 21.46:40.