Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th September 2019, 06.54:03   #82-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Default Re: Ayr Utd. (H) ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Not ratings as such but all in all a decent afternoons work.
Lots of fringe players and youngsters got an opportunity - hopefully they will see that if they work hard there will be opportunities for them in the future.

Formation was interesting and 'different'.

Szczpaniak made his debut in goal - had little to do in reality - a one armed save at his near post first half and tipped over a good effort in the closing stages - also saved a penalty - looked decent and his handling was sound - claimed a number of crosses.

Reverted to a 3 man defence with Lawlor at centre, Tharme to the left and Cleworth to the right - all did well marshalled by Lawlor who wasn't afraid of running direct out of defence with the ball.

Midfield consisted of Redmond, Tollitt and Barton with Rutherford on the left flank and Barnum Bobb on the right - up front was Mackintosh and Bickerstaff.

In summary I thought we should have been home and dry by the time they got their very late equaliser - we squandered a number of second half chances with poor finishing or the wrong option taken when it mattered.

Strangely I have to say Ayr were far the better footballing side - but everything that was thrown at us was defended well - they never looked like scoring until the closing stages where they could have got more than one goal. We defended very deep and seemed better and more threatening on the break.

Bickerstaff took his goal well.
Cleworth looked composed beyond his years.
Barton was solid and broke up play in a deep midfield role.
Redmond was for me very poor especially first half.
Lawlor had a good game.
Tollitt looked the most dangerous outlet and with his pace looked capable.

The downside - Mackintosh went off injured straight down the tunnel - Redmond was limping badly at the end of the game.

Szczpaniak and Lawlor were the penalty shoot out heroes.

Attendance was 1,697 with a healthy away support of 421 and no less than 11 big Ayr flags.

Mold Road stand is bloody freezing - let me back in the Tech End ASAP where the central heating is.

Somehow it was more fun than expected - winning a game with a penalty shoot out is special but as we know its dreadful to lose one.
Largely this with one or two extra observations.

Formation - I'm not convinced that the five across midfield had any more idea of their roles and responsibilities in a 3-5-2 than the three and the two do in the appalling 4-2-3-1 system.

Obviously this is all to do with coaching - or the obvious absence of it. Ok Barton nominally sat in the 'quarterback' role, but Redmond has very little positional sense and still doesnt look fit. Asking Tollitt to play other than as an out and out winger is a waste. He was lively on the ball, but I think he's wasted in our two current formations. Cries out for an easy to understand 4-4-2 to get the best out of him. Consequently we were easily pulled out of position, leaving big holes in areas of the pitch for Ayr to exploit.

However this was not as blatant as it is with the 4-2-3-1 formation where the midfield are just not drilled effectively to play this way. Its a really tough formation to execute - watch Tottenham, even they cant do it properly.

If you play 3-5-2 the full backs are key and Barnum & Bailey and Rutherford struggled to do be effective. Rutherford possibly as he was in an unfamiliar position and Barnum because he is truly hopeless. Felt sorry for Cleworth having to constantly cover for him and then never having in the right place for a decent out ball. You could often see Barnum stood thinking WTF am I meant to do now and despite his limitations, that is mostly down to a lack of coaching and drilling in of the system.

Thought the back three did ok. Lawlor did organise them well and needs to be back in the first team in place of Chambers (who I don't think is half as bad as many do!) But Ayr were a disappointment. I don't think they were at full strength, but they looked National League 'light' to me.

Still, a wins a win and I want to win every game Wrexham take part in. Waterford or Raith Rovers next would be good trips. Would be exceed the 450 odd that Ayr brought with them? Not judging by some of the negativity on here!
Old 8th September 2019, 07.39:32   #83-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend
Twitter: @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieDragon View Post
Largely this with one or two extra observations.

Formation - I'm not convinced that the five across midfield had any more idea of their roles and responsibilities in a 3-5-2 than the three and the two do in the appalling 4-2-3-1 system.
We have to ditch 4231 immediately it’s very poor IMO and for me doesn’t work at this level. Results seem to show this. Ditch it or ditch CD and BH.

If we’re going 433 then that should be it.
Stop isolating the CF. I think most of us would agree. N’est pas.

This means that we need the holding midfield general to anchor the 3 man midfield IMO. And NO not like the Mark Griffiths column suggests Akil Wright is not the answer.
It’s a replacement for Walker we need. I thought BH brought in Barton for the job. If he isn’t good enough then replace him.
Young seems to have an eye for goal and if Redmond had any form then maybe we could be more creative.

JJ, a fit Tollitt plus 1 as the 3 option.

Amen

Last edited by pagl; 8th September 2019 at 07.41:50..
Old 8th September 2019, 07.49:23   #84-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy red View Post
Based on those attendance figures and the attitude of many on here, I'm sure Ayr supporters are entitled to call Wrexham a tinpot club!
Well it is a bit tinpot isn’t it. By the time we kick off next Saturday there is a real chance that we will be in the bottom four. Meanwhile , some fans are getting very excited about losing another Saturday in the near future in order to play in some half baked cup competition. I sometimes wonder whether for some the prospect of a trip away and all day drinking is actually more important than Wrexham FC.
Old 8th September 2019, 07.57:32   #85-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Well it is a bit tinpot isn’t it. By the time we kick off next Saturday there is a real chance that we will be in the bottom four. Meanwhile , some fans are getting very excited about losing another Saturday in the near future in order to play in some half baked cup competition. I sometimes wonder whether for some the prospect of a trip away and all day drinking is actually more important than Wrexham FC.
All the league position signifies at this stage of the season is that our start hasnt been particularly good. We've played 10% less games than everyone else.
Old 8th September 2019, 08.04:13   #86-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
All the league position signifies at this stage of the season is that our start hasnt been particularly good. We've played 10% less games than everyone else.
It’s getting on for a quarter of the season though. If we win the game missed yesterday we will still be in the bottom half. The focus should be on getting these games played , picking up points and avoiding getting dragged into a potentially disastrous situation. Furthermore home games postponed on Saturdays are changed to less lucrative Tuesday night slots.
Old 8th September 2019, 08.11:49   #87-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Bamfords/excutive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
It’s getting on for a quarter of the season though. If we win the game missed yesterday we will still be in the bottom half. The focus should be on getting these games played , picking up points and avoiding getting dragged into a potentially disastrous situation. Furthermore home games postponed on Saturdays are changed to less lucrative Tuesday night slots.
Yesterday we would have played away, so actually we are better off, don't know when the next round is, but if we were supposed to have an away league fixture again, its better again.
Old 8th September 2019, 08.18:39   #88-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: MRS, ex-kopite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejackoinsaudi View Post
Our league form is crap so how can winning a game with mostly fringe players be a bad thing.
Because every time we play we have to miss a league game. We lose ground on other teams and could get sucked into a relegation fight.
Playing catch up is hard to do plus I'd rather have our squad concentrating on our league form.

Don't get me wrong, I never want us to throw a match and if we win these games, so be it. I just feel it's not the ideal situation for us to continue in it.

Last edited by Ooh aah Paskin; 8th September 2019 at 08.24:25..
Old 8th September 2019, 08.19:16   #89-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirral Red View Post
Inverness away would be good.
Positives from today - a few young lads had a first team experience , a few quid in the bank.
Why do so many posters on here post nothing but negative crap?
Glad you asked “Why do so many posters” and not “Why do so many supporters”, because they are clearly not the latter.
Old 8th September 2019, 08.19:44   #90-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

What I want to know is how the linesman missed their number 11's stupid/naughty kick at the Keepers head. Should have been a (daft) red so poetic justice he missed their pen
Posted via mobile theme
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.48:00.