RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Laighton (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114465-laighton.html)

Phils-an-alki 9th September 2019 09.47:24

Re: Laighton

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2291173]I actually think the Newell one is defendable. The manager at the time wanted him and the board backed him.

Appointing Barrow was the problem in hindsight.[/QUOTE]

Now you're just trying to get a bite. Nice try. :coolgleamA:

Get It Forward 9th September 2019 10.15:37

[QUOTE=thedischunter96;2291146]Agree, but there will be some who will say "at least we still have a club"[/QUOTE]

" We should be ' enjoying' the last 12 years "
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Foxy 9th September 2019 10.20:19

[QUOTE=Get It Forward;2291179]" We should be ' enjoying' the last 12 years "
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

I don’t care where we finish in the league as long as I can go on a piss up in Inverness.

andy buckley 9th September 2019 10.28:17

[QUOTE=Foxy;2291180]I don’t care where we finish in the league as long as I can go on a piss up in Inverness.[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit first rounds on you

John Neals Dynasty 9th September 2019 10.39:14

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2291151]They did though, on here, defended that epic brain fart to the hilt. It didn't take much adding up to realise that was a disastrous appointment.[/QUOTE]

Oh i know I was circled by the wagons for repeating what I overheard and seen myself with Newell looking confused standing around on the pitch during pre- match warm up... They thought he was great.

Nothing will change here because we are run by the same as those on the wagon with the whips an inward looking club absolutely terrified of the past, all we need as already been mentioned is to look at the Swansea model a club we were once bigger than.

Fog mentions Bury in years to come they will probably be reformed and waving to us as they go past.

basdragon 9th September 2019 10.43:56

I don't come on here much anymore and this thread is a reminder why.
Thanks for the Lainton update ha ha

fezbob 9th September 2019 10.57:53

[QUOTE=basdragon;2291190]I don't come on here much anymore and this thread is a reminder why.
Thanks for the Lainton update ha ha[/QUOTE]

Thanks for coming on here to tell us you don't come on here anymore.

Phils-an-alki 9th September 2019 11.13:19

[QUOTE=fezbob;2291194]Thanks for coming on here to tell us you don't come on here anymore.

:crampe:

Ooh aah Paskin 9th September 2019 12.25:12

[QUOTE=fezbob;2291194]Thanks for coming on here to tell us you don't come on here anymore.

:hurray:

BillEBadass 9th September 2019 14.39:03

Thanks to fezbob for thanking basdragon for telling us he doesn't come on here anymore.

KingBuxton_Forever red 9th September 2019 15.04:28

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2291174]Now you're just trying to get a bite. Nice try. :coolgleamA:[/QUOTE]

Genuinely wasn't.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We can look back at his appointment and how utters bonkers he was (what did he do?) but at the time if Barrow wanted him and pitched him as an improvement then surely we had to go with what he wanted.

If we didn't back the manager at the time, the board would be criticized if it came out we appointment Barrow but didn't give him what he wanted.

One thing we can say, is the Wrexham board always back their managers well. Granted, they may have picked the wrong manager, but they back him fair play.

Phils-an-alki 9th September 2019 15.28:12

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2291244]Genuinely wasn't.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We can look back at his appointment and how utters bonkers he was (what did he do?) but at the time if Barrow wanted him and pitched him as an improvement then surely we had to go with what he wanted.

If we didn't back the manager at the time, the board would be criticized if it came out we appointment Barrow but didn't give him what he wanted.

One thing we can say, is the Wrexham board always back their managers well. Granted, they may have picked the wrong manager, but they back him fair play.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they already know GB wanted out when they appointed Newell though?

I'm not sure you needed hindsight to realise Newell was high risk, and substantially more high risk than most. As I said at the time out of all the coaches and assistant's out there, we pick him. It was crazy. I don't care that GB really wanted him. If your manager asks for an assistant like that then alarm bells should be ringing and it should be questioned, it would be perfectly reasonably considering the stuff Newell has said and done.

Not sold on this the board always back the manager thing either. They didn't back Ricketts for example. They undermined Wilkin and hung him out to dry. Morrell's last season, when you have to resort to signing N'Tame, you ain't being backed.

Picking the wrong manager is like buying a fcked car then throwing money at it when in reality you should just cut your losses. That rings true today, which is just another example of people in charge being way out of their depth.

Prodigal Dragon 9th September 2019 15.50:20

When will Lainton be fit? And does he have any friends?

KingBuxton_Forever red 9th September 2019 15.59:25

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2291257]Didn't they already know GB wanted out when they appointed Newell though?

I'm not sure you needed hindsight to realise Newell was high risk, and substantially more high risk than most. As I said at the time out of all the coaches and assistant's out there, we pick him. It was crazy. I don't care that GB really wanted him. If your manager asks for an assistant like that then alarm bells should be ringing and it should be questioned, it would be perfectly reasonably considering the stuff Newell has said and done.

Not sold on this the board always back the manager thing either. They didn't back Ricketts for example. They undermined Wilkin and hung him out to dry. Morrell's last season, when you have to resort to signing N'Tame, you ain't being backed.

Picking the wrong manager is like buying a fcked car then throwing money at it when in reality you should just cut your losses. That rings true today, which is just another example of people in charge being way out of their depth.[/QUOTE]

If they knew that Barrow was on his way out when they appointed him then fair enough. No defending it.

If not, my point still stands. You (or I) didn't/don't know what the relationship is/was between Barrow and and Newell or what Barrow said at the time. If Barrow made a case and Barrow was to be our man, who are we to say "actually no, you cant have him have this fella." In fact, if you found out that we were forcing your best mate Darlington on people (if we aren't doing that already) you would be frothing at the mouth.

I am interested to listen to how the board don't back managers? Did we force N'Tame on Morrell did we, because you must know more than I do? How did they not back Ricketts? Genuine question.

I appreciate the anology on buying a broken car, god knows I have been there myself often enough (if you want a knackered old Mondeo I genuinely have one for sale) but Barrow was a fresh appointment at that time. You dont ditch the car at the first sign of trouble, you at least let it leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere a handful of times.

Its dead easy to sit here and look at the Newell appointment and pick holes, because it was THAT bad. 20 years from now we will look back on it like we look back on Tom Taylor. Bonkers.

tokyored 9th September 2019 16.04:17

Newell signed the day after Barrow signed.

Phils-an-alki 9th September 2019 16.11:18

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2291269]If they knew that Barrow was on his way out when they appointed him then fair enough. No defending it.

If not, my point still stands. You (or I) didn't/don't know what the relationship is/was between Barrow and and Newell or what Barrow said at the time. If Barrow made a case and Barrow was to be our man, who are we to say "actually no, you cant have him have this fella." In fact, if you found out that we were forcing your best mate Darlington on people (if we aren't doing that already) you would be frothing at the mouth.

I am interested to listen to how the board don't back managers? Did we force N'Tame on Morrell did we, because you must know more than I do? How did they not back Ricketts? Genuine question.

I appreciate the anology on buying a broken car, god knows I have been there myself often enough (if you want a knackered old Mondeo I genuinely have one for sale) but Barrow was a fresh appointment at that time. You dont ditch the car at the first sign of trouble, you at least let it leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere a handful of times.

Its dead easy to sit here and look at the Newell appointment and pick holes, because it was THAT bad. 20 years from now we will look back on it like we look back on Tom Taylor. Bonkers.[/QUOTE]

I picked numerous holes in it at the time though, it was just as easy to do then as it is now. 1

I'm fine for knackered old Mondeo's thanks!

Do you really think AM looked at N'Tame and thought, 'hes the man I want in defence'? Come on. He had no money hence he had no choice which shows he was not backed.

Ricketts wasn't backed when he wanted rid of CD and that was I believe the beginning of the end for him here. On top of that I believe that there was no attempt to keep him here when Shrewsbury came sniffing. But this depends on who's version of events you believe. From what I have been told the club didn't do anywhere near enough. I realise fans like to think the club is flawless in that whole sorry episode but when you step back its almost certain we ain't been told the full story.

flintshirefan 9th September 2019 16.18:00

Anyway back to the subject ... lainton any news on injury ?

KingBuxton_Forever red 9th September 2019 16.22:47

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2291272]I picked numerous holes in it at the time though, it was just as easy to do then as it is now. 1

I'm fine for knackered old Mondeo's thanks!

Do you really think AM looked at N'Tame and thought, 'hes the man I want in defence'? Come on. He had no money hence he had no choice which shows he was not backed.

Ricketts wasn't backed when he wanted rid of CD and that was I believe the beginning of the end for him here. On top of that I believe that there was no attempt to keep him here when Shrewsbury came sniffing. But this depends on who's version of events you believe. From what I have been told the club didn't do anywhere near enough. I realise fans like to think the club is flawless in that whole sorry episode but when you step back its almost certain we ain't been told the full story.[/QUOTE]

You were one of the few who spoke up about MN, that is correct and you have been proven bang on in this instance. All I was saying is surely we had to back Barrow at the time, surely? Neither of us REALLY knew MN or what he was about.

So to confirm re N'Tame,are you saying he was signed behind Morrell's back? Or Morrell had blown his budget on other players who weren't up to it? Or are you saying the board had a bottomless pit of money they should have delved into? I dont think you can point to his signing as an example of the board not backing the manager. Morrell appeared hopeless in the transfer market, I would suggest that has more to do with it.

Re Ricketts, again you seem to know more than me. The version I was aware of, is he was working with someone already at Shrewsbury to try and wangle a move. They knew an awful lot of detail about his contract for example. If he wanted to go to Shrewsbury, in my opinion, he has to go. Even more so if he has been working towards the move himself.

You cant say I am not critical of the current regime or that they have been flawless before. I have often said they appear to be trying the right things for the right reasons, but its just not working and they need somebody with a football background to assist. The Barrow situation was a mess, and probably cost us promotion. As I have said before though, Barrow for me deserves a lot of criticism for it also.

pricey 9th September 2019 16.44:11

So, how's Rob lainton getting on?

Percy Sugden 9th September 2019 17.07:30

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2291280]You were one of the few who spoke up about MN, that is correct and you have been proven bang on in this instance. All I was saying is surely we had to back Barrow at the time, surely? Neither of us REALLY knew MN or what he was about.

So to confirm re N'Tame,are you saying he was signed behind Morrell's back? Or Morrell had blown his budget on other players who weren't up to it? Or are you saying the board had a bottomless pit of money they should have delved into? I dont think you can point to his signing as an example of the board not backing the manager. Morrell appeared hopeless in the transfer market, I would suggest that has more to do with it.

Re Ricketts, again you seem to know more than me. The version I was aware of, is he was working with someone already at Shrewsbury to try and wangle a move. They knew an awful lot of detail about his contract for example. If he wanted to go to Shrewsbury, in my opinion, he has to go. Even more so if he has been working towards the move himself.

You cant say I am not critical of the current regime or that they have been flawless before. I have often said they appear to be trying the right things for the right reasons, but its just not working and they need somebody with a football background to assist. The Barrow situation was a mess, and probably cost us promotion. As I have said before though, Barrow for me deserves a lot of criticism for it also.[/QUOTE]

Morrell had an impossible task. He was trying to replace good players with cheaper alternatives when our “playing budget” was slashed. At no moment did anyone’s expectation drop. It’s no coincidence that we haven’t seen a team as good as the one that was built by Saunders, and then managed by Morrell since.

Even before the Barrow situation, there have been strange appointments. Gary Mills the assistant? Sacked as a player from a previous club! Andy Davies? Another stupid appointment that cost us.

Jonesy’s bar - a spectacular Wrexham media campaign for a slab of concrete and a stainless steal shelf. They couldn’t even be arsed to put some proper lighting under there. Another miserable effort by all involved.

I could go on and on about the mistakes made. It really pisses me off.

NottsRed 9th September 2019 17.40:19

[QUOTE=pricey;2291286]So, how's Rob lainton getting on?[/QUOTE]

I heard at the County game from someone who works at the club he would be out for three months. So back mid November if there is no other issues. Same person also told me Manny will not be back and that his career is over, the infection he has suffered has wasted all the muscles in his knee

Percy Sugden 9th September 2019 17.46:58

[QUOTE=NottsRed;2291296]I heard at the County game from someone who works at the club he would be out for three months. So back mid November if there is no other issues. Same person also told me Manny will not be back and that his career is over, the infection he has suffered has wasted all the muscles in his knee[/QUOTE]

Nah mate. He’s training on grass next week!:jester:

blackbrookred 9th September 2019 19.02:15

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2291297]Nah mate. He’s training on grass next week!:jester:[/QUOTE]

That's what the board have been told.

Percy Sugden 9th September 2019 19.23:46

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2291310]That's what the board have been told.[/QUOTE]

Let’s hope whoever has leaked this to the bored is right. If he’s out much longer we’ll have get someone in on loan.

Colomiers Phoenix 9th September 2019 19.52:35

[QUOTE=flintshirefan;2291277]Anyway back to the subject ... lainton any news on injury ?[/QUOTE]

how dare you try to get back on topic . Surely you must realise that other agendas take precedence - it's not as if the same old shite hasn't been trotted out on every other bloody thread for the past God knows how long

blackbrookred 9th September 2019 21.09:31

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2291318]Let’s hope whoever has leaked this to the bored is right. If he’s out much longer we’ll have get someone in on loan.[/QUOTE]

It's no leak. I simply asked Spencer Harris on Twitter.

benwilliams 9th September 2019 21.18:32

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2291354]It's no leak. I simply asked Spencer Harris on Twitter.[/QUOTE]

I asked him a few weeks ago how much time Flynn spends at the club and didnt get an answer. He is too busy tweeting about Amber Rudd

Ooh aah Paskin 10th September 2019 09.34:38

I had heard the 3 month rumour about Lainton too. hope its just that, a rumour.

Phils-an-alki 11th September 2019 10.02:06

[QUOTE=benwilliams;2291356]I asked him a few weeks ago how much time Flynn spends at the club and didnt get an answer. He is too busy tweeting about Amber Rudd[/QUOTE]

#transparent

Wrexham_fan_4eva! 11th September 2019 10.03:55

one step forward three steps back, from a director

moldroadred 11th September 2019 10.12:37

[QUOTE=Ooh aah Paskin;2291407]I had heard the 3 month rumour about Lainton too. hope its just that, a rumour.[/QUOTE]

You don't recover from that injury in a couple of weeks!
6 weeks healing then you have to build up muscle strength

Ooh aah Paskin 11th September 2019 10.14:26

[QUOTE=moldroadred;2291699]You don't recover from that injury in a couple of weeks!
6 weeks healing then you have to build up muscle strength[/QUOTE]

I don't know what his injury was/is.
All I know is he was on the bench once then out of the squad again. That's when I heard the out for 3 months rumour (so back end of November).

I was just hoping it was a rumour....

Clearly not. :(

Redordead 11th September 2019 12.55:00

Bryan Hughes delivered a squad update as Wrexham prepare to return to National League action at home to Sutton United.

Speaking to the media ahead of Saturday evening’s televised fixture at the Racecourse, Hughes confirmed the progress of long-term casualties Rob Lainton and Manny Smith.

And he also delivered an update on the striker situation, with a number of attacking players having been up knocks in recent matches.

On Lainton, Hughes said: “Rob’s coming along OK. The diagnosis at the start of pre-season was that it could be anything between three and 12 weeks, and it’s more like the 12 weeks now.

“He’s not far off. We had him on the bench recently but that was due to cover. The day before the game, Dawid got concussed in training so we had to rest him – at that point, Rob was about 70-75 per cent but he was willing to go on the bench for us just in case we needed him.

“It gave Dawid the time to recover from his concussion as he’s not allowed to do anything for seven days [per regulations].

“Rob’s had an injection to clear the last bit out and that’s hopefully been successful – he’s stepping up his gym work this week and we’ll hopefully get him back on the grass next week.”

Prior to the season, Hughes stated it would be a bonus to see Manny Smith back in action before Christmas and he confirmed that is still the case.

“Manny’s a work in progress,” he added. “He’s had a bit of an ordeal as we know and he’s getting monitored on more of a monthly basis.

“He’s just stepping it up now into gym work – he lost a lot of muscle over these months he’s been out so it’s about building back up and seeing how he progresses.”

Hughes also played down fears of a striker shortage ahead of the Sutton United clash, particularly with Mark Harris back from international duty.

“We’ve had a few people on the sidelines,” Hughes explained. “JJ Hooper obviously got injured against Hartlepool and he’s struggling a little bit [with a hip flexor injury].

“Leighton McIntosh came off with a back injury [against Ayr] and Jason Oswell has been injured from the previous game with a hip flexor. We’ve given them the best opportunities to get recovery into them.”

On his attacking choices, he added: “I’m not afraid to turn to the youth. Jake is still a bit raw at times, but he knows how to finish, and he gets into good goalscoring positions.

“If an opportunity arises, if our strikers aren’t quite fit, I’d have no worries choosing Jake.

“Also, Mark Harris is coming back into the fold and has been playing number nine for Wales Under-21s – and playing well – so he gives us another option. We’ve got other options as well, including Bobby Grant for example.”

The match against Sutton United kicks off at 5.20pm on Saturday September 14.

EnglishRed 11th September 2019 13.29:25

[QUOTE=Redordead;2291728]Bryan Hughes delivered a squad update as Wrexham prepare to return to National League action at home to Sutton United.

Speaking to the media ahead of Saturday evening’s televised fixture at the Racecourse, Hughes confirmed the progress of long-term casualties Rob Lainton and Manny Smith.

And he also delivered an update on the striker situation, with a number of attacking players having been up knocks in recent matches.

On Lainton, Hughes said: “Rob’s coming along OK. The diagnosis at the start of pre-season was that it could be anything between three and 12 weeks, and it’s more like the 12 weeks now.

“He’s not far off. We had him on the bench recently but that was due to cover. The day before the game, Dawid got concussed in training so we had to rest him – at that point, Rob was about 70-75 per cent but he was willing to go on the bench for us just in case we needed him.

“It gave Dawid the time to recover from his concussion as he’s not allowed to do anything for seven days [per regulations].

“Rob’s had an injection to clear the last bit out and that’s hopefully been successful – he’s stepping up his gym work this week and we’ll hopefully get him back on the grass next week.”

Prior to the season, Hughes stated it would be a bonus to see Manny Smith back in action before Christmas and he confirmed that is still the case.

“Manny’s a work in progress,” he added. “He’s had a bit of an ordeal as we know and he’s getting monitored on more of a monthly basis.

“He’s just stepping it up now into gym work – he lost a lot of muscle over these months he’s been out so it’s about building back up and seeing how he progresses.”

Hughes also played down fears of a striker shortage ahead of the Sutton United clash, particularly with Mark Harris back from international duty.

“We’ve had a few people on the sidelines,” Hughes explained. “JJ Hooper obviously got injured against Hartlepool and he’s struggling a little bit [with a hip flexor injury].

“Leighton McIntosh came off with a back injury [against Ayr] and Jason Oswell has been injured from the previous game with a hip flexor. We’ve given them the best opportunities to get recovery into them.”

On his attacking choices, he added: “I’m not afraid to turn to the youth. Jake is still a bit raw at times, but he knows how to finish, and he gets into good goalscoring positions.

“If an opportunity arises, if our strikers aren’t quite fit, I’d have no worries choosing Jake.

“Also, Mark Harris is coming back into the fold and has been playing number nine for Wales Under-21s – and playing well – so he gives us another option. We’ve got other options as well, including Bobby Grant for example.”

The match against Sutton United kicks off at 5.20pm on Saturday September 14.[/QUOTE]

When you look at our injury list, Lainton, Smith, Hooper and even Oswell are pretty significant players to be without. Let's hope we get Hooper and Lainton back soon atthe very least.

KingBuxton_Forever red 11th September 2019 13.45:08

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2291739]When you look at our injury list, Lainton, Smith, Hooper and even Oswell are pretty significant players to be without. Let's hope we get Hooper and Lainton back soon atthe very least.[/QUOTE]

Exactly that.

Hooper and Lainton you would say are two of our best players (along with Pearson) so they are a massive miss.

I rate Manny Smith over Chambers and Lawlor as well, but I suppose that is a whole other story, and people continue to say he is done.

benwilliams 11th September 2019 15.55:23

Good update, hope all are back sooner rather than later but dknt want to rush them and risk further injury.

We have had as much bad luck as bad play this season in my view.

Hopefully we get to see Manny back at some point, encouraging it isnt being talked about officially as a career ending injury albeit that may of course still be the fear privately.

joe 11th September 2019 16.18:35

Can’t help but think we may not have so many injuries in one position if we had a full-time management team who focused more on fitness. The strikers are then expected to do a job of two men upfront. No wonder they’re hurting themselves.

OneLoveWrexham 11th September 2019 16.22:34

No issues with Lainton as we have the best number 2 in the league playing a blinder at the moment.

benwilliams 11th September 2019 16.24:11

[QUOTE=joe;2291770]Can’t help but think we may not have so many injuries in one position if we had a full-time management team who focused more on fitness. The strikers are then expected to do a job of two men upfront. No wonder they’re hurting themselves.[/QUOTE]

Dont we have a fitness coach though? Defo used to

subbuteorob 11th September 2019 16.45:42

Jake B scored two today so maybe he should be given a chance on the bench.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.09:32.