RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Would an apology from Dean Keates ease tensions? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114702-would-apology-dean-keates-ease-tensions.html)

northwalian dragon 8th October 2019 23.09:15

Would an apology from Dean Keates ease tensions?

I had this debate before the match tonight and I'd love for some more opinions

In Keates' unveiling interview he states things like:

"it's in the past, it's behind us"
"what's happened in the past is in the past"
"I don't want to speak too much previously"
"What's happened has happened"

Plus an interesting quote from Dixie who said that Keates had stated in his interview that "He didn't really walk out on the football club"

To me it is disrespectful and arrogant of him to take the viewpoint that the fans should just forget the way in which he walked out given everything the club and the fans had done for him.

He was club captain for 5 years, knew first hand the pain of Wrexham fans being out of the football league, never managed to finish the job as a player, was well paid during his last years of his career, was able to play and study his coaching degree through the scheme the club put on, the club funded said degree, the club gave him his first big break in management, they provided him with full support, they provided him with an increased budget for an inexperienced manager such was the trust they showed him, the fans raised over £100,000 out of their own pockets through a scheme the fans divised due to the trust they had in him

He left with weeks to go having not completed a full season as manager.

Many fans do not welcome him back, but how many would feel less anger towards him should he publically apologise to supporters?

He would certainly have more backing from me if he were to apologise. I don't believe in giving second chances for the sake of the saying. If someone is man enough to admit to their mistakes, admit they were wrong and apologise it would go a long way to ease tensions in my opinion. Keates's first interview back at Wrexham showed no ounce of regret or sympathy towards Wrexham fans, hopefully that is quickly resolved.

What are your thoughts?

Would an apology repair some of the damage?

Do you think Keates would be willing to give one?

Funny_Old_Game 8th October 2019 23.22:41

Re: Would an apology from Dean Keates ease tensions?

No and nor should he, it’s a business at the end of the day.

An apology from the board for their conduct recently wouldn’t go amiss though.

Huffy 8th October 2019 23.26:35

I think the article in the Shropshire Star was bordering on an apology !

I have always said , its what he will say and do that will define his second tenure

pagl 9th October 2019 00.13:54

An apology for the players, his lack of subs, his negative tactics, his appointment of CD and AD would go further.

Connahs Quay Guy 9th October 2019 03.49:14

Sorry, but why should he apologise?

He was offered a job 2 levels higher, at his boyhood club and no doubt on significantly more money. We're a non league club ffs.

joe 9th October 2019 04.40:13

If I went to a different job on double pay, and it didn’t work out so I went back to my old job then I wouldn’t apologise nor would anyone else.

-luke 9th October 2019 04.55:22

No, and i think it would create a weird dynamic. I dont really think he did much wrong... Look higher for the people who should be apologising

Colonel D 9th October 2019 05.46:38

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2306310]No and nor should he, it’s a business at the end of the day.

An apology from the board for their conduct recently wouldn’t go amiss though.[/QUOTE]

Agree let’s move on and judge him on his performance over the rest of the season.
Barton’s comments about learning more in one afternoon with Keates say everything about BHs motivational skills and his appointment.

Willywill 9th October 2019 06.14:08

Dean keates is a professional footballer/manager. He will work wherever the deal or prospects are best for him and his family. When he left us 18 months ago, he did what 99% of managers would have done - he is no money grabbing monster. Rickets did somewhat similar, that’s football today. It’s not like the 1960’s when some staff stayed at clubs for their entire career.
I am happy with my employer, but if a rival company rang me and offered me 30% more money, better car and pension, I would be mad not to be interested. We forget- it only fans who stay with their club for life. It’s not realistic to believe that players/managers will show any form of loyalty.
I am unhappy with the Keates appointment, because I wanted an outsider with new ideas. It’s not his fault that he is here - that’s a decision the board took.

Percy Sugden 9th October 2019 06.19:23

It’s not for dean to apologise... all he’s down is grasp at an opportunity.

It’s for the board to apologise for their rather unsavoury behaviour and lies. I won’t be setting foot in the ground again unless there is a proper explanation into previous recruitment and an apology to the DSA as a minimum. Whoever was responsible for the emails to the DSA needs to walk away from their position.

rob_1072 9th October 2019 06.52:12

Imagine if a higher club comes in for one of our players (haha I know it’s unlikely) but he’ll have no chance of keeping him, it’ll be like giggs having a go at wales players who miss friendlys.

Prodigal Dragon 9th October 2019 06.56:18

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2306329]Agree let’s move on and judge him on his performance over the rest of the season.
Barton’s comments about learning more in one afternoon with Keates say everything about BHs motivational skills and his appointment.[/QUOTE]

Agree.

DK had very little time to influence last night’s mediocre display — his reluctance to introduce subs earlier on was a slight worry — but he now has time and a ‘freebie’ on Saturday to better prepare for the Chesterfield head-to-heads. Hopefully they won’t be drawers!

No need to apologise unless the mediocrity continues.

moynkeepthefaith 9th October 2019 07.16:54

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2306342]Agree.

DK had very little time to influence last night’s mediocre display — his reluctance to introduce subs earlier on was a slight worry — but he now has time and a ‘freebie’ on Saturday to better prepare for the Chesterfield head-to-heads. Hopefully they won’t be drawers!

No need to apologise unless the mediocrity continues.[/QUOTE]

I agree and it’s all academic as he will never do such a thing.
Time to move on as the vast majority clearly wanted to last night.
Talking to other supporters before the game none of us would have selected Keates but also tellingly none of us had a stand out alternative but we all agreed that BH was an awful selection who was clearly out of his depth.
Then we got on with encouraging the team.

EnglishRed 9th October 2019 07.27:00

Not at all. As others have said you wouldn't be expected to apologise in any other profession. He's back now and we need to judge him on what he does now.

Some people need to move on.

Jaded 9th October 2019 07.30:46

The only apology I would want is for him to finish the job and get promotion. I don’t think that’s likely this season, but hopefully he can sow the seeds for a title challenge next time around. That would be far more meaningful than any words could be.

redmatt 9th October 2019 07.39:29

Move on, why should he apologise. What’s done is done.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Burgerboy 9th October 2019 07.40:29

What on earth has he got to apologise for?

Phils-an-alki 9th October 2019 07.41:21

This is aimed at the wrong person(s). I didn't blame BH for taking this job when offered it and the same applies to Keates however much he shit on the club and fans by leaving when he did.

We all know who the people are at the club that need to start apologising and explaining themselves, sadly this will never happen with their jaw dropping arrogance and being pissed on their own importance.

Foxy 9th October 2019 07.58:09

What would improve things is an apology from the chair of the owners (on behalf of the owners) and from the chair of the club board, for failing to deliver over a period of 8 years. Followed by a commitment to appeal to private investors to take control of at least 49% of the club and possibly all of it.

Wxm boy 9th October 2019 08.00:13

No, he had good reasons for leaving. Id like an apology from the board for 4 of the last 5 managerial appointments though.

KingBuxton_Forever red 9th October 2019 08.04:29

I would have less respect for him if he apologized. He wasnt sorry, he made the decision for the right reasons, and taking my Wrexham tinted specs off I dont blame him.

I dont know why people take it so personally.

mattw 9th October 2019 08.11:06

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2306373]I would have less respect for him if he apologized. He wasnt sorry, he made the decision for the right reasons, and taking my Wrexham tinted specs off I dont blame him.

I dont know why people take it so personally.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Just let him dig in and try and stop us being shit

Back of the Kop 9th October 2019 08.25:20

My issue isn't really with Keates.

My issue is with the board and that's the reason I've not been this season.

They are wrecking the club.The only way they will listen is if the fans temporarily cut off the money supply.Then they HAVE to listen.

Shouting abuse at an empty directors box protected by a bunch of meat heads will get us nowhere.

Bringing Keates and Davies back then throwing Dixie under the bus is just the cherry on the cake for me.

LlayDragon 9th October 2019 08.39:18

No.

Coming back here was a cracking appointment for him, no bugger else would have him. He could also appointment his buddy Davies and be re-united with Sensei Darlington.

Appologies need to come from the club board and WST board, but pigs might fly.

To all intents and purposes we're no different to any privately owned club which doesn't own it's ground, training facilities and doesn't have any money.

Inside Left 9th October 2019 08.41:12

[QUOTE=Connahs Quay Guy;2306321]Sorry, but why should he apologise?

He was offered a job 2 levels higher, at his boyhood club and no doubt on significantly more money. We're a non league club ffs.[/QUOTE]

Agree its just business and he was attracted by more money, higher league and new contract.

As for boyhood club - I think not - Remember this is the man who walked out on them to join Peterborough under controversial circumstances. But thats the nature of football.
In my book they are all on temporary contracts. one way or another.:)

You just hope that this latest 'spin of the wheel of fortune' works for Wrexham.

podders 9th October 2019 08.46:25

No apology needed, just get us out of the relegation dog fight by Christmas and see where we can go from there.

CRUMBS 9th October 2019 09.06:17

Any person who leaves a club with the possibility of winning promotion as manager is very short sighted , he went for the money end of , but look how it turned out , failure . Now through a complete lack of effort , vision , fear , cheapness our board bring him back , they couldn't even do that decently , they now are surrounded by security at home , they must be so proud of themselves , a fans owned club .

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 9th October 2019 10.46:19

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2306329]Agree let’s move on and judge him on his performance over the rest of the season.
Barton’s comments about learning more in one afternoon with Keates say everything about BHs motivational skills and his appointment.[/QUOTE]

The same BH who was given a 3 year contract by our illustrious board

Now talking about apologies..

Willywill 9th October 2019 10.55:34

You’ve gotta laugh - “he walked out on them” (Walsall, when he was a player). He most probably joined Peterborough for a hefty signing on fee and a much better salary. Isn’t that we all do with our careers? I just cannot see why he should have stayed at Walsall when a new chapter of his life was about to unfold.
Did we bleat when Joey Jones and Mickey Thomas left here for bigger clubs in the 70’s? Good luck to them.

John Neals Dynasty 9th October 2019 10.57:44

No he should not have to apologise infact in his amateurish interview he was smirking when mentioned about his leaving with a oh it's all in the past.

But no he shouldn't have to apologise that's ridiculous.

But those at the top tables should be for all their continuous mistakes... But Hell will freeze over before those Ego Trippers do that.

Maybe as the crowds continue to drop they might realise they need to seek outside investment before we go to the wall.

Ugolini 9th October 2019 11.09:56

[QUOTE=Burgerboy;2306360]What on earth has he got to apologise for?[/QUOTE]

Agree, For goodness sake let's all move on. The past is gone!!

dagg 9th October 2019 11.27:47

I don't have a problem with him leaving to better himself,
But I don't think we should have appointed him as manager because I think their are better managers outthere, (I don't know who applied) he was the easiest option.

Phils-an-alki 9th October 2019 11.37:49

Can someone explain how the fck Darlington is still at the club?

John Neals Dynasty 9th October 2019 11.42:41

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2306449]Can someone explain how the fck Darlington is still at the club?[/QUOTE]

Easy to explain Keates brought him back here when he first got the job and he also wanted him at Walsall. It's the same lot a poor goalkeeper coach a PE teacher as assistant and Keates.

Chief 9th October 2019 11.43:05

I do not agree on the appointment for a number of reasons;
[LIST][*]His lack of success as a manager[*]His boring tactics[*]Can't think of a manager that has returned to a club and been successful. There's not many.[*]Questions over his loyalty[/LIST]
I hope I am proven wrong and I will get behind him. It's just that we can remember the negative, boring football that was played last time he managed us. We pay good money and expect to be entertained. It's not felt like that for a long time.

John Neals Dynasty 9th October 2019 11.50:07

[QUOTE=Chief;2306452]I do not agree on the appointment for a number of reasons;
[LIST][*]His lack of success as a manager[*]His boring tactics[*]Can't think of a manager that has returned to a club and been successful. There's not many.[*]Questions over his loyalty[/LIST]
I hope I am proven wrong and I will get behind him. It's just that we can remember the negative, boring football that was played last time he managed us. We pay good money and expect to be entertained. It's not felt like that for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Excellent spot on post.

dixienormous 9th October 2019 12.20:53

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2306449]Can someone explain how the fck Darlington is still at the club?[/QUOTE]

I spoke to a person at the game last night who was at the first training session. He told me Keates basically told the players if they're not prepared to give a 100% at all times they would be out of the door, this was said in no uncertain terms. He also told me Darlo was there, but not involved at all in the training session, and never has been under Dean Keates.
During his first spell at the club I know for a fact Keates brought Darlo in to look after the stats and to give the players individual training programmes etc
I think this could well be the case and I can live with that.

Keates would have been the last person to get the job if I had a say, but he's here now, he did well last time and I don't blame him for leaving us to join his hometown club, two leagues above and probably trebling his wages.

I've just had enough of this arrogant board. They've failed, it's as simple as that and they should step down, the club needs a huge change of direction whether that's a slight change to the ownership structure or selling the club to the best possible candidate. Under these clowns we will never know if there are people out there. Please, just go ffs.

Phils-an-alki 9th October 2019 12.30:03

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2306475]I spoke to a person at the game last night who was at the first training session. He told me Keates basically told the players if they're not prepared to give a 100% at all times they would be out of the door, this was said in no uncertain terms. He also told me Darlo was there, but not involved at all in the training session, and never has been under Dean Keates.
During his first spell at the club I know for a fact Keates brought Darlo in to look after the stats and to give the players individual training programmes etc
I think this could well be the case and I can live with that.

Keates would have been the last person to get the job if I had a say, but he's here now, he did well last time and I don't blame him for leaving us to join his hometown club, two leagues above and probably trebling his wages.

I've just had enough of this arrogant board. They've failed, it's as simple as that and they should step down, the club needs a huge change of direction whether that's a slight change to the ownership structure or selling the club to the best possible candidate. Under these clowns we will never know if there are people out there. Please, just go ffs.[/QUOTE]

Cheers. If Darlington has been removed from training then that's good news, clearly his coaching skills are a myth that's been well and truly put to bed now.

Its good to hear DK laying down the law too. Any January departures could be an interesting insight as to which players were/are rogue.

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 9th October 2019 12.35:30

The Board surely realised how stupid they looked, having to sack Hughes. Then in their wisdom turned straightaway to Keates.. Padding it out, that they were looking for the best candidate.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Lady Luck smiles down on him, and he's successful here. He does seem to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Well at Wrexham he does anyway.

-luke 9th October 2019 12.41:43

[QUOTE=Chief;2306452]I do not agree on the appointment for a number of reasons;
I hope I am proven wrong and I will get behind him. It's just that we can remember the negative, boring football that was played last time he managed us. We pay good money and expect to be entertained. It's not felt like that for a long time.[/QUOTE]

As much as i disagree with his appointment i can see some degree of logic

Regarding lack of managerial success, had he not left i believe he would have achieved a 3rd place finish in his first full season

His tactics are boring but see last comment and also the goals scored against us that season. He would have probably delivered a midfield the folllwing season and added attacking options.

Returning managers... Disagree, mickey mellon for one.

Loyalty... There isnt any in football. Understand why he left, he acknowledges his return is a sensitive issue. Board need to hold steady on any potential contract extension until summer. He needs to earn it. I would argue a finish of 10th place is achievable.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.37:55.