Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th October 2019, 15.50:43   #1-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Massive
Twitter: @

Default Shrews / Wrexham a comparison

I was at the N Meadow earlier and had a lengthy chat with a community officer there. The whole place is impressive to be honest, excellent community programmes, conferencing and hospitality providing incomes on non match days. Fat pay cheque received after selling land to lidl supermarket, Safe standing introduced / legends flags. and the whole place had a feel of being a slick operation.
On the footballing side Ricketts has built an impressive team, including a Head of performance, development coach, gk coach, fitness coach, recruitment analyst, sports therapist

This is a club who had a plan in 2006 , selling their old ground,providing funds for years ahead.. They're reaping the rewards now, creating a competitive side in league 1.. All this under a local private owner.

By comparison , we have been a shambles over the last decade , no foresight, no long term planning ,,,

History shows Without significant funding it's highly unlikely we will leave the conference .

So how on earth do we intend to create those funds? What is our plan ?
Where do we want to be in 10 years , ? and how do we intend to get there ?

Under Fan ownership , I can't see us making any progress over the next decade
As the rumblings of discontent are beginning, I hope Us fans consider the bigger picture.
Old 30th October 2019, 15.57:17   #2-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Default Re: Shrews / Wrexham a comparison

We might have got somewhere if they hadn't pinched Ricketts.
Old 30th October 2019, 15.59:55   #3-0 (permalink)
joe
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Let’s be fair, and I dont like to say it, but they’re everything we want to be right now. Like it or not.
Old 30th October 2019, 16.01:03   #4-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Shrewsbury are a useful comparator: local, similar level fan-base and have kicked around the lower leagues for ever and a day.

They also made a fair bit of dosh from a few FA Cup runs. We had similar fortune against Brighton and Stoke, which helped pay off much of the debts.

The truth is we are living hand to mouth, and have an expensive stadium to keep going; one that doesn't generate enough revenue.

Ultimately, we are reliant on having a successful team to generate revenue through large gates. Great when we are doing well(ish) but a major stumbling block when we are served up unsuccessful and poor quality football, as we have endured for over 12 seasons without promotion.

Hats off to the fans for staying loyal for so long, but patience is now thin, and the Board are offering no cohesive plan to correct the immediate issues and then evolve to better things.

Sadly, Mr Micawber and Lady Luck have buggered off, so unsure now whether anything will actually turn up.
Old 30th October 2019, 16.04:35   #5-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthinred View Post
I was at the N Meadow earlier and had a lengthy chat with a community officer there. The whole place is impressive to be honest, excellent community programmes, conferencing and hospitality providing incomes on non match days. Fat pay cheque received after selling land to lidl supermarket, Safe standing introduced / legends flags. and the whole place had a feel of being a slick operation.
On the footballing side Ricketts has built an impressive team, including a Head of performance, development coach, gk coach, fitness coach, recruitment analyst, sports therapist

This is a club who had a plan in 2006 , selling their old ground,providing funds for years ahead.. They're reaping the rewards now, creating a competitive side in league 1.. All this under a local private owner.

By comparison , we have been a shambles over the last decade , no foresight, no long term planning ,,,

History shows Without significant funding it's highly unlikely we will leave the conference .

So how on earth do we intend to create those funds? What is our plan ?
Where do we want to be in 10 years , ? and how do we intend to get there ?

Under Fan ownership , I can't see us making any progress over the next decade
As the rumblings of discontent are beginning, I hope Us fans consider the bigger picture.
Don’t believe any of this. Just look at Bury - that’s what always happens.
Old 30th October 2019, 16.13:25   #6-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Don’t believe any of this. Just look at Bury - that’s what always happens.
how are Shrewsbury and Bury comparable. Explain please !!!!
Old 30th October 2019, 16.18:46   #7-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by red hills View Post
how are Shrewsbury and Bury comparable. Explain please !!!!
I think he was being sarcastic mate
Old 30th October 2019, 16.57:03   #8-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: The Kop...I wish!

http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17872047

Not a fan of the way the current trust board is running things. But it is not as simplistic as the OP makes out. Shrews have had a decent and "honest" chairman in place. Sorted out their financial problems and made gradual progress off and on the pitch.
If Moss/ Hamilton etc had been honest and said we will sell the Racecourse to a developer and move to a stadium out of town. We would be in a different position now.
If Moss had kept his promise of ploughing the money from the student flats back into the club. We would be in a different position now.
If the current board had learnt from the Davies debacle, then Barrow/ Hughes and Keates wouldn't have been appointed and we would be in a different position now.

Last edited by International; 30th October 2019 at 16.58:50..
Old 30th October 2019, 17.06:52   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Shrewsbury have a modern approach that required investment before it became sustainable.

We are stuck in the 20th century. Most successful clubs are playing in either completely redeveloped stadia or purpose built facilities. We still cling on to the “oldest international stadium” tag.

I’d be more than happy to move to a modern stadium out of the town centre.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.44:21.