Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th January 2020, 21.13:04   #37-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Realistic Changes to Our Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
How on earth can you devote serious time and energy to that list and do another full ? time job too ?

There must be a world wide shortage of breakfast cereal or perhaps responsibilities as outlined don't receive as much attention as they would otherwise by someone dedicated to the role - makes you think.
Are people taking on too much responsibility to give it the time it requires ?
This was brought up at meet the manager night, the politician answer was it would cost about £80k for fulltime CEO and we are doing alright !! When questioned again about it & it's flaws , the answer was ...we are going around in circles here, let's move to next question !!!
Old 9th January 2020, 21.18:43   #38-0 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Kiwi View Post
Agree again eosceiriog

More of a yacht and less of a naval ship with weapons approach.

RACI is a mind numbing corporate culture to impose on a football club whose number one activity is driven by results on the pitch.

ENDS would be more relevant at the moment.

Egotisic, Narrow minded, Defensive, Stubborn
Got to say bit fed up of people misunderstanding what a RACI actually is. I totally understand why people dont get it. Its nothing to do woth corporate culture.

Its a tool predominantly used in project management where you have a matrix management approach to leading the activities of a number of people.

I could explain how they should work, but nobody cares. However the context of its use and its application at the football club is just totally wrong. It highlights a worrying point though.

Spencers job is in project management now I believe (seems like he is in a lesser role than his HR directors job now?). He seems to be employing tools and techniques he is familiar with despite them being out of context. Its a bit worrying that they are so devoid of ideas that they believe the principles of project management in a fmcg organisation are directly transferrable to running a football club.
Old 9th January 2020, 21.18:58   #39-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuxton_Forever red View Post
If we had brought in Keates and Davies, bombed off Darlington but brought in another coach that might have even helped.

Obviously you wont agree because Keates ran over your cat or something

Totally disagree non of them should of been brought back, why employ a manager who left you in the lurch 8 games to go? Why employ a failure who in a season destroyed his Hometown club and got them relegated? we were and still are in danger of relegation surely you get a manager with at least some relative successful experience? Or either way an old head like Brian Flynn for example.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 9th January 2020, 21.57:11   #40-0 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draigwrecsam View Post
These are Spencer Harris' roles as outlined in the Q&A

Spencer Harris HR, Governance & Line Management:

Line Management
•First Team / Youth Dept / Secretary

Board Governance
•Wrexham AFC business cycle
•Agendas
•Chair Board meetings
•Meeting management
•Board reports to WST

Human Resources

•Org Design
•People Administration

Only one simple change is needed. Transfer the "Line Management" roles directly to Dixie McNeil with no interference and let him get on with it.
I work in a utility company so different - but tracking these across to our leadership team

Our Director of Operations does what WFC call Line Management.
Our CEO and two NEDs split what WFC called ‘board governance’
Our HR Director does what WFC call HR.
Our Head of Comms does the Communications bit.
Our Director of Regulation does Business Strategy.

6-8 people working full time to do the eqv of a job that Spencer Harris does part time. I report directly to one of those so have first hand experience. Doing two of those jobs at our place (1600 colleagues) would be utterly impossible.

Also, lots of conversation here on the use of RACI. The way SH has articulated it shows he doesn’t understand it. It’s a project management tool that sets out responsibilities, not a performance management tool.
Old 9th January 2020, 22.12:46   #41-0 (permalink)
"It's Only A Game!"

Racecourse Spot: MRS

I've sold my shares in Kellog's!
Old 9th January 2020, 22.53:40   #42-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportRoadEnd View Post
I work in a utility company so different - but tracking these across to our leadership team

Our Director of Operations does what WFC call Line Management.
Our CEO and two NEDs split what WFC called ‘board governance’
Our HR Director does what WFC call HR.
Our Head of Comms does the Communications bit.
Our Director of Regulation does Business Strategy.

6-8 people working full time to do the eqv of a job that Spencer Harris does part time. I report directly to one of those so have first hand experience. Doing two of those jobs at our place (1600 colleagues) would be utterly impossible.

Also, lots of conversation here on the use of RACI. The way SH has articulated it shows he doesn’t understand it. It’s a project management tool that sets out responsibilities, not a performance management tool.
In every walk of life you also need answers - an answer or authorisation / agreement to proceed can go on to unlock 6 more actions and so on and so on involving far more people - but how can we realistically function like a smooth oiled engine if the bloke at the ships wheel is employed somewhere else and presumably for a great majority of the time non - functional ?
As the saying goes 'too many cooks spoil the broth or perhaps in our case we haven't got the cook in the kitchen long enough to even get the pan on the boil !'
Old 9th January 2020, 23.35:00   #43-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mold road trendy View Post
This was brought up at meet the manager night, the politician answer was it would cost about £80k for fulltime CEO and we are doing alright !! When questioned again about it & it's flaws , the answer was ...we are going around in circles here, let's move to next question !!!
As DelBoy might say 'We have players who dont perform, a manager who cannot manage to get the players playing and a coach who has managed make the players worse than they were before they joined the club.'

Rather than YMA O HYD, perhaps we could consider changing the introduction song at the start of each game to.......

Stick a pony in me pocket,
I'll fetch the suitcase from the van.
Cos if you want the best 'uns,
But you don't ask questions,
Then brother, I'm your man.
Cos where it all comes from is a mystery,
It's like the changin' of the seasons,
And the tides of the sea.
But here's the one that's drivin' me beserk,
Why do only fools and horses work?
La-la-la
La-lala-la
La-la-la
La-lala-la.

We've got some half price cracked ice and miles and miles of carpet
tiles,
T.V.s, deep freeze and David Bowie L.P.s,
Ball games, gold chains, whatshisnames, pictures frames and leather
goods,
And Trevor Francis track suits from a mush in Shepherds Bush,
Bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush .......
No income tax, no V.A.T.,
No money back, no guarantee,
Black or white, rich or poor,
We'll cut prices at a stroke......
God bless Hooky Street,
Viva Hooky Street,
Long live Hooky Street,
C'est magnifique, Hooky Street,
Magnifique, Hooky Street,
Hooky Street.............

Last edited by eastsussexred; 9th January 2020 at 23.44:58..
Old 10th January 2020, 00.39:54   #44-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: A red seat, not a blue one

Quote:
Originally Posted by -luke View Post
Got to say bit fed up of people misunderstanding what a RACI actually is. I totally understand why people dont get it. Its nothing to do woth corporate culture.

Its a tool predominantly used in project management where you have a matrix management approach to leading the activities of a number of people.

I could explain how they should work, but nobody cares. However the context of its use and its application at the football club is just totally wrong. It highlights a worrying point though.

Spencers job is in project management now I believe (seems like he is in a lesser role than his HR directors job now?). He seems to be employing tools and techniques he is familiar with despite them being out of context. Its a bit worrying that they are so devoid of ideas that they believe the principles of project management in a fmcg organisation are directly transferrable to running a football club.
No need to feel fed up, everyones interpretation of RACI is different.

It seems fairly obvious that project management and a matrix management approach are more likely to be found within corporate culture (companies with a large number of employees) such as fmcs organisations than down at the local corner shop.

When you study the long list of SH's responsibilities at WAFC it is profoundly ridiculous. No one who has a busy full time job could undertake all of that as a volunteer and do it successfully. What it looks like is a list to satisfy and justify a sense of control and influence, rather than indicate a true reflection of responsible performance.
Old 10th January 2020, 05.45:07   #45-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  

I'd hazard a theory that there are any number of professional football club chairmen (and women) who have full-time roles with their businesses and are only working as f.c. chairs on an as-and-when necessary basis.

There are obviously some roles at the club that are full time - Geraint's being one of those for example. A list of those roles would be good to see in order that we - as owners, remember! - can help judge whether or not the line manager should be full-time or part time.

The list of Harris's duties does seem excessive, but if he was only performing each one of them on an occasional basis, would they be excessive in reality? A silly example perhaps would be a man working alone in his business buying and selling on the internet. He would be the I.T. expert, the salesman, the HR expert, the office boy, the accounts clerk, and would even be the office cleaner. However, as he's the only person on the premises his office cleaning duties might only take a few minutes a week running around with a vacuum cleaner... see what I mean?

Not many of us on RP will know exactly what is involved in running the club from top to bottom, and can have no idea therefore about staffing levels needed or the hours required to fulfill the duties.

Another more relevant example might seem to be that of the coach. Does it seem reasonable for a coach to work only one day (for how many hours?) with a squad of 30 players who work for what seems to be only a few hours a day 5 days a week (if that!)

Large companies often involve their middle management in interminable meetings. I deal with one in particular employing over 1,000 staff where my contact there is very rarely available when required by customers. "Sorry - he's in a meeting" is the regular and tedious reply to calls. Do people who volunteer for smaller businesses from such organisations bring with them the constant need to be "in meetings" rather than getting to grips with actual problem solving? I do get the need for some meetings to discuss and analyse solutions with colleagues, but there's more to running a business than that.

The guy above who's always in a meeting when I need him loses many sales to his competition when he can't be contacted...but that's no reason to extend his working hours from 40 to 80 a week. Better to address the time-management structure of the business instead.

Last edited by The Only Way Is Up; 10th January 2020 at 05.49:22..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 21.56:03.