Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th January 2020, 13.23:26   #28-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info)

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Hays Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirral Red View Post
Carbon offsetting is available , I did it for my last foreign holiday.
It might be a good idea if it was a compulsory element of every air fare.
Its a big con.

It is mainly for the rich so the likes of Elton John/the Royals can take private jets around the world and feel okay about it.

Its just the rest of us they want to preach to about climate change and to stop flying.
Old 16th January 2020, 13.39:20   #29-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
Love your positivity , any reason for your comment.
Prehaps some research needs to be done on your part, like the ocean being polluted and the effects that is having on global warming.

Depending on where the trees are planted it only works 50% of the year max. No environment groups support it either, as it doesn't encourage a reduction in all areas that cause pollution.
Old 16th January 2020, 14.00:00   #30-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Tech End.

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2336311]Prehaps some research needs to be done on your part, like the ocean being polluted and the effects that is having on global warming.

How condescending.
I regularly take part in climate action campaigns and correspond with my local authority climate officer to try to get the council to improve its performance regarding recycling food waste instead of sending it to landfill.
My question to your facetious answer was simply trying to find out why you think carbon offsetting is a scam.
Old 16th January 2020, 14.04:18   #31-0 (permalink)

(info)

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2336323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo View Post
Prehaps some research needs to be done on your part, like the ocean being polluted and the effects that is having on global warming.

How condescending.
I regularly take part in climate action campaigns and correspond with my local authority climate officer to try to get the council to improve its performance regarding recycling food waste instead of sending it to landfill.
My question to your facetious answer was simply trying to find out why you think carbon offsetting is a scam.
'Even in the case of energy-based schemes, however, many people argue that offsetting is unhelpful – or even counterproductive – in the fight against climate change. For example, writer George Monbiot famously compared carbon offsets with the ancient Catholic church's practice of selling indulgences: absolution from sins and reduced time in purgatory in return for financial donations to the church. Just as indulgences allowed the rich to feel better about sinful behaviour without actually changing their ways, carbon offsets allow us to "buy complacency, political apathy and self-satisfaction", Monbiot claimed. "Our guilty consciences appeased, we continue to fill up our SUVs and fly round the world without the least concern about our impact on the planet … it's like pushing the food around on your plate to create the impression that you have eaten it.'
Old 16th January 2020, 16.33:32   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2336323]
Quote:

How condescending.
Oh, it wasn't a facetious answer, it's the truth.

Yet you've fallen for a scam that is carbon offsetting, no environmental group supports them, so I'm surprised given your background you've used such scams.
Old 16th January 2020, 17.12:56   #33-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techender View Post
Genuine question on climate change.

Firstly, let me say I do believe man is having an impact here.

However, whenever there is talk about changes in global temperatures, it is always qualified by the term "hottest since records began"

I believe proper climate records began in about 1840 - which in terms of the earths existence, is the blink of an eye away.

However, evidence does exist of tropical forests being found across many Northern countries, and we have also got records of ice fairs being held on the Thames during the middle ages.

Surely this then indicates that the climate has changed significantly previously, and also prior to the industrial era.

Therefore is it right to say climate change is a man made phenomena that we can really influence? or is man just speeding up a natural cycle in the earth's climate which has happened previously i.e. before records began, and while we may be able to influence the speed of that change, is saying we can reverse it, really realistic?

Not a scientist and I don't even pretend to know any of the answers, but when I hear people saying this is a man made problem, I always question myself if it is.

Much like this.

https://news.sky.com/story/climate-c...leash-11889776
Old 16th January 2020, 19.06:42   #34-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

I want to travel to the other side of the world from time to time, and I don't have the money, time or skill to travel there by yacht.
Old 16th January 2020, 19.29:51   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Tech End.

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2336406]
Quote:

Oh, it wasn't a facetious answer, it's the truth.

Yet you've fallen for a scam that is carbon offsetting, no environmental group supports them, so I'm surprised given your background you've used such scams.
About your Offset

WWF endorses the Gold Standard for carbon offsets in the energy sector. Gold Standard projects are high-quality initiatives that make investments in clean energy or efficient production and also contribute to the sustainable development of the countries in which they are hosted.

From World Wildlife Fund.
I'd still like to know what you see as a scam.
Old 16th January 2020, 20.37:28   #36-0 (permalink)

(info)

[QUOTE=Wirral Red;2336455]
Quote:

About your Offset

WWF endorses the Gold Standard for carbon offsets in the energy sector. Gold Standard projects are high-quality initiatives that make investments in clean energy or efficient production and also contribute to the sustainable development of the countries in which they are hosted.

From World Wildlife Fund.
I'd still like to know what you see as a scam.

Only the 'Gold standard though - the text below is taken from Joint statement on offsetting carbon emissions - by Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and WWF-UK:

Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and WWF recognise that a market for voluntary carbon offsets is rapidly developing, and that these can be used to help catalyse the transition to non-fossil fuel based energy systems in offset host countries and to encourage greater energy efficiency. Carbon offsets do not, however, reduce emissions overall and therefore purchasing offsets should only be seen as a last resort after other measures to reduce or avoid emissions have been thoroughly explored and acted upon. As environmental campaigners, we are concerned about the potential of these projects to be used as a way for businesses to argue there is no need for legislation that will curb emissions from their sector. Purchasing offsets can be seen as an easy way out for governments, businesses and individuals to continue polluting without making changes to the way they do business or their behaviour. In particular there are strong concerns over the environmental credibility of the credits and the contribution of the projects to sustainable development.

I still prefer my earlier post - more accurate I think.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.58:31.