RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Was it a penalty ? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115370-penalty.html)

Red Light 2nd February 2020 09.25:39

Was it a penalty ?

The biggest talking point of yesterday's match - should Dagenham & Redbridge have been awarded a first half penalty ?

D & R striker number 25 House in the box cutting inform the left when he goes down. Before he hit the deck I was resigned to the frustrating fact that we had conceded a penalty - couldn't believe it when the ref didn't give it and yellow carded their player.

From my position right infront of the incident from the Tech End it was a cast iron penalty.

The BT Sport highlights show didn't cover the incident so perhaps we will have to wait and see for some footage - much of course depends on the camera positions and what view the referee had of the incident - I think we got out of jail with that one.

What do others think ?

Hometown Unicorn 2nd February 2020 09.26:57

Re: Was it a penalty ?

Dive.

northwalian dragon 2nd February 2020 10.01:54

Luke Young stood with his hand on his head so he thought it was a a penalty

blackbrookred 2nd February 2020 10.04:40

Penalty from where I was. Also a bit of a give away with youngs reaction and the fact that none of our players had a go at the lad when he went down.

jacthelad 2nd February 2020 10.04:47

I was right in front of it but daydreaming 😂😂. People round me couldn't beleive he got booked for diving
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

TWREX 2nd February 2020 10.08:10

First reaction was defo pen, just relieved when the ref disagreed.

Brinster 2nd February 2020 10.11:57

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2341067]Penalty from where I was. Also a bit of a give away with youngs reaction and the fact that none of our players had a go at the lad when he went down.[/QUOTE]

I think Leighton might have been having a few choice words with him while the player was still sat on the ground. Being the other side of the half way line to the incident I was not able to tell but the ref seemed pretty confident in his decision giving it without any hesitation. I know that's not a yardstick though as some of the refs we see are always confident with awful decisions.

blackbrookred 2nd February 2020 10.49:39

[QUOTE=Brinster;2341071]I think Leighton might have been having a few choice words with him while the player was still sat on the ground. Being the other side of the half way line to the incident I was not able to tell but the ref seemed pretty confident in his decision giving it without any hesitation. I know that's not a yardstick though as some of the refs we see are always confident with awful decisions.[/QUOTE]

Let's remember the ref gave a foul after their keeper collided with their player.

Pieman 2nd February 2020 10.51:13

Ive seen em given was my first thoughts. The ref was adamant it was a dive. To be fair the ref was up with play and had a good view so credit him for that

Red Light 2nd February 2020 11.30:13

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2341077]Let's remember the ref gave a foul after their keeper collided with their player.[/QUOTE]

That too was a strange decision - late second half keeper and defender collide with each other with Hooper two yards away yet Hooper got penalized.
The only other explanation was the ref blew up for offside but don't think that was the case.

All in all not one of those games where the ref was centre stage & busy and the two teams were kicking lumps out of each other - yet games are won and lost on the referees decisions.

Extended highlights will make interesting viewing this week.

Sean Reckless 2nd February 2020 13.02:44

On his way down before the tackle

jonesfach 2nd February 2020 13.51:53

[QUOTE=Sean Reckless;2341107]On his way down before the tackle[/QUOTE]

Yes. LY put his foot there but there was minimal if any contact and lad made no attempt to stay on feet. Fair play to the ref he saw it exactly right, however a lot of other refs would have given the penalty

Halkynred 2nd February 2020 15.22:02

From the Yale looked pen, surprised and relieved ref pointed to player.

Willywill 2nd February 2020 16.35:21

The ref was quite close to the action, so I will support his decision. There is so much play acting by players nowadays, it might just have been a case of crying Wolf.

moynkeepthefaith 2nd February 2020 16.59:45

[QUOTE=jonesfach;2341114]Yes. LY put his foot there but there was minimal if any contact and lad made no attempt to stay on feet. Fair play to the ref he saw it exactly right, however a lot of other refs would have given the penalty[/QUOTE]

Looking straight at it and that’s exactly how I saw it - Amazing to have two such incidents in successive games.

Arsesix 2nd February 2020 17.03:55

Couldn't see past the group standing in the middle behind the goal..

Lets Av A Riot 2nd February 2020 17.06:57

[QUOTE=Red Light;2341046]The biggest talking point of yesterday's match - should Dagenham & Redbridge have been awarded a first half penalty ?

D & R striker number 25 House in the box cutting inform the left when he goes down. Before he hit the deck I was resigned to the frustrating fact that we had conceded a penalty - couldn't believe it when the ref didn't give it and yellow carded their player.

From my position right infront of the incident from the Tech End it was a cast iron penalty.

The BT Sport highlights show didn't cover the incident so perhaps we will have to wait and see for some footage - much of course depends on the camera positions and what view the referee had of the incident - I think we got out of jail with that one.

What do others think ?[/QUOTE]

imo 100% dive... deserved the yellow card. and thats being unbiased

RedArmy123 2nd February 2020 19.44:35

I thought he’d point to the spot when he blew his whistled. Must admit I thought it was a penalty

John Neals Dynasty 2nd February 2020 22.18:55

My first thought was a dive but Young was lucky as most refs would of given it.

Lods 2nd February 2020 22.54:39

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-16zOZPgY8[/url]

@3:25 if you want to judge for yourself.

Side note: How they got 15 minute's worth of highlights from that game is beyond me.

northwalian dragon 2nd February 2020 23.46:41

[QUOTE=Lods;2341213][url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-16zOZPgY8[/url]

Side note: How they got 15 minute's worth of highlights from that game is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know why the highlights are always dragged out so much

Almost 3 minutes of “highlights” at the start before a ball is even kicked

Multi angle slow-motion replays of absolutely nothing (see the Dagenham “shot” at 5 minutes. The slowest moving shot possible warrants a slow motion replay?!”)

1 minute 20 seconds of watching Jennings being injured

1 minute of footage of literally nothing whilst Jennings lies on the floor and Keates can’t decide whether to make a sub or not

Followed immediately by 30 seconds of footage of us making a sub instead of just using an info-graphic

krux 3rd February 2020 07.06:20

[QUOTE=Lods;2341213][url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-16zOZPgY8[/url]

Side note: How they got 15 minute's worth of highlights from that game is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

conclusive proof of the dive!

Red Light 3rd February 2020 07.20:13

[QUOTE=krux;2341225]conclusive proof of the dive![/QUOTE]

I still don't see any dive whatsoever - still a clear penalty for me.

Young connects with the right foot / ankle of House - his right leg moves towards his left with impact - and he was running in a straight line - he certainly wasn't falling as suggested by some prior to impact. The one camera dimension does n't help either - who would be a referee ?
Cannot see any reason why House would dive whilst steaming in on goal and virtually ready to pull the trigger.

There isn't any grey area in these type of incidents - refs seem to either give a penalty or declare a deliberate dive.

Hometown Unicorn 3rd February 2020 07.36:23

[QUOTE=Red Light;2341231]There isn't any grey area in these type of incidents - refs seem to either give a penalty or declare a deliberate dive.[/QUOTE]

Unless the player trips, those are the laws of the game.

Dafgog 3rd February 2020 08.41:14

Thought so at the time - now NO

BloodRed 3rd February 2020 09.13:08

Who would be a ref indeed.

On the highlights it looks like a dive but only him and Young will know if Young made contact with his swipe at the ball. As others have said Young's reaction is fairly telling. He looks resigned to the fact he has given away a pen and then quickly runs off looking fairly relieved when he realizes the ref has blown for the dive!

Anyway not given. Another ref no doubt a different decision.

techender 3rd February 2020 14.23:27

100% a dive. Young definitely removes his leg to avoid contact and the referees positioning is spot on. Have to say, on Saturday I did initially think it was a penalty - but that was from as far away as the Yale stand.

His leg suddenly went from potential compound fracture to no problem whatsoever as the yellow card appeared as well, which further indicates an Oscar is not beyond the reach of this budding thespian.

elles-dragon 3rd February 2020 14.43:26

If we had VAR the decision wouldn't have been over ruled as there wasn't a clear and obvious error.......mainly because Summerfield blocked the view of contact on the camera. So on that basis def no penalty. However same applies if the pen had been given.
Having 2 players booked for diving in consecutive games now is this something the refs have been instructed to clamp down on?
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

marinman 3rd February 2020 15.31:10

Dive.

spuderz123 3rd February 2020 17.42:05

To me it looked like a dive but Young's reaction was it was a pen. Someone needs to have a word with him

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.45:46.