RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Chesterfield reaction (3-2) (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115395-chesterfield-reaction-3-2-a.html)

Halkynred 8th February 2020 19.21:52

Re: Chesterfield reaction (3-2)

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2342505]In a key match when we are into injury time and want to maintain the 5 point gap, we should have kept our last minute corner in the corner, not give Chesterfield the opportunity to counter attack. 2-2 would have been a good result.[/QUOTE]

Agree, should have shut shop so bloody frustrating !!

Red Light 8th February 2020 19.23:18

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2342505]In a key match when we are into injury time and want to maintain the 5 point gap, we should have kept our last minute corner in the corner, not give Chesterfield the opportunity to counter attack. 2-2 would have been a good result.[/QUOTE]

In fairness in those closing minutes and added time it was us that was doing all the pressing - really thought that if there was going to be a winner it would be us - and we came close however they countered fast especially through Fondop.

It's all very well saying we should perhaps try and wind the clock down but perhaps the best way of defending is attack and keep it up the other end - the alternative would have been to sit back really deep with 10 men behind the ball - in hindsight and an end to a means in maintaining that 5 point gap it could have been the better option.

sparky 8th February 2020 19.24:30

[QUOTE=Blazes;2342500]A big problem is Keates's mindset:

Ok, it's 2-2. What do I do? Go all out for the win or hold on for a draw?

The answer to that question tells you exactly how DK normally thinks. And he ain't going to change any time soon.

I agree with Halkynred that there's no point in changing managers yet again, but whatever our position at the end of the season, we need to find someone with an Arsene Wenger MENTALITY...go out and win at all costs even if it means losing a few cos you are too attack-minded.[/QUOTE]

Forget players, forget tactics. Mindset is key, and our mindset of how to win a game of football is shocking, and it haa been since Darlington has stunk the place out.

Keates, Davies, Darlington. Get rid. Along with the club killers that employed them.

The Method Maws 8th February 2020 19.27:15

[QUOTE=Red Light;2342485]How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Just got back and still can't get my head around how we lost that match.

Good points - Harris was a revelation in midfield - just what has been missing.
Pontacelli was very promising, full of running and took his goal well.

We lacked composure and each time we took the lead were pegged back within four minutes - if given space and allowed to play that's what Chesterfield will do - and we fell for it.

Missed Pearson when he went off injured just after their second equalizer.

New loanee Garratt at left back was very poor, slow and a good yard off the pace - Hooper imitates a statue and expects everyone else to do the hard work and put the ball on a silver plate for him - but it was far better having two strikers - shame one of them wont do any running.

Lainton's handling wasn't the best - if you come to punch the ball you have to get distance on it and send it sideways from the goal, not deliver it back into the danger zone.

As for the controversial winner - the only man that knows if the ball crossed the line was the one in the best position to view it - the refs assistant - a massive call to make but he made it which suggests he was certain - it would have been easier to play on as the players did and we all thought we had got out of jail until that assistant flagged for a goal - cruel.

637 reds in attendance in a crowd of 3,728.

Thankfully Aldershot lost and Daggers only got one point v SCFC with a very late goal - we should have got three but in fairness looked good and had lots of possession and scoring chances especially in the last 10 minutes - perhaps in chasing the winner we went too gung ho and left us open to the counter attack.[/QUOTE]

Good post. Pretty much how I saw it. Chesterfield have improved since the cup game. So have we.

Jennings and Carra were missed. Cue the trolls/can’t kick a ball morons....

Lainton did mess up for the goal. But he was pressured by big guys throughout and dealt well with it. Made some cracking saves too. No fault there, lucky to have him.

Hooper was the weak link. Playing 2 up top showed it. Ponticelli looked loads better, he wanted it, Hooper is lazy and not up for the fight.

Wiltshire_Red 8th February 2020 19.31:38

[QUOTE=Red Light;2342510]In fairness in those closing minutes and added time it was us that was doing all the pressing - really thought that if there was going to be a winner it would be us - and we came close however they countered fast especially through Fondop.

It's all very well saying we should perhaps try and wind the clock down but perhaps the best way of defending is attack and keep it up the other end - the alternative would have been to sit back really deep with 10 men behind the ball - in hindsight and an end to a means in maintaining that 5 point gap it could have been the better option.[/QUOTE]

You were there so I appreciate your views on how it panned out. I wasn’t suggesting we sit back and wait for the inevitable, more hang onto it when we had the corner in the last couple of minutes and take what we’ve got.

Frustrating end to the game, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, probably in most instances Chesterfield would have counter attacked and it would have come to nothing. Although we do seem to have a tendency to concede in injury time throughout the season, whether it’s more than anyone else I don’t know.

Hopefully Fylde lose on Tuesday.

wrexhamandy 8th February 2020 20.22:26

Personally, last minute 2-2 and corner for us, I’m ok with us going for a winner. Would’ve been a great three points. We’d have all been utterly delighted with nobody mentioning the risk of it if it didn’t pan out the way it did. Appreciate I wasn’t there though so don’t have a feel for it, like if they were all out pressuring us and it’s backs to the wall then prob best run the clock down.

Keates reckon we are the 4th best team in the last 5 mins the last ten games. When you need a stat to help you out...

Tom wafc 8th February 2020 20.25:14

Any reason to why Fondop was being a total tw@t towards Wrexham fans?

Parcini 8th February 2020 20.41:16

[QUOTE=Tom wafc;2342524]Any reason to why Fondop was being a total tw@t towards Wrexham fans?[/QUOTE]

He did a lap of honour when he was subbed in the home fixture,lapping up the applause from the Yale.
Just a reaction to getting that goal late on I guess.
But my first thought when the commentator said of his antics was what a plonker!

RedArmy123 8th February 2020 21.14:37

[QUOTE=Tom wafc;2342524]Any reason to why Fondop was being a total tw@t towards Wrexham fans?[/QUOTE]

A man who thinks he’s a much better player than he actually is.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.56:38.