Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th February 2020, 14.01:31   #51-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Do we need an Investor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
I would expect an investor to be the new owner. Supporters trust could have a seat on the board as a minority interest, but I don't see anyone putting money into the WST model.
A supporters seat on the board is meaningless.
Old 11th February 2020, 14.19:48   #52-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

What we really need is a Swansea type of ownership unless fans are happy to watch the club go in a slower more painful way than a crooked owner.

The article is 7 yrs old have we progressed as a club?

For me the writing was on the wall when Bircham left, something kept quiet to this day by the Peaky Blinders as to why? I don't believe the reasons put out at the time by Bircham and Horne more to it than that.

Since they have gone the Peaky Blinders have made a complete cat's ass of the job on the footballing side, like kids playing a computer game.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 11th February 2020, 14.44:11   #53-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

The WST aka the fans have invested over the years, and prior to that the last big new investment under private ownership was 'bond day', which also came from the fans.

Will the next big external investment come from Welsh Gov cash? If so, would that be made to a private business (you could say yes with Aston Martin etc etc) or is it easier as it is a 'community' setup.

Lots of stats and arguments from both sides of the argument, but really everyone needs to put more effort into winning the euromillions
Old 11th February 2020, 15.02:30   #54-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Paddock

This debate is constantly focussed on fan owned versus private ownership.
To my mind it should be about well run or badly run.
Sadly things don't look to good at the moment.
Old 11th February 2020, 15.22:51   #55-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
A supporters seat on the board is meaningless.
no supporters seat on the board then.
Old 11th February 2020, 16.02:26   #56-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Surely Pete Jones and Spencer etc if they really wanted the club to move forward would want investment and actively seek it. I have read and heard comments saying quite the opposite. The fans are crying out for a bit of success. God help us if we get relegated the game will really be up then.
Old 11th February 2020, 16.27:06   #57-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

I think it’s hard to tell because for me, we have a big enough fanbase (despite declining attendances) that we shouldn’t need a benefactor to be competitive. What we DO need is a board who are able to take the club forward and recent years and events have shown little to suggest that’s the current people in charge.
Old 11th February 2020, 16.28:09   #58-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: mold road stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieman View Post
Surely Pete Jones and Spencer etc if they really wanted the club to move forward would want investment and actively seek it. I have read and heard comments saying quite the opposite. The fans are crying out for a bit of success. God help us if we get relegated the game will really be up then.
We will never know if there are investors out there as they hide behind the rules of governance and say they have no mandate to seek investment.

One potential investor who shall remain nameless took his money elsewhere a couple of years ago because he didn’t want the hassle.
Old 11th February 2020, 17.19:41   #59-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded View Post
i think it’s hard to tell because for me, we have a big enough fanbase (despite declining attendances) that we shouldn’t need a benefactor to be competitive. What we do need is a board who are able to take the club forward and recent years and events have shown little to suggest that’s the current people in charge.
this!.
Old 11th February 2020, 17.51:10   #60-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: A red seat

I still believe in the merits of Fan Ownership and am still a member of the WST, but I sadly don't feel the club has the right people to deliver success.

I also feel we are currently divided as a fan base (due to our predicament) and will remain at the bottom of the ocean while that situation prevails.

The last time we had significant success in the late 1970's (and we aren't needing to dream of that again, just a moderate amount of success) we had volunteers running the club. They all worked locally. They were all professional men and they all had other day jobs on top of their responsibilities as board directors.

Of course the football industry has changed hugely since that era but the requirements for success and team methodology hasn't.

Liverpool were incredibly successful then and are once again incredibly successful.

The Liverpool board worked as a team with a single mission and identified the right manager Bill Shankly, they held it together with the same philosophy for about 25 years and then lost the plot. Until once again they identified a real leader like Jurgen Klopp. And look at them now.

Manchester United did exactly the same with Alex Ferguson.

You need leaders to succeed in football.

Leaders of men.

Someone who you believe will take you to the top of the mountain.

Aka John Neal.

In wrexham's case it all started falling apart at the seams when the board personnel changed due to our success and the wrong type of individuals joined the board who were interested in the prestige and power that came with being a board director of a successful football club. That was completely the wrong approach then and is completely the wrong approach now. These individuals used to squabble over who sat closest to the chairman to show how important they were (next in line to the throne) In the end they all sat on different rows because they couldn't agree between themselves. Even as a young kid I thought it was pathetic and embarrassing for our club.

You need to feel humbled and flattered to be a board director and know you are working for the fans and in an incredibly privileged position to represent a club with an incredible history like Wrexham Football Club.

I do believe it needs local Wrexham people. And not wealthy, big time charlie outsiders. But it also does need the right sort of people to take this club forward.

edited for spelling.

Last edited by Welsh Kiwi; 11th February 2020 at 18.04:09..
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.55:20.