RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Albert Dunlop (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115422-albert-dunlop.html)

awill 15th February 2020 14.56:15

Albert Dunlop

Had an interesting talk to an old Wrexham player in the pub yesterday, and the name Albert Dunlop came up.
Any anoraks on here remember when Albert played for us other than in goal ?

dagg 15th February 2020 15.11:04

Re: Albert Dunlop

Dunlop's last game for Everton was to be the club's best post war moment as they beat Fulham at Goodison Park to clinch the 1962-63 League title, during the summer he was to leave and joined Wrexham. He then joined Rhyl in September 1965 as a goalkeeper initially, and by February 1966 had been appointed full-time manager and commercial director of the club. He was quite a flamboyant character, and when the club was going through a rough patch he once selected himself as centre-forward to see what the problems were at first hand.[citation

awill 15th February 2020 15.46:44

[QUOTE=dagg;2343721]Dunlop's last game for Everton was to be the club's best post war moment as they beat Fulham at Goodison Park to clinch the 1962-63 League title, during the summer he was to leave and joined Wrexham. He then joined Rhyl in September 1965 as a goalkeeper initially, and by February 1966 had been appointed full-time manager and commercial director of the club. He was quite a flamboyant character, and when the club was going through a rough patch he once selected himself as centre-forward to see what the problems were at first hand.[citation[/QUOTE]

Very interesting, but he played ‘out’ for us once !

brymboman 15th February 2020 16.14:05

Did he get injured in a cup match and Ernie Phythian went in goal in the days before subs and Dunlop came back on as an outfield player

Inside Left 15th February 2020 16.17:31

Shall we just call him a colourful character.

ianmoir 15th February 2020 17.14:48

One of my favourite Wrexham players.

awill 15th February 2020 17.22:38

[QUOTE=brymboman;2343727]Did he get injured in a cup match and Ernie Phythian went in goal in the days before subs and Dunlop came back on as an outfield player[/QUOTE]

He did indeed, well done. I was beginning to think I was the only sad b,****** on
here.
1963 F A Cup at Altrincham. Albert got injured(shoulder I think). Ernie Phythian went in goal and Albert moved to an outside right(ish) role.
The match was abandoned in 2nd.half due to fog,and replayed following midweek.
So, I suppose it wasn't an official appearance.
Nevertheless,a bit of nostalgia.

eosceiriog 15th February 2020 17.27:14

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2343728]Shall we just call him a colourful character.[/QUOTE]

He had a good game at Tranmere with the fans chanting for him!!!!

awill 15th February 2020 18.52:39

[QUOTE=eosceiriog;2343737]He had a good game at Tranmere with the fans chanting for him!!!![/QUOTE]

Yeh, didn't he let 5 or 6 in ?!?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 17.15:32.