Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th February 2020, 13.48:04   #37-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Keates Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
But he could only improve us by throwing money at it and that improvement has been a real slow process.. The majority of this squad came pretty close to winning the league so you could argue a very good manager would have come in after BH and turned things around a lot faster, seeing us make real progress up the league.

Fact remains when he came in at the beginning of October we were in a relegation battle, its now almost March and we still are. There's been ample time for him to pull us clear, he hasn't been able to even with January spending.

I just don't rate him, as everyone has probably guessed. The way he sets his team up is ultimately negative and designed to win games 1-0. I'm far from convinced he's good enough to manage us and is far inferior to Ricketts in every single way.

Happily eat my words this time next season, obviously.
I also do not rate him but am prepared to accept that he may just have learned from a chastening experience at Walsall. I saw more entertainment for example in the woking game and away at Harrogate than in his entire time here first time round. We all suspected that we (to be fair the board) had unearthed a jewel in Ricketts but life in the 5th tier came back to bite us.
We need to get out of this league and obviously in an upward rather than downward way !
Old 24th February 2020, 15.11:50   #38-0 (permalink)
"It's Only A Game!"

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Last time around, he got us into a playoff position with desperately boring and negative football. Would we settle for that again next season? Hmmm....

This time, I'm encouraged by all the signings he's made (including Reid who's injury meant we didn't see enough of him for a full assessment). His recruitment appears to be attack minded and (is it after Dixie had a word?) and the approach seems more positive. I think we will avoid the drop (especially if only 3 go down) and then it will be down to his Summer recruitment - will he get these players to sign for another year?
Old 24th February 2020, 19.09:48   #39-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: none given

I very much agree in what's been said, but Keates has a lot to prove before I'm on his side. It's going to be a long summer for him and I hope he'll let go the long term players in our squad if humble pie is dished out next May so be it and I'll eat my share.
Old 24th February 2020, 20.15:03   #40-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by draigwrecsam View Post
Last time around, he got us into a playoff position with desperately boring and negative football. Would we settle for that again next season? Hmmm....

This time, I'm encouraged by all the signings he's made (including Reid who's injury meant we didn't see enough of him for a full assessment). His recruitment appears to be attack minded and (is it after Dixie had a word?) and the approach seems more positive. I think we will avoid the drop (especially if only 3 go down) and then it will be down to his Summer recruitment - will he get these players to sign for another year?
That style of play might get us into a playoff position but it us nowhere near good enough to beat 3 good teams in back to back playoff matches. Simply you need fire power to get through the playoffs
Old 24th February 2020, 20.18:49   #41-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

I've just watched the highlights of the Bromley game and we are a different team. The front 3 are lively and we haven't had that type of energy and guile in the side for quite some time. Davis Keillor Dunn and Ponticelli look good players as does Jarvis. Without getting to over optimistic we are going in the right direction.

Redvest
Old 24th February 2020, 22.55:02   #42-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Redvest

100% agree
Old 25th February 2020, 02.39:16   #43-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Guess the bar has been set low....
Old 25th February 2020, 07.11:34   #44-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

Stats are facts I’m afraid and his win % as a manager is 33% which absolutely doesn’t make him a decent manager. I think we showed a lack of common sense when reappointing him.
Old 25th February 2020, 07.51:51   #45-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
But he could only improve us by throwing money at it and that improvement has been a real slow process.. The majority of this squad came pretty close to winning the league so you could argue a very good manager would have come in after BH and turned things around a lot faster, seeing us make real progress up the league.

Fact remains when he came in at the beginning of October we were in a relegation battle, its now almost March and we still are. There's been ample time for him to pull us clear, he hasn't been able to even with January spending.

I just don't rate him, as everyone has probably guessed. The way he sets his team up is ultimately negative and designed to win games 1-0. I'm far from convinced he's good enough to manage us and is far inferior to Ricketts in every single way.

Happily eat my words this time next season, obviously.
The majority of the squad may have been here last season but the quality of the squad is worse. We also never replaced Walker.

The biggest issue, though, was not the ability of the players in the first eleven but more so the toxic culture within the club. Changing a culture over night is particularly difficult. It often takes months.

To help him with this, he's brought players in. New players, with new enthusiasm etc help drive a change in culture. These players are also better than previous squad members.

Repeating your mantra re. we're still in a relegation battle is true but is also too simplistic. This season, we are only 2 points off the final points tally for the team that finished 21st with 11 games left. The league is squashed with very little difference for this stage in the season with only 10 points separating 7th and 20th. so even though we've improved, others have too.

Bartonbank's stats showed that we're clearly getting better. While I wish we were further up the table it would be churlish to say we haven't seen a big improvement since Hughes' reign.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.09:04.