Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st March 2020, 01.42:10   #1-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default WFC Hall of Fame

Proud of the fact that our HoF was established by our Supporters Association all those years ago. Saw a post today regarding our famous LC win over the Spurs at White Hart Lane in 1975/76. Loved the fact that 6 of that that side are members of HoF . Think our judgement , over the years , was pretty sound . Absolutely delighted to confirm , after some doubt , that Mickey Metcalf , a hero of mine from scoring a hat-trick v First Division Blackburn Rovers in 1960/61 League Cup , has been officially accepted as one true WAFC Legend .
Old 21st March 2020, 08.34:42   #2-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Default Re: WFC Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafc1926 View Post
Proud of the fact that our HoF was established by our Supporters Association all those years ago. Saw a post today regarding our famous LC win over the Spurs at White Hart Lane in 1975/76. Loved the fact that 6 of that that side are members of HoF . Think our judgement , over the years , was pretty sound . Absolutely delighted to confirm , after some doubt , that Mickey Metcalf , a hero of mine from scoring a hat-trick v First Division Blackburn Rovers in 1960/61 League Cup , has been officially accepted as one true WAFC Legend .
Vital we keep the link between past, present and future, especially in these trying times. When the restrictions are eventually lifted it will be vital we bring in some worthy, future candidates to help lift us out of both the real gloom and the gloom of being in NL football.

Essentially, we should never give up despite all the challenges!
Old 21st March 2020, 09.12:32   #3-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS

I suspect Mickey is also a member of Chester’s Hall of Fame. Are there any others who appear in both or are likely to in the future?
Old 22nd March 2020, 07.49:31   #4-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Behind the guy with the big Afro :-(
Twitter: @COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterrobin View Post
I suspect Mickey is also a member of Chester’s Hall of Fame. Are there any others who appear in both or are likely to in the future?
Gary?
Old 22nd March 2020, 11.43:40   #5-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Coch View Post
Gary?
Have to say I cannot think of any other player who individually gave us more pure joy and entertainment than Gary Bennett.

Don't think Chester hold him in high regard once he left the dark side and saw the light - similar to Graham Barrow.

Trying to think of any other players who played for both clubs in recent years.

Ian Edwards - of that Match of the Day fame - long distance volley at Derby.

Nick Richardson - midfielder

Kevin Roberts - right back.
Old 22nd March 2020, 13.24:52   #6-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Quote:
You mean Chester's "Dark understairs cupboard of fame"
Old 22nd March 2020, 13.47:01   #7-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
There are others, notably Brian Lloyd, Ian Moir, Sammy McMillan, Stuart Mason, Elfed Morris etc etc.
Old 22nd March 2020, 17.22:16   #8-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Out of interest, what criteria is used to decide which ex players are entered into the hall of fame and who makes the decisions ?
Old 24th March 2020, 09.30:20   #9-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Out of interest, what criteria is used to decide which ex players are entered into the hall of fame and who makes the decisions ?
The Supporters Association initiated the awards in 2002. We had a sub-committee of 5 who met each August /Sept to discuss and select inductees. We started off with an initial 20 which proved easier than you might think. Key figures in the Club's history really stand out.From 2003 to 2008 inclusive we elected 5 each year. We adopted a policy of inclusiveness from the start , recognising players , managers, other WAFC staff who had given outstanding service and achieved great things at the Club. We also had a rarely given Special Award for those who , whilst not employed by the Club , had contributed in a highly significant way. Two of these Special Awards were given to Carroll Clark in 2005 ( marking 40 years on the SA committee and 30 years ....now 45 years ...as Chairman ) and WST as a group in 2006 (for obvious reasons).
With several of us on the HoF sub-committee due for retirement , it was agreed to hand the Hall of Fame over to the Wrexham Supporters Federation. Sadly , it was allowed to lapse but I understand plans are in hand to revive the Awards shortly. I wish them well.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.54:44.